Garmin 24 2011,redesdale,vico,hi noon

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Great ride Jason. I was supporting Shane and watched you pull away minute by minute, lap by lap after about 6 am. All the solos who stuck it out through the night are tougher than Chuck Norris.

I saw your team bagging the shit out if you at around 11:00 am which seemed to work well to get you back out on track. Quite funny.

akashra

Eats Squid
Just FYI, anyone who's contacted me with queries I've just looked at and corrected the data - pretty much all of them were a case of the transponder being assigned to someone else, or their second transponder (for solos) not having been added.

Keep letting me know if you find any issues.

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes
I saw your team bagging the shit out if you at around 11:00 am which seemed to work well to get you back out on track. Quite funny.
That was me. I've found having a laugh and joke makes the last few hours and having to tell Jas how many more laps to go a bit easier on him. Keeping his spirits up is easier than trying to pull him out of a hole

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tv

that was the SBS crew at event wasn't it? Cycling Central? Anyone know when it might be televised?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Great ride Jason. I was supporting Shane and watched you pull away minute by minute, lap by lap after about 6 am. All the solos who stuck it out through the night are tougher than Chuck Norris.

In their own twisted way they think its funny to try and get someone who's in a whole world of hurt angry, in the hope l will go faster??

Thanks for dropping by to let us know that Shane wasn't going to head out on another lap. It was funny as I caught Shane around 6am and as many solos do you have a chat, encourage and generally look for some distraction from the pain and what needs to be done. I asked Shane how he was travelling etc and he said he was in 2nd place, which was where I thought I was and when I got back to transition started the inquisition towards my support about my position and Shane's reference to him sitting in 2nd position, that probably got me going more that my smart talking support crew!

quiggs

Larabeemax

Likes Bikes
Great job

In their own twisted way they think its funny to try and get someone who's in a whole world of hurt angry, in the hope l will go faster??

Thanks for dropping by to let us know that Shane wasn't going to head out on another lap. It was funny as I caught Shane around 6am and as many solos do you have a chat, encourage and generally look for some distraction from the pain and what needs to be done. I asked Shane how he was travelling etc and he said he was in 2nd place, which was where I thought I was and when I got back to transition started the inquisition towards my support about my position and Shane's reference to him sitting in 2nd position, that probably got me going more that my smart talking support crew!

quiggs
Sensational ride mate - that was definitely toughest solo track I'd seen and great to see you still throwing down good laps til the end. Also looking forward to your report being posted quickly...

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone who rode through the night there deserves full respect, tough course mentally as much as physically.

And yes it was cycling central...

Trailmix-Ham

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for rectifying the timing error.

Just FYI, anyone who's contacted me with queries I've just looked at and corrected the data - pretty much all of them were a case of the transponder being assigned to someone else, or their second transponder (for solos) not having been added.

Team RMV (Red Mist Velo) is now the winner of the male pairs with 18 laps in 23:41:40.

Thanks Tim, FGP crew, marshals, and Trailmix crew.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Were bonus laps awarded for team laps? It only seems to count actual laps ridden ?

fergo

Likes Dirt
Non official event photos

A friend of mine takes photos as a hobby so I invited him to come and take some of me and my mates riding and hanging out. We only saw him at the tents for a few minutes on both days - he got hooked and spent most of his time out on the track. He actually walked the entire track Sun morning taking photos along the way so its not your "same location, different rider" ones you normally see.

I have to say up front, he's not the official (if there was one) photographer. I saw numerous guys out there. The details below are for my mate. If you like, buy and encourage him. :clap2::clap2:

The link for the photos is http://goo.gl/MU0IN and if you like it, email garminmountainbike@gmail.com and he will send them the details.

If you buy in bulk, I will give discounts, but for now the pricing is pretty simple:

Option 1: Original JPEG photo only (15.1 megapixel) - $5.00
Option 2: JPEG photo with post processing [Photoshop] (I will allow them to view the photo first before any commitment) - $10.00
Option 3: Original JPEG photo & Original RAW image (RAW image allows for maximum post processing flexibility [photoshopping]) - $15.00

Obviously I am flexible here, I am not in it for the money, but just trying to cover costs, so if for example a school team wants photos, I will knock the prices down, and the more photos they buy, the more discount.

How it works, you see the photos you like, take a note of the photos titles, and email garminmountainbike@gmail.com, then I will send them the above details including the bank details for direct deposit, using their email address as a reference in the deposit.

If you select Option 2, I will do the post processing, and put the files on the web for you to look at first before you make any commitments.

