Frame protection: Invisiframe or Frameskin?

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Howdy folks.

Am just about to get my hands on my first carbon-fibre frame - a Bronson - and am being overly paranoid coming from years of metal bikes but am after advice on which of these two frame protection setups people prefer/rate the best?

Any and all opinions welcome!

Cheers,

JW

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Can't speak on Invisiframe but have installed Frameskin on a carbon Trance; for about $100 I don't regret the purchase. It is a bit fiddly to install, but if you take your wheels off and take your time it goes on pretty easily. I didn't dip the pieces in water as recommended as it made it too sloppy to apply; a spray bottle to wet the frame and each piece of skin was enough to allow you to place and locate each bit before the adhesive took hold.

My only real criticism is that rear triangle protection is limited to the outward facing parts of chainstays and seatstays (at least the kit I got was like this), when it would be much better if it covered the inside as well. On my first ride after applying the Frameskin, the rear tire picked up a rock and it flung off onto the inside top edge of a chainstay and took a nice big chip out of the paintwork. Only cosmetic damage but could have been avoided with better Frameskin coverage. Some of that Rhino tape in addition to the Frameskin would probably solve that problem if the kit for the Bronson has similar lack of protection.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've applied Frameskin to more bikes than I care to mention. It fits well, looks great and protects reasonably well. The thicker 3M product isn't die cut and I've not seen as many matte finishes with them but they're thicker and so it protects better. It's also cheaper.

Depends what's most important...
Look on EBay as there are sellers promoting wide tape you can cut yourself.

If I were looking to do a bike today I'd only consider Frameskin if I needed a bespoke cut or it had to be matte finish.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I had frameskin on my old carbon bike and was not impressed. The cut outs were good but it went yellow after around 8 months. Emails querying this went unanswered

Have Invisframe on my frame for a few years now and no issues.

The other option as mentioned is getting some off eBay and cutting it yourself, more time consuming but would save a bit of coin.

tektek

Likes Dirt
I've used both and find that invisiframe is cheaper (the seller is also very helpful with prompt responses) and is easier to apply. Out of the 2 kits I have bought, Epic (frameskin) and Hightower (invisiframe) the invisiframe one covers more of the frame.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I did my carbon Sight with frame skin 12 months ago and just did a carbon patrol last week with invisiframe. The latter was cheaper (basically added fork protection and postage for free on the frame skin price), easier to apply and provides significantly better coverage. 2 days after application any little dots, bubbles(I mean tiny ones) were gone and you really have to look hard to see it.
I'd definitely go invisiframe again. Money well spent.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Just use mud? Don't wash it and it won't scratch! Or something like that.

I'd cover key areas with some clear strip off eBay you can cut yourself. People online say helicopter tape, but that yellows quite badly, so unless your bike is yellow, steer clear.

I have a Matt black Ibis and the only real marks I have on the frame are ones that a thin film wouldn't have stopped, I.e. chain suck cutting a chunk out of the chain stay. Otherwise it is relatively scratch free. Your mileage may vary with painted frames, especially if you consider a trek.