Gear ratio for 24"

kaotickelly

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I'm building up my old DMR sidekick as a single speed street bike.

My current gearing of 38:17 (2.23) feels too high, and thinking of going down to a 32/15 (2.13)

Any thoughts? What do people normally use for street and dirt?

rone

Eats Squid
for 24" wheels 2.3:1 is a good starting point for all-rounder duties.

I used to run a 23:10 on my DMR Rhythm and it was spot on.

i'd probably go even lower than 32/15 if i was you, but its different for every rider just find what suits you best.

reppin'

Likes Dirt
25/9, nah it depends on your preference, i personally like to pedal heaps so used to run 25/9

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
i run 24 10

25, too high 23 too low. 24 just right.

took a while to find one but its worth it.

speed does top out on the flat but hey that happens, climbs hills quite well and ive had no problems riding street park and dirt.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
I currently run 25:9 on my Dobermann, it's a little harder to get started but has good top end speed without topping out which I find great for DJ applications and commuting to the jumps

I've had like 10 different 24" rigs all with varying drivetrain ratio's

28:11
28:12
33:14
25:12
29:13
23:9

They all have their disadvantages/advantages, it's a matter of finding the right ratio for the discipline you ride by trialing different sprocket combo's

kaotickelly

Likes Dirt
Wow, thanks for the inputs!

Funny that you are all running 2.3 and above, which is harder to pedal than my 2.23, and I'm complaining!

I haven't find that tops out on flat yet, which is why I was thinking of going down on the ratio. Will try it out on the slopes and see if it's any good.

Thanks again!

ogjon

Likes Dirt
I currently run 25:9 on my Dobermann, it's a little harder to get started but has good top end speed without topping out which I find great for DJ applications and commuting to the jumps

I've had like 10 different 24" rigs all with varying drivetrain ratio's

28:11
28:12
33:14
25:12
29:13
23:9

They all have their disadvantages/advantages, it's a matter of finding the right ratio for the discipline you ride by trialing different sprocket combo's
what were the
28:11 & 28:12 like?

I got 28 up front but can't decide on the rear one yet

kaotickelly

Likes Dirt
I've now got a 32T on order, and found a 20T lying around at home, might give 38:20 a try and then 32:15/16/17/20 to find the exact one.

I've got a vertical dropout, so can't change the chainstay length, but am using a half link chain, hopefully the slack isn't too bad...