Getting Back Into Riding After A Decade Q&A Thread

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just make sure whatever you buy is at least 6k. If you're going to have a mid bike crisis then cost is everything. But still upgrade it..

T-Rex

Template denier
Hey Farkers,

So I've decided to get back into riding, it's been over a decade since I swung my leg over a bike and I have forgotten a lot of what I used to know....

And now the MTB landscape has changed so much and I am completely bamboozled by all the new standards... tapered this and boost that, 27.5, 650b, 12 x 142 axles, press fit bb's GP30, narrow wide chainrings, spiderless cranks, carbon everything etc etc...

I want to stick what I know... 26" Wheels, 1 1/8" Headtubes, High rise bars, and 68mm BB's but these things seem to have become extinct and are now impossible to source...

I have a few parts lying around so I want to build up a bike but will need some direction when making purchases.

All constructive help will be appreciated...
I just stumbled across some 26" rims under the house, and have plenty of spokes. LMK if you want to build up some wheels. Probably have some 26" tyres left, and definately have a set of mud spikes.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Fair enough....

So I bought the Yeti DJ :D

It is a little cramped but it should be ok while I have my training wheels on (just getting a feel for riding again)..

Later on if I want to jump or ride extreme again I'll look at a dedicated rig but for now I'll just use the Yeti for commuting and getting out of the house

Here She Is:

Will it last longer than 3 months before you try something else? Or are we gonna see a long term job here! And do you remember how to use gears? :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How did I miss this thread?

Congratulations on your new bike and return to rolling @FoxRidersCo! That yeti looks nice. As a few others have pointed out there is still some 26 inch options around and most of it is dirt jump oriented. It is still possible to buy new 26 inch specific hard tail and dual suspension set ups for dirt jumps and slope style. The catch is it is often a costly venture...

I just stumbled across some 26" rims under the house, and have plenty of spokes. LMK if you want to build up some wheels. Probably have some 26" tyres left, and definately have a set of mud spikes.
Is this an open offer there @T-Rex? Because I am interested.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are you still looking for tyres? If you're only on sealed surface, I rate the schwalbe crazy bob. They are heavy but heaps of fun. However for mixed surface use I currently run the schwalbe table top. Rolls plenty fast on sealed surface and hooks up enough on dirt. I also love the dmr super moto (if you can find it) but they are a bit slower on sealed surface than the table top which is compensated by much better hook up on dirt.