Gamesmanship in sport

'Ross

Eats Squid
Just recently I was watching the tennis, and it appeared Baghdatis was on a real roll and threatening to brake the match open when his oponent Monfils
starts showing signs of a major ankle injury. He calls for the trainer, know action is taken except removal of some tape and then when play resumes he appears to be in perfect condition and goes on to wrap up the match easily. Surely this break in play was a ploy on his behalf to wreck the obvious roll Baghdatis was on.

This type of thing is quite common in tennis, where someone calls for the trainer/fakes an injury to ruin an opponents concentration or put them off. Its not really that bad but it is gamesmanship and I was wondering of any farkiners experiences in gamesmanship? Does it occur it competitive mtb?

One tactic thats common in one day cricket I play is: The amount of overs the team batting first has to face is decided on time not amount of overs, so if the team batting first is going really well the opposition may waste time on purpose so the overs the team has to face will be less, then when they are batting they will in turn face less overs and chase less runs. Can get very annoying with the blatant time wasting that can occur.

So what are your experiences with gamesmanship?

The Paperboy

Likes Dirt
Did you just listen to the interview afterwards?? He said it was cutting into his ankle. He is a clay court player and is used to sliding around obviously this was affecting his movement of his ankle.

This post sounds harsh and is not intended in that matter sorry.

I really haven't had many bad game experiences. Mainly just slagging at cricket. Tennis their isn't much that affects my game if someone stops to cry i use it as a good breather, because I most probably need it.
Yeah overall bad sportmanship I haven't really dealt with other than Dhers slagging off when going slow down a trail from a sideline on race day, but that I can live with.

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Yer don't want to bag Monfils too much he is a great player, but just look at what a break did to the momentum of Baghdatis, he practically died after that. And you have to admit it is quite common in tennis for someone to call for the trainer just to distract the opponent.

The Paperboy

Likes Dirt
Yer don't want to bag Monfils too much he is a great player, but just look at what a break did to the momentum of Baghdatis, he practically died after that. And you have to admit it is quite common in tennis for someone to call for the trainer just to distract the opponent.
Yeah fair call. I do believe the trainer does seem to get called at all the defining moments of the game. If you can do it, do it. It seems to be working for them. What else can you do?? The only semi logical well maybe not so logical thing to do would be make it up to the umpires descretion? Then imagine the dog fights after matches so I think it is just something they all have to deal with and get over.

Maybe they could only make the trainer be able to come out at the change of ends then make the decision up to him whether to call for time. You would have to make the trainer a neutral. Just something professional sportspeople should be abe to deal with I suppose.

mmm..beer

Likes Bikes
Since when is a one day cricket innings decided by time? Its 50 overs isn't it? A lot of bowlers in one day games are used because they get through overs quickly.:confused:

scblack

Leucocholic
The other player can do exactly the same too. Works for both.

You have to win on the court. A distraction should not defeat a better player.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Since when is a one day cricket innings decided by time? Its 50 overs isn't it? A lot of bowlers in one day games are used because they get through overs quickly.:confused:
I was talking about my personal experiences, I don't play International cricket at this stage lol:eek: Anyone else had some personal experiences with gamesmanship or even slight cheating? Can it occur in mtb? I don't race but maybe someone could try to wreck a rock garden a bit so everyone else struggles or something like that?

Mr Peabody

Likes Dirt
i must agree it did break his momentum and same happened in the first round womens match, you know that hottie player (cant remember her name) as she was on the ropes and threw herself on the ground and carried on and had a rest and then came back to win it.

Hopper

Likes Dirt
Anyone else had some personal experiences with gamesmanship or even slight cheating?
YES!!! In the 2006 Badminton Intercol (These two schools have over 130 years of sporting rivalry, the intercols are big grudge matches with trophies and presentations and spectated by between 500-9000 people depending on the sport so they are big events) I was on a role about to win the first set when. I got 9 points in a row and only needed 3 more to win (I made a come back from 3-12). He stopped play 1 in the middle of my come back and then stopped play when I was up 12-11. Then I lost the set, a similar thing occured in the second set and I ended up losing. I wont the third set and then lost the fourth set after he stopped play the three times I gained serve.