Cheers,
Ferg

fergo

Likes Dirt
Were bonus laps awarded for team laps? It only seems to count actual laps ridden ?
If all 6 in supersixes rode the lap, 6 laps were awarded (1 + 5 bonus). If all 3 in triples rode, 3 were awarded (1 + 2 bonus) etc, etc, etc. The bonus was every riders lap counted.

Baby Animal

Likes Bikes
Hey Guys/Girls again, well done to full gas for there efforts on the weekend At the 24. Don't think it mattered where you were in Victoria you would have been very wet and muddy!!! The track surPrised me as I thought that it would have sucked hard... My brothers team who are all new to the sport loved it as much as it hurt them with hardly any fitness..... HeaPs of room to camp and spread out... Technical fast climbs downhills (which were sweet at 54kmph on the 29er) Mud and dried out to be perfect..... Thanks again fOr another great event......

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
WOW! what a weekend.

A big shout out to the Solo Ladies - that was some pretty tough conditions on long laps.

Congrats to all the solos that stuck out the night a witnessed the coming of a new dry day.
Big effort to Chris who managed to stay consistent throughout the night to crank out a great win overall in the Solos. The clag/glue when the track started to dry out was evil on the SS - but hey that's what happens when you choose to ride that way.

Well done to Quiggs and Shane for their battle. I camped next to Shane last year and he's come along way in 12 months, I look forward to seeing how the next 12 months go.

I know there was a lot of chatter on here about the TTT laps before the race - but from where I was sitting every team seemed to be having fun out on their lap. I had two TTT highlights. The first was a punter team just hanging out at a difficult section and heckling/encouraging riders to have a go - great atmosphere. The second was the winning team with the Jo (Torq) in it - they came past on a rocky downhill section whooping and hollering and having a great time - great atmosphere again.

The course is great and I'm kind of keen to try it out full noise in the dry - maybe next year :)

To everyone that yelled encouragement to me and others during the race - thank you - each yell was worth another 5 mins of grinning.

Brett.

Stew41

Likes Bikes
Wouldn't say I was smashing laps it was more about riding within myself being patient with the ever changing track conditions, knowing it was the same for everyone. The best thing I did was completely change kit at 10.30 on Saturday night once I got word the weather had looked like it had passed, it was like starting all over again just 10hrs into the race.

Mechanicals, no big issues bike swap every lap during up until around 8pm, the boys (Nathan, Luke & Xavier) gave them a quick clean and checked brake pads, lubed chain etc. Only issue wass an ill matching new chain with an old rear cassette, thanks to sponsor iRide Bikes being their in full presence to track down a cassette and all was good after that.

As everyone would attest to, the best conditions were around 4.30am until 8am when the track was like riding on bluetack and super sticky. Thankfully I've done a few 24hrs at Stromlo and that place becomes a rocky minefield, around 18hrs into a race, similar to the track towards the end over the weekend.

thanks for the acknowledgment

Quiggs
Jason,

Noting your comment re being patient and controlling your pace do you take much notice of staying withing HR zones or targetting an average HR through a lap or given period of time? Obviously you need to keep an eye on race conditions, competitors etc but would be keen to know what methods you might employ.

cheers

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Jason,

Noting your comment re being patient and controlling your pace do you take much notice of staying withing HR zones or targetting an average HR through a lap or given period of time? Obviously you need to keep an eye on race conditions, competitors etc but would be keen to know what methods you might employ.

cheers
Sorry to jump in and answer your question to Jase.

I would have used a Garmin Edge 500 with an HR monitor but more to check how I'm going rather than to provide targets. I like the HR graph so I can easily see when I'm slacking off and should put in a bit more effort. I also have the current lap time displayed so I can check at a few checkpoints out on course to see how much slower I'm getting through the race. Also the time of day so I know how much longer still to go.

But as far as pacing myself all of this means nothing compared to just listening to my body. It's about learning what pace you can sustain and hoping your pit crew can keep the food/fluid intake consistent.

That and getting splits to the other riders in front and/or behind me from my pit crew.

And while I'm here, massive congrats to all the riders that pushed on through the night. I'll admit at that point I was happy to have an excuse not to ride.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The conditions were perfect for a rigid Ti SS! Loved the track and the atmosphere never dropped to the level of the trail conditions.

34-19 was just a tad too much for that damned first corner on rocky horror

Was well worth the trip from Adelaide, we just need interstaters to return the favour at our 24hr event

Last edited: