Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

Jubas

Likes Dirt
OK now i am getting the shits !!!!!
Spoke to my shop still 4-6 weeks away and to top it of on the way home from work just saw one crusing down the bike path in Ryde !!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad:
North Ryde or up around lane cove bridge? I was out last night just doing a road/path ride to get the setup sorted a bit more. I was in a fluro yellow jersey, and slightly out of shape. Sorry to hear it's going to be so much longer :(

In terms of setup, i'm getting a lot closer. I remembered how far forward karl decker's saddle was, so shifted mine accordingly, and it's given me much better engagement with the cranks. I switched to my old saddle at the same time (Selle Italia Q-Bik) which i think is heaver than the stock. I'm a little bit stupid to be honest - I should have made one change at a time as right now i can't determine whether the better setup is because of the new saddle position, the new saddle, or a combination of the two. I'll try swapping back to the original saddle in the new position.

I also added a little extra pressure to the fork - about 130PSI now i think. I'm 90kgs all kitted up and the fork was traveling a little too much for my liking.. tests continue

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a guy on an Anthem cruise past me on my roadie ride this AM in Brisbane.
Nice looking bike.

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Sighting

Must have been you Jubas

Went and test rode one today at Manly in a Medium.
Don't want to loose my deposit otherwise would be buying it tomorrow !!!

Ride and shifts awesome !!!!

Frame only module

There seems to be quite a few mixed reports out there.

Email from Giant Australia says shops should have the Anthem X available as a frame only in the next two weeks. LBS says they can't supply the backlog of people after a complete bike this year, so a frame only won't be possible until next year.

Nice problem to have for Giant I guess and at $3,500 complete bike with XT it's fantastic value.

Anyone else heard anything about when you may be able to get a frame only?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
That's the weird thing... I didn't even ask. Salesman said "We haven't got any stock at the minute, but if you want one you can have it for $2850, just need a deposit" Me "Done!"
Yes, same here. I still can't quite work it out though but went back the next day and ordered two, and I think another has been ordered from my word-of-mouth.
I'm kinda nervous.. I mean.. is it too good to be true? Although the shop has only been giving off good-confidence vibes so far and they've been around ages. Hope it's here for christmas though - my XL is still scheduled for week 51, mate's L for wk 50.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Giant have never supplied frames only, except as warranty replacements....I wonder what has made them change their mind???
Maybe we're completely off track and the delay isn't due to the frame. It might be something like a shortage in the Fox F29. Specialized (the other large manufacturer producing multiple 29ers) is offering Rockshoxs..

Bodin

GMBC
Specialized (the other large manufacturer producing multiple 29ers) is offering Rockshoxs..
Specialized and Rock Shox have been working together on their 29" fork for quite a while and it's not because of any shortage of Fox products.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Specialized and Rock Shox have been working together on their 29" fork for quite a while and it's not because of any shortage of Fox products.
Nope - I'm just saying that there may be a shortage on Foxs as Giant seems to be the only large brand selling them in numbers. There isn't the same issue with Rockshox/Specialized, so it might a fox specific problem rather than a frame problem as we believe..

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok having read ALL 56 pages, i am hoooked. Going to test ride a large tomorow and possibly throw down a deposit.

jdog73

Likes Bikes
Yes, same here. I still can't quite work it out though but went back the next day and ordered two, and I think another has been ordered from my word-of-mouth.
I'm kinda nervous.. I mean.. is it too good to be true? Although the shop has only been giving off good-confidence vibes so far and they've been around ages. Hope it's here for christmas though - my XL is still scheduled for week 51, mate's L for wk 50.
I picked up a medium today at BA Manly. Stoked! They said that they had a couple of Large's in stock but didn't mention XL. If your mate is in a hurry, maybe give them a call?

struggles

Likes Dirt
I rode my mates Anthem today. Awesome machine, I want one now.

I didn't play with any settings at all and it rode really well.

He has only had it a week and now its nice and dirty already after a lap of Coondoo then over for a lap of Superbowl.

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Giant have never supplied frames only, except as warranty replacements....I wonder what has made them change their mind???
Giant Australia have had a frame program (non warranty) for the last two years. The problem is the majority of Giant dealers in Aus are too stupid to even look in their dealer manual to realise.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it's more the price of the frames - the frame availability is sent out every week in the same email as their stock list.

I've priced them a couple of times, for myself and for customers - freaking expensive really!

Timbers

Likes Dirt
I think it's more the price of the frames - the frame availability is sent out every week in the same email as their stock list.

I've priced them a couple of times, for myself and for customers - freaking expensive really!
freaking expensive comparatively to?..........................

oh!, and trust me, just because the frame availability is emailed out with the bike stocksheets doesnt mean the majority of the dealers know about them, to be totally honest I am genuinely confused how most of the bicycle dealers in Aus stay in bussiness, its probably the most unprofessional industry I have worked in, but hey! I am a cynical basterd.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll qualify my statement - freaking expensive compared to the cost of the cost of a brand new Giant bike.

Agree on your opinion of the industry - there are certainly people in the business that perhaps shouldn't. It does however leave an opportunity for someone that knows their stuff to move in and actually deliver some service and quality product.

There are some brilliant operators out there, but there is a lot of chaff as well.