What is really annoying is when you are the last match still going, final set when the opposition school is 2m away from the court and around 400 of them are booing you while your opposition is stopping play continually.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
The other player can do exactly the same too. Works for both.

You have to win on the court. A distraction should not defeat a better player.

I have to agree with that. My girlfriend plays State League Netball, and similar things occur... People call time for injuries that require minimal treatment. They only last for a maximum of 90 seconds though, and are at the umpire's discretion.

They generally get used so a team can waste time (if they are ahead) or so they can position themselves better. Same goes for penalties. A good team can counter it though.

If it's in the rule book, it's not cheating.

gr33ky

Likes Dirt
They generally get used so a team can waste time (if they are ahead) or so they can position themselves better. Same goes for penalties. A good team can counter it though..
yeah when i used to play soccer
in the finals the opposition were 1 point ahead (2-3) and there was about 10 minutes to go
whenever they had the ball they would just kick it out or just pass it to eachother back and forth
if they ever got a corner or free kick and throw in... they would take atleast 2 minutes to take... on a corner they would go for the kick then stop and move the ball into a different place...
was really annoying since we had been undefeated until that one match where they "cheated"

The Paperboy

Likes Dirt
in the finals the opposition were 1 point ahead (2-3) and there was about 10 minutes to go
whenever they had the ball they would just kick it out or just pass it to eachother back and forth
if they ever got a corner or free kick and throw in... they would take atleast 2 minutes to take... on a corner they would go for the kick then stop and move the ball into a different place...
was really annoying since we had been undefeated until that one match where they "cheated"
That is not cheating it is time wasting and is a great strategy if you don't think you can stop a team that is on a run or has more skills than the other. Ask yourself this if you were on the other team would have you complained after winning that night.....no i doubt it. Every team does it now days it is just a part of sport i suppose what else can you do complain to the umpire??? They are bringing rules into AFL, some of which are already in force at pre-season matches that if the ball goes backwards and the player on the same team marks it, it is play on. This wouldn't be a rule you could enforce in soccer but maybe get a pertition or something to identify the problem and try and go forth on the issue. I have no suggestions for this in soccer. As I have had to put up with it myself playing soccer over the years.

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt
I try not to play compeditive sport because of the cheating and crap like this that goes on.
I agree , the win at all costs mentality has ruined most sports.
I think it was the '04 Olympics, Womens Tae Kwon Do, the aussie (sorry cant remember her name) ran away from her opponent for the last 20 odd seconds so her opponent couldn't score on her! I dont understand how you can feel good about winning that way.
Like team orders in Motorsport,or a certain ferrari driver using his car to hold up other competitors or "accidently" having an off near the end of qualifying to stop someone bettering his time.

mmm..beer

Likes Bikes
I was talking about my personal experiences, I don't play International cricket at this stage lol:eek: Anyone else had some personal experiences with gamesmanship or even slight cheating? Can it occur in mtb? I don't race but maybe someone could try to wreck a rock garden a bit so everyone else struggles or something like that?
ahh fair enough, sorry bout that. back on topic, did anyone else think the last round of the V8 supercars was bullshit. Im a holden fan but it was fairly piss poor. I dont think its a full on conspiracy as some do but in my opinion very unsportsman-like.

In my own experience, as long as i'm having fun i really don't care what the other team is doing. I find as long as i play hard and fair, i get the same treatment... most of the time anyway.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My team lost our grand final because of time wasters. bloody bastards

DeanoG

Likes Bikes
Its sports, and I guess any little advantage is exploited, hoever boderline it may be.

On a different note, when Im hacking round the local golf course and were playing for beers, I usually throw out the 'So do you breath in our out on your backswing?' to my mate who is just settling in on the tee. Throws em off every time, as they start thing about it!

Bad Sportsmanship? Yep, but there's VB at stake. :D

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
when i'm playing pool with my mates, if i'm on the 8-ball(or significantly ahead of them), and they've got a few balls left on the table, they'll try to snooker me rather than sink their balls. they say its good strategy, i think its pretty lame...