Giant Anthem or trance?

I haven’t ridden the new Trance 29”, but I reckon it’d be great at Atherton. But a mate has just sold his 3yo Anthem and bought one after demoing a Trance, a Norco Sight(?) and a Trek Fuel EX (which I’ve got).

A short travel, not overly steep 29er sounds like the perfect bike for you. Every bit as fine as an XC race bike if you just stick to bike paths and green trails, but much more fun and forgiving if you get into the steeper stuff.
Thanx for the reply. Yea thats sums up about what i was thinking. Go the trance to have to downhill capabilities but with a 29er for good xc performance. Yes we are pretty lucky to have these tracks uphere so i want to finnaly Take advantage of them.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Going on the OP's intended riding, the Anthem is more than capable. Maybe the Trance 29er if a tad more descending stability is desired, which then leads to the pretty logical suggestion of looking second hand (or the slight possibility of someone having some left over 2018 stock) for an Anthem 27'5, which fills the same slot with slightly less cumbersome wheels..... The Trance 27.5 is overkill for the intended purpose.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Overkill is good.
Not necessarily.Somewhere along the way - at a point thast will vary for diferent riers - there comes a stage where the bike has more in reserve than the rider needs, and it becomes cumbersome and somewhat dead in its handling. And going by the OP's parameters, the Trance 27.5 (or other similar moels) will be in its properly useful and lively zone for about 2% of the time. So it makes more sense to get something suitable for the 95+% of the riding that's being done, and hang on with clenched arse cheeks for the other few%.

Not necessarily.Somewhere along the way - at a point thast will vary for diferent riers - there comes a stage where the bike has more in reserve than the rider needs, and it becomes cumbersome and somewhat dead in its handling. And going by the OP's parameters, the Trance 27.5 (or other similar moels) will be in its properly useful and lively zone for about 2% of the time. So it makes more sense to get something suitable for the 95+% of the riding that's being done, and hang on with clenched arse cheeks for the other few%.
I will be taking the 27.5 and 29er for a ride tomorow on the local trails and see how they are going. I do like the idea of a trance 29er from what the local stires has told me but with what i am getting from here i will have to test them both. The 29er for its nore snoother ride going ober rocks and xc capabilities and the 27.5 for technical trails if i think i need the extra controll. But i think the 29er will be nore up my soup for longer rides.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
The local bike mechanic had the 27.5 trance & said it was a bit of a dog to climb
Got two mates with 27.5 Trances, and they climb okee dokee. But they are 20 years younger than me, so maybe they’d appear to be awesome, regardless.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
And assuming the OP is going to keep said bike a while, there’s a fair chance it’ll end on a car or in a bike bag, to ride trails that are way more rad to the power of max, than localsville.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
In some ways, I think my Trance (2018 Advanced 1) climbs better than my old Anthem (2015 Advanced SX)... More active rear suspension and burlier tyre hooks up better when crawling up over rocks...

Either way - it climbs well. I'm inclined to say choose between the 29 and 27.5 version based on preferences for handling and general ride characteristics. Id say one is not better than the other, they're just different.

Flow-Rider

Burner
In some ways, I think my Trance (2018 Advanced 1) climbs better than my old Anthem (2015 Advanced SX)... More active rear suspension and burlier tyre hooks up better when crawling up over rocks...
Pretty much all bikes are like that if the shock is too stiff when you climb but overall you pay for it with energy loss on longer climbs. An Anthem will be way more nimble on the climbs than Trance.

Haakon

Pretty much all bikes are like that if the shock is too stiff when you climb but overall you pay for it with energy loss on longer climbs. An Anthem will be way more nimble on the climbs than Trance.
That's why I said "in some ways" ;) There is not much in it though - coming from a decent amount of seat time on both on the same trails. Trance is much much better on the rough stuff though, and not as fast on smooth flowing single track.

All in all I prefer the Trance and don't regret the change - its better over more terrain. Not convinced I'd pony up the extra for the carbon again though - I'm still not convinced the alloy version i test rode didn't sit better on the trail at speed...

