Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
XL size are OK. All others recalled.

It's a problem with the top tube/seat tube join.
Back to the drawing board I presume ...

I thought they brought it to market pretty quick.
Crazy, its not like the frame just appeared on the market, it was obviously raced and photographed a fair bit on the US race circuit. I guess i should be thankful im XL sized. Still though, bit of a worry :confused:

tegski

Likes Dirt
Recalled here too…phoned by the shop and I thought he was pulling my leg! He was quite serious unfortunately. Giant is doing the right thing…they are offering a replacement bike for the period that the bike is away. Hopefully going to swap the Anthem 29er for a 26er. At least I will still have a nice new bike :)
Nice to see a company stand behind their products - Very happy with the service.
Little bit sad about handing over the new baby though - really liked the 29er rolling over the ruts for the limited time I have ridden so far.:(

preemo

Likes Dirt
Mine was recalled too. I can't speak highly enough of the customer service and the way Giant is working through what must be a very difficult situation. If anything this has just made me a bigger fan of the brand/

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm

How about a bike for the period for those people that were supposed to have their bikes in Week 34, not Week 46. What I can't understand is that right up until the end of last week, mine was ordered (and due) Week 34 (via the Giant Portal), and suddenly it blows out 12 weeks, without the LBS even being told.

Yep - good on them for fixing the frames (although they shouldn't have gone to market in the first place with such a simple issue) - but once again (and this happens every bloody year) earnest customers, very very willing to part with their hard-earned, have to sit on their thumbs and wait. Just because.

Not particularly happy that I now am riding a 100km and a 24 hour on a hardtail. Super looking forward to that.

copenbas

Likes Bikes
My LBS has hooked me up with a brand new Anthem X1 while I have to wait! how good is that?? Sad to hear about the recall(mine has been on order since june0, but stoked by my LBS handling of the situation!

tegski

Likes Dirt
From my understanding, Giant is supplying replacement bikes to the shops - I was offered a range of bikes From XTC 29er to Trance. Chose an Anthem and was told that I too would have an X1 as replacement. Very impressed with Giant as a company standing behind it's dealers and customers. Feel sorry for the LBS owners having to call up their customers…apparently not the best response from some customers. Giant has been fantastic and I cannot think what more they could do.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
From my understanding, Giant is supplying replacement bikes to the shops - I was offered a range of bikes From XTC 29er to Trance. Chose an Anthem and was told that I too would have an X1 as replacement. Very impressed with Giant as a company standing behind it's dealers and customers. Feel sorry for the LBS owners having to call up their customers…apparently not the best response from some customers. Giant has been fantastic and I cannot think what more they could do.
I'm still waiting on an update from my lbs but I think leftieant is right.. it would be nice to have something to ride if i've got a 3+ month wait for delivery. Especially after being in the system for a 3 week delivery. Total time waiting could easily blow out to 4 or 5 or 6 months depending on the impact of this recall.. incredibly frustrating!

Jubas

Likes Dirt
My LBS has hooked me up with a brand new Anthem X1 while I have to wait! how good is that?? Sad to hear about the recall(mine has been on order since june0, but stoked by my LBS handling of the situation!
Had you actually received your anthem 29er yet, or are you on the waiting list as well?

wingy

Likes Dirt
Had you actually received your anthem 29er yet, or are you on the waiting list as well?
I am pretty sure Copenbas is in the same situation as me. Both in Brisbane and the dealers never even saw the bikes before the recall.
I am pretty bummed about the recall and I am sure Giant would rather it hadn't happened. It could have gone the way of some of the other frame failure instances where you recieved the bike, rode it and it snapped, and then you have to go through the pain of the warranty claim. It wouldn't matter what stand they took, someone would be unhappy. Good on them for fixing the issue early and owning up to the problem. It'll get fixed and the bikes will be worth the wait.
FWIW, I am going to be on the 2011 XTC 1 until the Anthems come back in.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Just spoke to my lbs and Giant have been telling them that none have even landed in Aus yet - nothing about a recall or anything!

Lbs is calling the rep back at the moment

nsr077

Likes Dirt
This could be good for you guys - you could try the Trance X1 and realise its all the bike you will ever need and the best bike ever made by anyone ever in the history of bike making..

Cancel those A29 orders then. Now if they decide to make a Trance 29er next year the best bike ever made may change...

Jubas

Likes Dirt
So not much more insight after my second chat with lbs - kinda feel sorry for those guys. Apparently there are still some bikes sitting in quarantine which they're not allowed to sell. Giant Taiwan are obviously going to have to redo these frames before selling them.

Pre-order count in NSW is apparently at about the 80 mark.

I'm still showing up as week 34 in the dealer portal, although that's obviously going to change, as... well, week 34 is almost over.

Sighhhh

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Saw an XL on hold at Chain Reaction Cycles Cronulla today - looked good, the frame finish really is unlike anything Giant have elsewhere in their range today. Certainly extremely good value considering the parts mix.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Already on a 2011 XTC1 29er supplied as part of the recall.
Oh and apparently the XL Anthem are not affected due to an extra gusset?

Anyone got a photo of the XL gusset? Just wondering where the actual weak spot is.

Hopefully it's just a new front triangle getting supplied and it moves quickly cause I rode mine around stromlo today and then had to hand it back. I've got an anthem x1 as a replacement but it feels like I'm a monkey on a tricycle after riding the 29er. Hope it's back in time for the highland fling in nov because I just don't think I can go back to the 26ers:eek:

Rick_B

Likes Bikes
32 pages of chat on a bike which still isn't readily available or widely ridden yet.

I hope it lives up to the hype it's getting on this thread. It certainly looks the part, and is bullshit good value for money.