Frame bearing press and extractor

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I want to do the frame/suspension bearings on my carbon frame. What kit are people using to extract/ press in the bearings? Other than Park which I know is great but I can't afford. So that probably knocks out half of you...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What frame? Are any of the bearing spacers notched to allow easy removal, or old school evil?

The chainstay to seat stay bearings, double blind?

DMan

I do mine with a cheapy internal bearing remover set. $50 off eBay. There are plenty of similar ones available.
Then install with a bit of threaded rod and appropriately sized nuts, washers or sockets/spacers.
Cool. Along similar lines to what I was thinking

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
I use a similar eBay slide hammer kit for removal. In the past I’ve just used some threaded rod/washers/sockets for install but I’ve just picked up a set of drifts from Aliexpress. About $50 I think, includes a stack of different size drifts so hoping it will cover me for many frames to come…

slowmick

38-39"
I got the AliExpress bearing press kit that LabCanary has from eBay. Works a treat even with a muppet on the handles. so satisfying pressing the new bearings in. I think it was about $80 delivered. It's the one with the blue anodised drifts. There a mountains of sellers on both eBay and AliExpress.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I use a similar eBay slide hammer kit for removal. In the past I’ve just used some threaded rod/washers/sockets for install but I’ve just picked up a set of drifts from Aliexpress. About $50 I think, includes a stack of different size drifts so hoping it will cover me for many frames to come…
Links?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I got the AliExpress bearing press kit that LabCanary has from eBay. Works a treat even with a muppet on the handles. so satisfying pressing the new bearings in. I think it was about $80 delivered. It's the one with the blue anodised drifts. There a mountains of sellers on both eBay and AliExpress.
This one has been in my cart for ages. Eventually I will grab one also. Very handy kit.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

DMan

Yep, @link1896 told me to go to them too. Just having an email chat and I'll grab some bling from them

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Just double check what your frame surface is like around the bearing. If it isn't square or flat with the bearing then the BearingProTools may not work properly. My carbon Giant Trance has several bearings like this and I had to make some custom press cups.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Just double check what your frame surface is like around the bearing. If it isn't square or flat with the bearing then the BearingProTools may not work properly. My carbon Giant Trance has several bearings like this and I had to make some custom press cups.
Yep, indeed these bike manufacturers treat the products as disposable, with zero concern for service and maintenance.

I’ve made some extraction supports from devcon metal putty in the past. Next batch I’ll be using forged carbon fibre and a two part mould.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I use a similar eBay slide hammer kit for removal. In the past I’ve just used some threaded rod/washers/sockets for install
Same here, I just used threaded bar, sockets and washers. Wouldn't mind a proper kit one day.

DMan

I went with their expanding puller so we'll see...

Reactions: PJO

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The slide hammers love to destroy the inner bearing race, balls drop out and you’re left with a outer race stuck in the frame. Slow and gentle is the answer, haven’t you been listening?

Outer race stuck in a carbon frame in a blind hole like the chain stay to seat stay pivots, you’re on a rocket to the land of fucked, population “you”

Litenbror

Eats Squid
The slide hammers love to destroy the inner bearing race, balls drop out and you’re left with a outer race stuck in the frame. Slow and gentle is the answer, haven’t you been listening?

Outer race stuck in a carbon frame in a blind hole like the chain stay to seat stay pivots, you’re on a rocket to the land of fucked, population “you”
More hammer yeah?