front brake only???

so your saying you can come to a complete stop quickly if something unexpected pops out at you while your doing 40km with just a front brake?

people on fixies often just run a front brake but they have there legs to stop the back wheel aswell.

if you purely ride park and maybe dirt (as in you bike never touchs anything but the park and djs) then it would be alright.
read the whole thread before you open your trap...

i actually went on to say park, street and jumps would be fine.

people manage to ride fine with out any brakes. just because he has a front brake on it doesn't mean he's going to filp over the bars all the time.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so your saying you can come to a complete stop quickly if something unexpected pops out at you while your doing 40km with just a front brake?

people on fixies often just run a front brake but they have there legs to stop the back wheel aswell.

if you purely ride park and maybe dirt (as in you bike never touchs anything but the park and djs) then it would be alright.
read the whole thread before you open your trap...

i actually went on to say park, street and jumps would be fine.

people manage to ride fine with out any brakes. just because he has a front brake on it doesn't mean he's going to filp over the bars all the time.
i have read the whole thread. if you read my whole post...

whats the point of running just a front brake? f+r is fine (and normal) but normaly if you have one brake its your rear you still have. so why not just keep your rear brrake on and have a front brake aswell?

Last edited:

Brodie_78Kt

Likes Dirt
There are so many nubs in this convo who cant ride and really just thinking there amazing because they can say what ever they want to a kid who is an up and coming rider.

Its pretty simple... Run only a front brake and you will die..

Either run brakeless or with a rear only, front brake only is so out of the question...

Pro riders maybe, but from Ns Capital Man's previous posts and from this one, we can make the conclusion he isnt a pro rider and this would be way to hard and technical for him to ride well and confidently.

PLus i dont understand why the V-Brake isnt fine, its not like your racing downhill, you dont need brake'ing power at the park?

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
There are so many nubs in this convo who cant ride and really just thinking there amazing because they can say what ever they want to a kid who is an up and coming rider.

Its pretty simple... Run only a front brake and you will die..

Either run brakeless or with a rear only, front brake only is so out of the question...
wah wah wah ... awesome

Learn how to use the front brake and you won't die ... your rear brake does diddly, yet a lot of you are saying it is safer because then you won't endo if you need to emergency stop ... fark.

to the OP ... run a smaller disc up front (6"or maybe even a 4"), keep your rear Vs until you learn how to brake properly and know when to put your arse back or even sit on your seat to stop the rear lifting. Learn how to modulate your brakes, they aren't just off and on switches.

No need to run stupid long rear cables or gyros and end up sliding the rear or have no brakes at all.

Jervis

Likes Dirt
wah wah wah ... awesome

Learn how to use the front brake and you won't die ... your rear brake does diddly, yet a lot of you are saying it is safer because then you won't endo if you need to emergency stop ... fark.

to the OP ... run a smaller disc up front (6"or maybe even a 4"), keep your rear Vs until you learn how to brake properly and know when to put your arse back or even sit on your seat to stop the rear lifting. Learn how to modulate your brakes, they aren't just off and on switches.

No need to run stupid long rear cables or gyros and end up sliding the rear or have no brakes at all.
WTF! NO! you don't run a front brake on its own, just no.

To all you guys trying to say you can run a front brake only, it's this: yes you can have sex with a goat but any reasonable man would have the common sense not too. Go figure.

WTF! NO! you don't run a front brake on its own, just no.

To all you guys trying to say you can run a front brake only, it's this: yes you can have sex with a goat but any reasonable man would have the common sense not too. Go figure.
Hahaha well put!!!!

Just a question, why did you go for the goat? There are many other aninals to choose from and you went goat?!

CRS01

Likes Dirt
wah wah wah ... awesome

Spot on. if a car pulled out on me at 40+ and i could only use 1 brake it would be the front. At that speed the rear would be worth nothing. Like nerf said.... run both until you feel confident, moving your wieght back and down will counter any arse over bullsh*t. Be sensible and ride way slower when its wet with 1 brake (front or back). oh and whoever said running no brakes is safer than the front....

