Giant Anthem or trance?

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It sounds like the Trance is really the middle ground you are after. The Anthem is more cross-country oriented (think wearing Lycra and going fast uphill for fun), and the Reign is the “Enduro/Gravity/Downhill” (think baggy shorts, grinding to the top of hell’s with the fun starting with the descent) oriented bike in the range. The trance falls between the two, what Giant calls a “trail bike”. Basically a do-it-all Swiss Army knife bike.

Also, don’t confine yourself to Giant. It used to be the case that they were much better value than other brands, but not so much any more. There’s more brands like YT, Commencal, Intense etc which are selling direct to consumer in Australia and as a consequence represent pretty good value. Check out the Commencal Meta Trail in particular, they have some 2018 and 2019 models in your price range.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't recommend a 29er for a short guy.
I really don’t agree with this mate. I’m 5’6” nudging 5’7” and ride 2 29ers, a short travel trail and a long travel monster truck. Love em both. My ex girlfriend is 5’2” and races on a 29er. Before the industry go geometry sorted I would’ve agreed but now anyone can ride 29ers.

I'd suggest the Trance as it does 90% of what an Anthem does well, but give more room for personal progression as your rough and tumble skills progress.
Totally agree with this though. I’ve seen too many people buy a first bike that is way to XC only to find that they outgrow it very quickly and want something a little burlier. The op did indicate that there was a desire to do some of that sort of riding in the future. So I’m still with the Trance. I’m leaning towards the 29er version if you’ve got the choice but the 27.5 will still be a great ride.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Also, don’t confine yourself to Giant. It used to be the case that they were much better value than other brands, but not so much any more.
Agree. Canyon would be my first thought.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

I'd probably suggest the Spectral over that. But also bear in mind that Canyon is full retail only. End of season Giant's tend to be heavily discounted and are cracking value if you can get one.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hi

So I am ready to go to my local shop o the weekend a pick u a new bike. after all the research I have decided on going with a Giant bike and I am stuck deciding between the Trance and Anthem. I know that the anthem caterers a bit more for racing and the trance more towards downhill. The reason I am torn is that I will be using the bike for things between both worlds.

I like riding with my partner but she is mainly into more flat gravel tracks like 35km --> one-way track from town to town. where an anthem 29er would be nice

But we also have a lot of really good downhill and trail tracks that I want to ride on and not miss out on. Not much in black but lots of blue and green tracks (easy-intermediate). where the trance would be better.
so which would you recommend in my situation?

And obviously, there is also the bit of 27.5 or 29er. If it was only for downhill I would go for 27.5 but for cross country 29er so I think. My local shop has all of them in stock but wasn't much of a help in helping on choosing a bike so I am hoping to get some assistance here. I do like to ride hard every so often but I am not into racing events as of yet but never no that might change after getting my first decent bike. (used to ride on cheaper bikes but keep breaking them to quickly)

Oh and the most expensive I probably go is the Trance 2, anthem 29er 2 (3800 AUD) but might even consider the 3 for (2999 AUD)

Thank you
Buy the bike that suits 90% of your riding and skills.

Warp

Likes Dirt

The Neuron is hot.

I think that as long as you don't have huck to flat gnar jumps the Trance 29 is quite a weapon. On the few rides I have with it and considering the same shitty physical condition bracket I am at now, the Trance has been faster than the Scout it replaced. Mine you can say it's heavily upgraded with carbon wheels compared to stock but it is already faster and lighter than the Scout (the Scout had just as light wheels).

The only situations where the Scout tops it is "tosseability" and tight switchbacks. The Trance has bigger wheels and it's only there that it becomes evident. Probably the Scout is built to last longer... but that makes it also heavy. The Trance frame in alloy may be like 3kg-3.2kg with shock, while my Scout was a solid 3.6kg. I'm not calling the Trance fragile. I'm calling the Scout stronger.

Ee
No they aren't...they are mostly going to say get a different brand!

@shaddowflyer You're friends are mostly correct, you'll get great value for money on a giant. If the value for money is your primary concern, have a look at polygon as well. Also those prices...seem suspiciously lime full retail. Where are you located? I'd hate to hear of a biker dude getting a shit deal. I was recently in Kuringai Cycles (Hornsby) and they had reasonable discounts on the bikes I was perving on. You could some of their top-shelf bikes reduced to around $3800 rather than the anthem...if you aren't I nthe area, lean on your shop, get on bike exchange and look what giants are going for, haggle, haggle, haggle! And get yourself a bargain! But most importantly: don't buy a giant. Otherwise do and have a rad time anyway!
Thanx, I will have a look. I am located near Cairns on the tableland. the main bike retailer is a giant retailer up here but i will have a look online at the polygon bikes.

+1

You can't increase travel but you can lock it out.

Had a 2015 Trance (27.5) and it was a good bike - never felt like it was overkill on XC/trail rides. If you want a fast efficient bike for smoother stuff, get a hardtail. The new Trance 29 looks smart as well, although I'd only suggest it if OP is a taller rider.

Giant has a lifetime warranty on frames too, so that's peace of mind with the brand. Just don't get a carbon Anthem...

Pays to shop around too - you can get a Trance 1 (medium, Sydney) for the same price you're looking at for the Trance 2.

Surprised nobody's recommended a Spitfire yet...
yea I am definitely looking aroun on facebook, gumtree and other places. there are second-hand bikes available here just no allot so its a bit of a hit n miss.

I guess I will have to sit on the 29er and 27.5 and see if it feels too big. I tend to look at my self as a medium size person.

Going over the bars was why I stopped riding 100mm steep head angle bikes. Stuff that, I'm too old for OTB.

Get the 27.5 Trance. Make it tubeless, and pump the tyres when you're gravel grinding with your wife and let some air out of them when you want to have fun.
Yes, that sounds like a good plan. I will still try to have sit on the 29er as well to see how the size difference feels but the good thing is they both come tubeless already:)

It sounds like the Trance is really the middle ground you are after. The Anthem is more cross-country oriented (think wearing Lycra and going fast uphill for fun), and the Reign is the “Enduro/Gravity/Downhill” (think baggy shorts, grinding to the top of hell’s with the fun starting with the descent) oriented bike in the range. The trance falls between the two, what Giant calls a “trail bike”. Basically a do-it-all Swiss Army knife bike.

Also, don’t confine yourself to Giant. It used to be the case that they were much better value than other brands, but not so much any more. There’s more brands like YT, Commencal, Intense etc which are selling direct to consumer in Australia and as a consequence represent pretty good value. Check out the Commencal Meta Trail in particular, they have some 2018 and 2019 models in your price range.
Thanx, I will have a look. checking them out right now. Looks like I might have to spend a little more with them to get a mid or higher end tier bike. or that's what it looks like

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I ride a 120/100mm travel bike all the time. It is one of my gnarliest bikes and shreds stuff most of you kids would sell your mother to be able to do...well I did, until it was stolen. Now I just live on sour grapes and tears.
And Boss coffee at present you lucky bastard....

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Thanx, I will have a look. I am located near Cairns on the tableland.
I haven’t ridden the new Trance 29”, but I reckon it’d be great at Atherton. But a mate has just sold his 3yo Anthem and bought one after demoing a Trance, a Norco Sight(?) and a Trek Fuel EX (which I’ve got).

A short travel, not overly steep 29er sounds like the perfect bike for you. Every bit as fine as an XC race bike if you just stick to bike paths and green trails, but much more fun and forgiving if you get into the steeper stuff.