Fox 40 - Lubrication of Lowers

hmcleay

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,

I've just inherited a set of used Fox 40s, and am part way through servicing them.
The Fox website recommends 50mL of 7wt (for pre-2010 model) in each leg for lubrication of the lowers.

Have any of you guys tried using other oil for lubrication?
I have often used engine oil in the lowers on my boxxers, and it seems to 'hang around' the bushings better than a thinner oil would.
So i'm considering also using engine oil for the lowers on the 40s, but thought i'd get some feedback first.

7wt oil seems like it would drain away from the bushings way too quicky (esp if your bike is stored upright all the time). But on the other hand, maybe it splashes around better than a thicker oil would while riding.

Have any of you experimented with different oils?

Cheers,
Hugh.

Likes Dirt
Not sure how that would go but , try tipping ur bike upside down before riding to get that oil up onto the bushes, really makes a noticeable difference .

Last edited:

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its for lubrication only. Doesnt really make much difference aslong as its not thick used sump oil.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Engine oil (specifically diesel oil) is better equipped to deal with the rigors of lower lubrication than suspension fluid which is designed to resist foaming.

If you use a 10w something it will be acting like a 10 weight all the time anyway, which is fine in lowers.

glorystp

Banned
just stick any FORK oil in them and they will be right, it does not mater about the thicknes of the oil because it is not use for the rebowned compreshion, they are in that chamber.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just stick any FORK oil in them and they will be right, it does not mater about the thicknes of the oil because it is not use for the rebowned compreshion, they are in that chamber.
Please, don't post.

Every single thing you have ever posted on this site has been utter dribble.

Take what little brain cells you have, and open jars for a living.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use ~100ml of oil per leg, and mix it with float fluid/red rum/whatever thick mineral oil you have to make it stickier. You can even mix slick honey in to fork oil to get a thick, sticky mix that'll work great in them ;)