Frozen vs fresh vegetables and fruit

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Any Veggies are better than no Veggies so for the single time poor bloke I reckon the convenience of frozen is great. Fresh is probably better for you if you've got the time to buy the good stuff as it's much nicer to eat so you will eat more of it and you can get more variety.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've got good discipline, just looking to make it easier than going to the shops every day or having to throw out unused.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When I first graduated I lived on my own (result of too many share house years at uni). I found a little shopping precinct conveniently on my way home. So I would call in after work, decide what I wanted to have for supper and buy the bits and pieces. Had almost no food in the house other than milk. Beeris food too isnt it? Vitamin B?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I would call in after work, decide what I wanted to have for supperand buy the bits and pieces.Had almost no food in thehouse other than milk.
Quote close to how I'm living, though I have cheese and yoghurt as well. But given my proximity to cafes and pubs it's all too easy to just let others do the work. Currently working a bit of arvo/night which doesn't quite work with either approach though.

For tonight I do have some baked turkey meat balls in a fairly rich tomato sauce, all made by me, and a bunch of baby broccoli ready to go...so I shall indeed dine in this evening. I think I'll add some white beans.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I just picked up some eye fillet. Plan is to bbq the eye fillet until it just stops mooing, lay it on a bed of roast sweet potato puree. Surrounded by roast potato, pumpkin, carrots and onion and steamed peas.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I just picked up some eye fillet. Plan is to bbq the eye fillet until it just stops mooing, lay it on a bed of roast sweet potato puree. Surrounded by roast potato, pumpkin, carrots and onion and steamed peas.
That does sound very good. As a butter tragic you know I'd be dabbing on some beurres composés.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Sounds awesome if you drop the fillet.

stirk

Burner
Can't make this kind of salad with frozen vegetables, as dale said find a convienient place to grab a few things every few days.

Veg lasts a while if stored well.

IMG_20180604_185557-1269x811.jpg

Being a single fellow the upkeep of fresh fruit and vegetables at home can be an arduous task at times. I'm hardly home, eat out a lot (usually aiming for balanced meals when I do
Ordering the special fried rice with the sweet n sour pork does not constitute balance.

Ya'll be ebikin it before you know it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Don't I know it! Most eating out is the local pubs rump + salad. The kids working there look at me funny when I order something different!
Too much red meat isn't good for you. Clear connection between excess red meat consumption and reduced life expectancy. And manufactured meats, direct cause of reduced life expectancy, don't touch that shit, your body is a temple.

I say this as a former red meat addict who ate 15-20 serves a week.

White meat, fish, or vegetarian.

safreek

If you go the frozen stuff make sure its Aussie stuff, just remember that new Zealand frozen fruit/veg is most likely Chinese stuff bypassing import laws into Australia, dodgy fucks

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Too much red meat isn't good for you. Clear connection between excess red meat consumption and reduced life expectancy. And manufactured meats, direct cause of reduced life expectancy, don't touch that shit, your body is a temple.

I say this as a former red meat addict who ate 15-20 serves a week.

White meat, fish, or vegetarian.
I know, these are well known facts. But I loves the bacon sooooooooooo much. I'd eat bacon every day if I didn't care for having a less unhealthy life style. It is certainly in my top 5 weaknesses...along with butter, cheese, cream, and coffee. The ordering changes around regularly.

I do wonder though, use your imagination to conjure an image of the kind of man who eats nothing but steak and potatoes or bacon at every turn...certainly the cloche is not of a healthy individual. I wonder if it is possible to undertake research on the matter with a sample that is not filled with this kind of cliche? Even such a question is difficult given our current % of fat + obese people within the population. It is actually harder to find people who aren't. So the world of long term diet and health study must be a mine field!

Masterchef has a lot to answer for, encouraging the use of Peter Rabbit crockery...
Its ok if you put rabbit soup in it...

Sweet. Veggies are not just about the nutrition. The roughage is a huge benefit too.
True. This is something Australians seem to have a phobia of at the moment. Do people not like to shit? Most days for me start with a reasonable serve of seeds and grains, usually 4-5 table spoons and a fist full of sultanas. Not just for the fibre, they tend to have plenty of other goodness in them too and help with filling me up.

Did Australia ditch the 2+5 thing? I don't seem to be having it ramped down my throat each time I attend the super market anymore. How do people even judge that? I was told to think of it as a handful, but my hands are somewhat big and it was a small woman telling me that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you go the frozen stuff make sure its Aussie stuff, just remember that new Zealand frozen fruit/veg is most likely Chinese stuff bypassing import laws into Australia, dodgy fucks
No way? So nanna could still slip her famous shitty berries into your pies and smoothies?