Frame Protection

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
New bike, and the forum's search function is shite.

Folks, frameskin don't have a kit for a Norco Optic - and I need some good options to protect the shiny green paint.

I see pushys have some 'All Mountain Style' stuff, but it seems... small. What are your thoughts?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
New bike, and the forum's search function is shite.

Folks, frameskin don't have a kit for a Norco Optic - and I need some good options to protect the shiny green paint.

I see pushys have some 'All Mountain Style' stuff, but it seems... small. What are your thoughts?
A big roll of helicopter tape and make your own

haritone

Likes Dirt
Honestly, I don't rate Frameskin at all.
The customer service is outright poor - emails are flatly ignored.
I ended up getting one for my Yeti from an online store in NZ and found that the panels did not fit nicely either.
I've sinced used a motorbike skin from Supercheap Auto that does the job for a fraction of the price and I can cut and place it wherever and however I want.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
What you see underneath the downtube here is motorbike tank skin - it's thick & tough. Any motorbike store will have sheets of it, and it's not expensive:

moman

Likes Dirt
I went to my local car protection place that does vinyl wraps and bought a metre of suntek (3M, expel etc.). Got a small squeegee from them also.

A lint free cloth, a pair of scissors, soapy water, Isopropyl alcohol and a couple of hours later, presto.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went for 3M tape and bought mine off EBay. Cost a fraction of the price. It's nice and wide @ 50mm and you can cut what you need.

Frameskin is nice enough but very thin and can only do so much. It also costs a fortune to do the bike relative to the 3M tape.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Sent a message to the Invisiframe folks, who responded unlike the frameskin people. No Optic kits there, but we'll see what comes up. Otherwise, that rhino hide link on Ebay is probably as good as it will get.

Thanks for your help folks.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Invisiframe

far superior coverage and quality of kit
Seconded. I have used both invisiframe and frameskin. to be fair, frameskin was the first time i'd ever done it so the stress was higher.. but undoubtedly the invisiframe is a more comprehensive cover, and the pieces are cut just that bit neater which seemed to make it much easier to fit up. Plust, the cost of frame and fork was still cheaper than the frameskin frame only, so a bit of a no brainer.

i've never tried, but I can't see how you would be able to match the quality of either of these products doing it yourself from rolls or blank sheets without a lot of trial end error, and many many hours. It still took me about 3 hrs to do my frame, and I wasn't stuffing around but wanted a good job.