Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Finally got mine, 2 days of fiddling and I'll be off to hit some dirt. Did the right thing by bedding in the brakes too.

Noob alert: the diagrams for the shock have the valve on the other side, so is the 'propedal' setting where the lever is flicked to the right (as in right side of the bike if you were to be sitting on it)? And how many of you are keeping the stock stem? first impressions are it's a bit too long? further report after my ride tomorrow, see if i can work out the propedal thing? And the diagram shows it can be locked out (turned to the top) but mine seems only to want to go open or propedal?????

wingy

Likes Dirt
Finally got mine, 2 days of fiddling and I'll be off to hit some dirt. Did the right thing by bedding in the brakes too.

Noob alert: the diagrams for the shock have the valve on the other side, so is the 'propedal' setting where the lever is flicked to the right (as in right side of the bike if you were to be sitting on it)? And how many of you are keeping the stock stem? first impressions are it's a bit too long? further report after my ride tomorrow, see if i can work out the propedal thing? And the diagram shows it can be locked out (turned to the top) but mine seems only to want to go open or propedal?????
Propedal is to the right as you sit on the bike.
Well done on bedding the brakes. They still squeal a bit when wet but hey, thats MTB for ya!
Stem length is a very personal thing. I changed mine down to a 90mm on my medium and liked it better for handling. Having said that i did enjoy the longer stem for long climbs. I may even swap it back now after a longer test period and see how I go. It might cost a bit but a bike fit from a reputable source is worth it's weight in comfort.
Good luck with it.

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Cheers, worked it out frm the youtubes, the diagram that came with it is backwards for some reason? First real ride today and very impressed, the brakes felt a little 'soft' but were getting better towered the end of the ride, dropped the bars and rotates the controls, I was getting pains in my hands, should be fixed now. It's so fast and smooth, will have to play with pressures and rebound on the back, the fork is where I want it. Great great bike, freakin awesome

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Right, well I'm fed up with the stock bars - they absolutely kill my wrists after anything more than ~60 minutes. I find my hands holding on to them in weird positions - almost as if they were already seeking out greater sweep!

I've just placed an order for some Salsa Carbon Pro Moto bars - 11 degree sweep. I think the 31.8/11 sweep comes in at ~170 grams or so.

http://salsacycles.com/components/pro_moto_carbon_flat/

Now, i've not got a torque wrench, and this is my first carbon product. Any rules of thumb for tightening the stem bolts?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any rules of thumb for tightening the stem bolts?
Yep - get a torque wrench. Money very well spent, you'll find you use it on just about everything. Having seen a number of bars, posts and frames cracked through people guesstimating the torque required, I consider a good torque wrench an investment.

I'm considering the same bars - also tossing up the 3T flat bars (I think Salsa may win out though). Ordered locally or interwebby? Price?

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Yep - get a torque wrench. Money very well spent, you'll find you use it on just about everything. Having seen a number of bars, posts and frames cracked through people guesstimating the torque required, I consider a good torque wrench an investment.

I'm considering the same bars - also tossing up the 3T flat bars (I think Salsa may win out though). Ordered locally or interwebby? Price?
Any suggestions on a torque wrench?

Ended up going Jenson USA - $158.50 USD including delivery. Would have preferred to go local as per usual, but was quoted 'a couple of hundred'. The Aussie dollar has picked up again, so probably not a bad option to consider.

Last edited:
Well I'm not a happy camper. I now have a crack right were my top tube and seat post meet. Right next to the weld.

A few months old, the best bike I ever owned, and now its cracked.

Would love to take it back from where I bought it, but i moved interstate recently, so now i have to go through all the rigmarole of getting it replaced and somehow avoiding a 1000km trip to my old LBS.

I really hate it when new stuff breaks.

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Well I'm not a happy camper. I now have a crack right were my top tube and seat post meet. Right next to the weld.

Would love to take it back from where I bought it, but i moved interstate recently, so now i have to go through all the rigmarole of getting it replaced and somehow avoiding a 1000km trip to my old LBS.

That sucks!
Have to admit, I am constantly checking for that.

Win

Likes Dirt

A few months old you say...is this a pre-recall frame or a post recall frame?

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Can't believe this thread about one questionable bike has overtaken the Post Your 29er thread with so many wonderful machines.

Bodin

GMBC
Can't believe this thread about one questionable bike has overtaken the Post Your 29er thread with so many wonderful machines.
Yeah... it's not like Niner or any of those other cool boutique brands have ever had any quality control issues, is it?

:p

Last edited:

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt

Why not just go to the nearest Giant LBS to where you are now living and explain your situation. A phone call to the original purchase LBS will bring up the necessary warrantee numbers. I'm sure Giant will replace asap.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Yeah... it's not like Niner or any of those other cool boutique brands have ever had any quality control issues, is it?

:p
Cheers Bodin :p I've been around here long enough to know not to enter into a pissing contest with you. ;)
Not blowing my own trumpet either - I'm not about that in the slightest.
I had a very boutique Intense 6.6 that had major quality control issues with it.
Would've been much better off with a Trance.
Cheers mate.

Lard

Likes Dirt
Why not just go to the nearest Giant LBS to where you are now living and explain your situation. A phone call to the original purchase LBS will bring up the necessary warrantee numbers. I'm sure Giant will replace asap.
+1, Giant should be be happy to do this. I had a xtc 29er frame replaced at a different shop cos I couldn't be bothered driving 40k's to the original place I bought it.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plus 2.
Your warranty is with Giant not the shop you bought it from.

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Update !! What upgrades have you done !!!!

Anthem 29er
upgrades

Maxis Ignitor Front Tire
fsa carbon bars k force flat bars 110 grams
Ritchey Foam Grips
Current Weight of 11.84kg (with egg beaters )

KCNC Titanium seat post 140 grams
Fsa Os99 Stem 113 grams Maybe now 11.60 kg
Next wheels maybe !!!

Mine is an Medium Size

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
Cheers Bodin :p I've been around here long enough to know not to enter into a pissing contest with you. ;)
Not blowing my own trumpet either - I'm not about that in the slightest.
I had a very boutique Intense 6.6 that had major quality control issues with it.
Would've been much better off with a Trance.
Cheers mate.
Sorry to hear about your issues with the Intense - always been a brand I've lusted after, but never had the pleasure to ride in recent years. Had a brief stint on an M1 "back in the day", which was a brilliant bike for its time, but became a regretful sale during a period of extreme destitution.

My smart-arse comment was aimed specifically at the Jet9 failures from more recent times. All brands cop a dud at one point or another and I have to admit that even though I'm on the new-gen Anthem, I'm still very nervous about its longevity. It's the main reason I'm not selling my XTC - nice to have a back up in the shed...

No personal offense intended towards you. Cheers. :cool: