Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

Lard

Likes Dirt
For my xtc29er Giant HQ swapped out the rear rotor for a solid G3 rotor (no slots at all) and that fixed it for me.

A solution that's worked great for a friends Salsa with noisy elixers is wrap a piece of tube around the seat stay. It works well on the hardtail, it might work on the anthem too.

Lard

Likes Dirt
Spotted at Gravity

I saw this among a friends random shots from Gravity, Is this anyone here? maybe leftieant? if so what are you impressions of the bike after a good race workout?

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not me, mine was far filthier than that.

Brief race report (iPhone keyboard sucks!):

Bike rocks. Setup now right on the money. This thing loves speed and singletrail, anywhere you can hold speed it is just a rocket.

Saw at least 5 of them there.

tegski

Likes Dirt
I'm still trying to fix it…
If you do a search on Elixirs, Avid has a fix with a solid rotor as a dealer fix. Seems a bit drastic.
Was also told about copper anti-seize on the back of the pads - not sure I want grease that close to the brakes though…
Any other suggestions?

wingy

Likes Dirt
Any one have any brake sqeal ? And have you fixed it ? How did you fix it ?
If you didn't bed the brakes clean (ie. not on a MTB ride and by doing hill runs on the bitumen) it will be hard to fix. If you bed them in clean you should have a lot less problems. Otherwise deal with it or get new pads.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still trying to fix it…
If you do a search on Elixirs, Avid has a fix with a solid rotor as a dealer fix. Seems a bit drastic.
Was also told about copper anti-seize on the back of the pads - not sure I want grease that close to the brakes though…
Any other suggestions?
That copper anti seize is also used on some cars to stop brake squeal. You should be ok if it's applied carefully.

nexusfish

El Mariachi
hey all,
i am looking at getting one of these fine steeds and i was wondering how people are finding the sizes. i am 6'1 and i have a large 26"anthem. i have long arms and long legs and i fing getting the right size on bike difficult. my current bike has the seat post out real far to compensate but feels ok on the top tube. what size bike are the 6'1 guys riding and is it a good fit?

also, has there been any of the frame snapping issues with the 29er that the 2010 26er anthems had? i had mine break at the seat tube/top tube junction and appaently its fairly common.

cheers

notime

Likes Dirt
hey all,
i am looking at getting one of these fine steeds and i was wondering how people are finding the sizes. i am 6'1 and i have a large 26"anthem. i have long arms and long legs and i fing getting the right size on bike difficult. my current bike has the seat post out real far to compensate but feels ok on the top tube. what size bike are the 6'1 guys riding and is it a good fit?

also, has there been any of the frame snapping issues with the 29er that the 2010 26er anthems had? i had mine break at the seat tube/top tube junction and appaently its fairly common.

cheers
Can't help on sizing I am 6'5 on an XL Anthem 29er, L is not an option. but as for the snapping frame issue, around the weld on my top tube to seat tube there are some factory nicks in the alloy that I am dissapointed in, I hope they don't become a point of failure.

My brakes are only noisy in the wet. But that's expected.

Rode the beast in the 90km Gong ride on sunday. Man this thing rolls! Suckers on tiny tyre road bikes were stacking hard on the downhill on the wet NP roads.

Bodin

GMBC
Only $500 off for a second hand bike? I've been quoted less than that for new. Tell him he's dreaming!
Reminds me just how good the RRP is on the A29 in the first place. I can't think of too many bikes with ZERO weak points for that kind of money...

Reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly hanging out to get mine now.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only $500 off for a second hand bike? I've been quoted less than that for new. Tell him he's dreaming!
Most Giant dealers will tirm the ticketed price to $3k with a gentle customer push.

Been offered silly deals all over the place in Sydney at the moment.

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Most Giant dealers will tirm the ticketed price to $3k with a gentle customer push.

Been offered silly deals all over the place in Sydney at the moment.
Exactly my point, I've got no doubt that he'll get the price but considering what ice been quoted for new, $3G for second hand even slightly is a bit much. Amd I agree with the pp it's a great bike for spec, just got to convince the wife.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[Retail hat on]

Any shop that offers a discount on the Anthem 29 probably needs their head read. It's the hottest bike Giant have released in donkeys, there is huge demand for them, there's bugger-all stock, and there is a waiting list.

Why would you need to discount them to get them out the door?

Computer says no...

Jubas

Likes Dirt
[Retail hat on]

Any shop that offers a discount on the Anthem 29 probably needs their head read. It's the hottest bike Giant have released in donkeys, there is huge demand for them, there's bugger-all stock, and there is a waiting list.

Why would you need to discount them to get them out the door?

Computer says no...
heh, my head is thinking the same thing too :)

Starting to get really p'd off with all the rain in Sydney recently.. haven't been able to get out nearly as much as i would have liked.

Ended up picking up a twin set of Ayups rather than a new wheelset for now. Work is hammering me (late finishes) and i think i'll get more use with some decent lights than a wheelset would provide :)

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Anyone else noticed a lot of creaking around the seat/seatpost area?

Its started to get pretty bad on mine. Took my seat off, and took apart all the clamping at the top of the post, cleaned and lightly greased.. still creaking though, didnt seem to have any affect. Maybe the sounds coming from the post and the frame, i dont know. Bloody annoying though.

victor h

Likes Bikes
Brakes fixed....

Well the copper slip on the back of the pads and seems we have for now put off the XTR brakes.
Still think this bike is the best thing out!!!!

Oh and Jubas, good call on the lights.....think the std wheels are great.