Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Nice to see a few more rolling onto the trails.

Latest update from me and a few thoughts on the handlebar (essentially a cross post from mtbr)

I'm still unsure on the bars. I did a 4 hour, 50km ride on Sunday and i was getting tingling in my hands/wrists from about the 3.5 hour mark. I'm not sure whether this is a result of the width of the bar, the sweep on the bar, or the fact that i'm just using foam grips. I'm still not 100% on it, so will give it a little longer until i make a decision. At some point i'll probably replace it with a carbon bar, but want to at least make sure that i'm not testing with carbon bars ($$$$$$!)

Next upgrade will certainly focus on the wheels. They're definitely harder to get up to speed than my previous 26er. At the moment i'm thinking stans arch rim with a TWE hub running specialized s-works fast traks (2bliss) tubeless. Having said that, i'm a bit of a newbie to custom wheelsets, so am still very much doing my research.

victor h

Likes Bikes
Handlebar Position and some set up points for my 2c worth

Well, up and riding in NZ too. Love the bike. Can run tire pressure just under 20psi in the front and 25psi at the back. What a plush ride with a massive foot print.....and that is with 2.1 Cross Mark's....imagine with a bigger volume tire.

But the saddle to bar hight just seems very upright for me. The XTC 29er had me leaning over much more with more weight over the front. Anyone run the stem other way around? Drops the bars by heaps. Seen one pic on here where the stem has been moved down a spacer or two?

On another note, to get the brake levers further out, removed the shifter indicators, simple little job with neat covers under the indicator covers to seal up the cleaner looking shifter unit, this allows the shifters to go on the outside of the brake unit on the bar.

Also got a Joplin adjustable seat post on. Need to move the saddle forward a little. The seat post flexes a little too much for my like as it is extended quite far......6ft on a medium. Felt the large was just too big.

Bike weighs at 12.4kg....(with seat post and XTR Pedals)

Handlebar set-up

I'm Struggles friend with an Anthem 29er.
Firstly - sorry world - I saw the bike on the rack in the Giant concept store at Belconnen, I checked the credit card limit, I brought it because they had floor stock and I knew that the sole Large Anthem 29er in-store would not last any procrastination.

Before I took it out the door of the bike shop, I asked for the 100mm stem be replaced with an 80mm. When I got it home I replaced the flat bar with a riser bar. Nothing downhillish, but something with a bit of a rearward rake so the elbows are not sticking out from the body in order for the wrists to be at a comfortable angle to the hangers. I am 179cm tall and the magic book of Giant bikes stated that I am to be supplied with a Medium frame. I respectively declined and asked for the large. I am very glad I did. I do have long legs for my height and I do not like to ride around like a half shut pocket knife. The seat post is set on the 70mm line and the bike feels great. I previously rode a Haro Mary XC 18 inch - too cramped even with the 100mm stem and I needed an extra long seat post to ride comfortably. I carefully measured the effective/actual top tube length of all my bikes (I don't sell them - no money in it) and compared it to the AUS Giant website geometry information (the US site sucks). So forewarned and forearmed, when I was presented with the unexpected circumstance of finding the only bike store in Australia with floor stock of this particular bike, I knew exactly what I wanted. I was staying in Canberra with little to do between the SCOTT 24hr (solo support crew duties) and a Powderfinger concert on Tuesday night.

The bike did a early morning 2 hour ride of Majura which convinced me of the value and worth of the bike. Even my Rigid Single Speed Friend (RSSF) was impressed after a 10 min blat. I shall not name him in order to protect his cred.
The 4 hour ride with Struggles saw both of us live up to his name, but I have never had a bike look after me so well. Excessive weight sees me with some lower back pain. No back pain at all when I got back or the morning after. Before the 4 hr ride I removed the front Crossmark and replaced with a WTB Exiwolf and reduced tire pressure from the shop standard of 40-50 psi to 30 - even a +100kg man can get away with these pressures and the extra volume of the exiwolf will see you right.

Early days yet, but I see this bike renewing an ailing interest in MTBing for myself. I love big wheels and I loved my old KHS 604 Duallie (I have been told by a very reliable source that the new 2011 X-fusion Velvet front forks are 650B compatible..interesting). Now I have the best of both worlds.

Then I look at my RSSF and his sub 1000 bike and the fun he has on that and wonder if I truly get MTBing at all.