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's why I said "in some ways" ;) There is not much in it though - coming from a decent amount of seat time on both on the same trails. Trance is much much better on the rough stuff though, and not as fast on smooth flowing single track.
Yeah true that, some bikes work better for some trails or rider styles than others.

All in all I prefer the Trance and don't regret the change - its better over more terrain. Not convinced I'd pony up the extra for the carbon again though - I'm still not convinced the alloy version i test rode didn't sit better on the trail at speed...
I'm seeing a lot of people going back to alloy frames on the trails but how well carbon works depends on how the frame manufacturer has utilised the use of the carbon fibre in the design. If you're racing, it might give you the leading edge of a few seconds but as a general trail rider the few seconds may not matter.

Last edited:

Warp

Likes Dirt
I'm seeing a lot of people going back to alloy frames on the trails but how well carbon works depends on how the frame manufacturer has utilised the use of the carbon fibre in the design. If you're racing, it might give you the leading edge of a few seconds but as a general trail rider the few second may not matter.
That... the perception that carbon is not so impact resistant as alloy and the expense to buy a bike that will be "obsolete" or replaced for something "better" in 2-3yrs

It all adds up.

Who knows, it may eventually lead to companies bringing the cost of carbon down to make them more of an easy sell.

Haakon

I had no real need for carbon, it was just bling really and I could afford it so figured why not... I'm certainly not a fit or good enough rider to make use of any real benefits. The alloy had a less eye watering paint job too...

Anyway, point being I agree that alloy these days is damn good and the in most cases not noticeably heavier or poorer performing for us mere mortals!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Who knows, it may eventually lead to companies bringing the cost of carbon down to make them more of an easy sell.
Nah they will just invent another standard.

I rekon a my main rig would be cactus already if it was carbon. It's got 2 dings that would have definitely cracked a carbon frame.

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
I was in this same boat in 2017 and bought a Trance 27.5. Yes it's more bike than what I do with it but I like the geo better than the Anthem. As a big fella I'd rather some overkill than something that's gonna snap underneath me. It's not a great climber, sure, but that's why I have a hardtail as well lol.

However if I was buying a bike today, I reckon that 29er Trance would be a perfect fit.

I was in this same boat in 2017 and bought a Trance 27.5. Yes it's more bike than what I do with it but I like the geo better than the Anthem. As a big fella I'd rather some overkill than something that's gonna snap underneath me. It's not a great climber, sure, but that's why I have a hardtail as well lol.

However if I was buying a bike today, I reckon that 29er Trance would be a perfect fit.
Yes it. I know the trance is going to be overkill but there are opportunities around me to make god use of it and i only can afford one good bike. As you mention about the 27.5 not being the best climber that is why i am considering to compromise and go for a trance 29er to get the best of both worlds but i will see once i take them for a ride. i was going to take some demo bikes out on the weekend but because of the weather our tracks where closed so hopefully in a few days i can take them for a spin.

I mean for our railway bike tracks the anthem would be perfect but i feel like i have to go the trance way if i plan to take on a few more "rougher" tracks.

And assuming the OP is going to keep said bike a while, there’s a fair chance it’ll end on a car or in a bike bag, to ride trails that are way more rad to the power of max, than localsville.
Yes i am looking at a good mounting option for my Ute (style side type tray) because yes i will take the bike around to other locations. But i have seen at the local shops there are some good mounts i can get, i will just have to work out which is the most practical and cost effective.

I will also ride with and without
other people so when I am by my self i will still have to be able to ride up the hill and don't have the luxury do get dropped off.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The back end of the Trance 27.5 climbs pretty damn well for a 140mm travel bike. It's the front end that hurts the climbing, and that's not specific to the Trance, but spread across the whole modern design theme of shoving the front of the bike as far away from the rider as possible..... Coupled with a slckish head angle it makes the front very light, floaty and vague, with a generally disconnected feel from the rider trying to get it to go somewhere.