Last edited:

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spot on. if a car pulled out on me at 40+ and i could only use 1 brake it would be the front. At that speed the rear would be worth nothing. Like nerf said.... run both until you feel confident, moving your wieght back and down will counter any arse over bullsh*t. Be sensible and ride way slower when it wet.
At 40>km slamming on a front brake you would defiantly go otb. The rear brake counters the force of the front to stop you going otb. No matter how well you can balance your weight just using a front brake, at 40+ you wouldn’t be able to stop quickly with just a front brake.
Another thing you can do to slow down if your brakes just aren’t doing it for you, is to whip out a bit. A lot of the brakeless bmx guys do it to scrub off some speed. by combining this and having your weight as far and as low back as you can you may be able to stop doing 40+.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
if you're going over the bars when you use the front brakes, you're doing it wrong.

i reckon i could get away with front brakes only 99% of the time on the road (off road is a different thing for me, but i'm a total wuss so trailing the rear brakes is almost constant :eek: ), i choose not to but thats my thing. if you're just grabbing a fistful of brakes and wondering why you faceplant the ground every time, you need to have a look at your technique. braking is all about applying the appropriate amount of force for the situation and doing it progressively, if you slam on the rear all you get is a useless skid, slam on the front and you'll either wash out or go over. the idea is to NOT slam them on.

i understand trying to dissuade someone from taking brakes off the bike, the more brake you have, the better a chance you have of stopping for something in time. but saying 'no rear brakes = you will die' is just as ridiculous, if not more so, than the original idea.

Attachments

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldent "slam" the front brake.... 4kph or 40.
ok slam isnt exactly what i ment. more, gradually apply more pwoer to it but farily quickly. you could stop with just a front brake going 40+ but your stopping distance would be by far longer than with 2 brakes and probabley would be too long if something unexpected jumped out onto road/trail.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
ok slam isnt exactly what i ment. more, gradually apply more pwoer to it but farily quickly. you could stop with just a front brake going 40+ but your stopping distance would be by far longer than with 2 brakes and probabley would be too long if something unexpected jumped out onto road/trail.
Fun fact: The brakes on cars are adjusted so that 70% of braking is done at the front because all the inertia is on the front wheels.

As for bikes, why do DHers use a larger rotor on the front? To increase the power to stop (and heat dispersion). But as said before, you could go with front disc and rear V

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
noob thread of the year?

Anyway, true, almost all your stopping power is with the front brake BUT if a car pulls out in front of you, and you panic (as you do) what do you automatically do? Grab a handful of brakes and lean back like crazy. With two brakes this will probaly pull you up fast enough, with rear brakes it will wash off a fair bit of speed, with front brakes (unless they are shit) it WILL most likely end in you losing control or goin otb, Wich would be worse then skidding into something.

If you don't believe me go try it

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With front brake only you'd be prone to washing out whilst braking unless you were on clean sealed surface...go ahead put a massive DH front brake only on and do society a favour!

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
This was a great read.

I'm just gonna say what i have to, and try not kick up a shit storm.

But, IF you want to run just a front, GO FOR IT!
I was running a juicy 7 on my DJ bike up the front and nothing on the rear.
It was soo much better for me, WHY? Because i use the front brake more,
On my DH bike i usually have to replace the fronts at a 6:4 ratio Front:rear Because you stop better with the front(IMO)

And for all the Front brake haters out there. There is a universal trick on just about EVERY cycling style called the "bail"

And i mean really, who rides around on a street bike at 40KpH+

So to the Open post, Go for it, Just ride wise.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
my only question is - why WOULDN'T you want to run a rear brake?

why not just leave it on there incase you ever need it?

if you're that dead keen on never using the back brake then just keep your fingers off the lever.

stupid thread.