For those wondering about the price and the value, check out this link. I have never seen a new bike being sold in AUS cheaper than in the USA. US RRP = 3675.00. It was 3750.00US two weeks ago. Also check out the cost of the equivalent Pivot, Gary Fisher/Specialized with similar grouppos and shocks.. I am very happy with the price.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er/7508/44088/

Jubas

Likes Dirt
But the saddle to bar hight just seems very upright for me. The XTC 29er had me leaning over much more with more weight over the front. Anyone run the stem other way around? Drops the bars by heaps. Seen one pic on here where the stem has been moved down a spacer or two?
I've not run my stem the other way around, but i've moved a spacer on top of the stem to drop the front end a bit. I think for the time being the setup is working for me - i feel like i can get enough weight over the front when i need to without feeling like i'm going to endo :)

Need to move the saddle forward a little.
Are other people making this change as well? It was a successful one for me and i remember the picture of karl decker's bike when it was in prototype stage:

They might have tweaked the geometry since then, but my saddle is in a very similar position to Karl's

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Also got a Joplin adjustable seat post on. Need to move the saddle forward a little. The seat post flexes a little too much for my like as it is extended quite far......6ft on a medium. Felt the large was just too big.
Victor

I am sorry but I am going to come across as rude here.
Everything you have posted about your bike position issues would point to one thing IMO.
You should be on a large.
Too upright.....top tube too short
Too much seatpost.....seat tube too short

I am 6'2.5" and would ride an XL. I could not imagine even trying to fit on a M.
I test rode a large Tallboy which is a similar size and while I could ride it to test, there is no way I would want to own it in that size.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Decker is using a seatpost with a long setback then with his saddle foward. Maybe because he had the post laying around or maybe because the manufacturer doesnt make a non setback seatpost.

Im using a KCNC no setback post and run the saddle in the middle of its rails (Same as running it foward on the standard seatpost.

He also has a long stem 130mm and riser bar. Long stem puts weight over the front.

In terms of tingling its not the flat bar but sweep (lack of) that would cause this.

Im using a Giant SLR riser at 670 width with grips overhanging a 1 cm on each end so its actually 690mm wide. Solved the tingling problem for me.

I run a 110stem flipped and down 1 spacer to get me over the front of the bike. Doing this I run the rear shock at 8mm sag as your using the front fork moreso than the rear due to weight bias.

Makes the bike feel more snappy, great on climbs less so on decents......

You have to be comfortable on your bike so just do what feels right for you. Borrow parts from friends to play around with setup and if you like it change it.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
In terms of tingling its not the flat bar but sweep (lack of) that would cause this.

Im using a Giant SLR riser at 670 width with grips overhanging a 1 cm on each end so its actually 690mm wide. Solved the tingling problem for me.
Ah, so you had the same tingling then? Good feedback - i've got a low rise bar sitting around so might swap it over and see how i go..

jdog73

Likes Bikes
Here's my 2 cents:

Get rid of the choss-marks asap. They were apparently "developed by World Champion Christoph Sauser"... BEFORE he became World Champion on S-Works (Specialized) tyres. I just spent $160 on a pair of S-Works Renegades, which sounds expensive, but when you understand that they are under a kilo for the pair (yes, only 480 grams EACH :eek::eek::eek:), have significantly better grip than the skid-marks and are a proper tubeless-compatible tyre (they inflate without ANY sealant), they are BY FAR the best bang-for-buck upgrade you can get for your bike. It will be transformed.
Seat height is simpler than most people realise - with your pedal at its lowest point in the rotation, your foot totally flat and your HEEL on the pedal, your leg should be completely straight. That way, when you move the ball of your foot back on the the pedal, you'll get the natural bend that you need to avoid knee injury, but you'll have enough extension to ensure good power.

Fore/aft adjustment of the saddle tends to depend on your shin/thigh ratio. Long thighs, move the saddle forward. Long shins, move the saddle back. Not sure? Start in the middle of the rails and don't move it unless you know you actually need to. Or you could just go to a bike shop and get them to fit you properly, which is another great and often ignored "bang-for-buck" upgrade that always pays dividends.

Yes, ride the front of this bike religiously. A tapered headtube, 15mm thru-axle and quality Fox internals means it's the strong point of the bike. And that's not taking anything away from the very successful Maestro rear suspension. But with a front end that accurate, you can just bury it in things and survive with flying colours. I basically ride my XTC 29er like a DH bike. I feel sorry for the wheels. Just wait 'till I've got 4 inches in my rear... let me re-phrase that. :eek:

Anyway, all jokes aside, avoid upgrades that don't absolutely guarantee to improve the bike and 100% of the time, ride it like you stole it.
Good advice. Fair call on the cross marks. I had some close calls with my front end sliding out on the first couple of rides. I changed the front over to an Maxxis Ignitor & left the original on the rear. Not as good as the Renegades, but a decent improvement for less $.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crossmarks are definitely not a front tyre.
CM back Ignitor front is one of the most used "racing" combinations I have seen.
Definitely want to try out the Specialized 2Bliss tyres though.

victor h

Likes Bikes
Victor

I am sorry but I am going to come across as rude here.
Everything you have posted about your bike position issues would point to one thing IMO.
You should be on a large.
Too upright.....top tube too short
Too much seatpost.....seat tube too short

I am 6'2.5" and would ride an XL. I could not imagine even trying to fit on a M.
I test rode a large Tallboy which is a similar size and while I could ride it to test, there is no way I would want to own it in that size.
Not rude mate. Lucky you said in your opinion. Giant suggest a medium is suitable for riders from 5'7 up to 6'1. Riding a L for me make me sit up even higher as the bigger the frame the lower the seat post is in the frame. So more comfy but less over the front.

Having said that, did a 40km ride last night. Some urban riding with some single track thrown in. With the stem flipped over, hmmm, just a little too far down. But man, does is climb now....no front wheel life even on serious granny gear pinch climbs. Anyway, will flip it over and drop it the two spacers today as others have tried.

Saddle right forward is the way to go.

Brakes have started squeaking, but sure thats some brake dust and will go with a wash....otherwise.....XTR brakes that are on my shelf will go on.....will be a pain fitting the blue hoses though.....all in the name of appearances though.

Man this bike is the BOMB

Bodin

GMBC
Are there any other options?
Yep - a different bike? Not entirely sure why you'd be setting up a $3500 XC race bike for road commuting...

You could pick up an old pub bike for about the same cost as most high end mud guards. Apologies if you've bought the Anthem as your "one bike", but that would surprise me.

victor h

Likes Bikes
I went for a quick ride in the rain today, 90% tarmac. And man i ate a lot of muddy water. That front tyre just picks up everything and spits it right at you. I figure enough of that, and am looking for a mud guard.

The only one i can see that doesn't rely on fitment under the head is something like this, http://www.crudproducts.com/products/fast-fender-2/steve-fast-fender

Get rid of the CM tires first.....they are known for throwing up stuff.....you may not need them with another tire.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not rude mate. Lucky you said in your opinion. Giant suggest a medium is suitable for riders from 5'7 up to 6'1. Riding a L for me make me sit up even higher as the bigger the frame the lower the seat post is in the frame. So more comfy but less over the front.

Having said that, did a 40km ride last night. Some urban riding with some single track thrown in. With the stem flipped over, hmmm, just a little too far down. But man, does is climb now....no front wheel life even on serious granny gear pinch climbs. Anyway, will flip it over and drop it the two spacers today as others have tried.

Saddle right forward is the way to go.

Brakes have started squeaking, but sure thats some brake dust and will go with a wash....otherwise.....XTR brakes that are on my shelf will go on.....will be a pain fitting the blue hoses though.....all in the name of appearances though.

Man this bike is the BOMB
Would love to see a pic of your setup.
Sizing charts are not always right and looking at 3 different 29er manufacturers with similar sized bikes they all have different recommendations.
Also no sizing chart will take into account your arm length, leg length etc.
According to Santa Cruz's sizing chart my team mate should be on a medium. According to their chart she is slap bang in the middle of who fits that size.
She tried it and it just did not work.
Stem too long, seatpost way extended, layback seatpost needed.
Large fits her perfectly with a straight seatpost and 90mm stem.
It must fit her AOK as she just came 2nd in her age group at the Worlds on it.

Glad you love it though.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I went for a quick ride in the rain today, 90% tarmac. And man i ate a lot of muddy water. That front tyre just picks up everything and spits it right at you. I figure enough of that, and am looking for a mud guard.

The only one i can see that doesn't rely on fitment under the head is something like this, http://www.crudproducts.com/products/fast-fender-2/steve-fast-fender

I'd change the tyre first. I noticed the front picking up sand/mud when riding the time before last, so you're not alone!

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am going to look like I am harping on this I know but this comment is not correct.

The M and the L have the same size head tube and the same ST and HT angles.
Therefore the height of the bars on the M and the L will be exactly the same given that you use the same tyres, fork, headset, spacers, stem and bars.
The seat height from the BB will be unchanged between the M and the L.
A longer seat tube will do absolutely nothing to change any of this.
The only difference will be how far back from the bars you will be and this can be adjusted easily with a change to the stem length and/or angle.

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
Went past Bicycle Inc bike shop on Toorak Road Melbourne last night to see one in the flesh. They do look very nice, they even have size extra large!

The one in the window looked even nicer wrapped in XTR drive train.