Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

wingy

Likes Dirt
And does does anyone know where to buy this stuff online?
I tried doing a search a while ago to find them but it seems that you will pretty much need to talk to a Trek dealer to get the parts. Here in Brisbane that was difficult to say the least as they seemed uninterested in helping out with it. In the end my local Giant dealer sourced them and supplied them.

notime

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the tips on tubeless setup. To confim, the parts you used were:

http://bontrager.com/model/02566

Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric (part # 406892)
Tubeless Rim Valve (part # 250324)

Are there any guides for the procedure for the valve? i.e. taking out the valve bit?
I have a prestaflator for my compressor and found I did not need to take the valve stem out. It just unscrews with a pair of pointy pliers if you need to, when it comes new in the packet they are just finger tight anyway.

Trek Cycles Rouse Hill can get the strips in, they carry the valves in stock. I don't know the part numbers I just asked for the 29er bontrager rythem strips and valves.

I could not find anywhere online to purchase them in AU. Was going to have them shipped in the US from Trek online to family and sent here but it was just easier to pay the higher price here, pick them up an be done with it.

There is a place in Canberra that carries them too listed in this thread, I beleive the shops needs to have a Trek account to order them.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm, suspension pressures.

Recommendation from earlier in the thread is 100% (in lbs) for rear, 60% for front.

I'm at 207lbs, let's round it up to 210. This gives me 210 rear, 125 front.

I'm currently running 160/90 - this is a fair step up! Having said that, I'm running Propedal on #2, so that may account for some of the difference.

Off to Mont tomorrow, so I don't think I'll mess with the settings pre-race. I might go up though and cut a practice lap, and see how I go.

Might be something in this, or it might be complete bollocks. Let's see.

tegski

Likes Dirt
Strips look the same - symmetrical versions though. I just asked a Trek shop for the strip in the 29er version and the valve to suit. The top of the valve unscrews for filling up with goo. First purchase was pretty expensive ie $40 for the single strip and valve. After it worked and I went back a week later - second set was half price as I had told the person in the shop I was a Maths teacher and then pulled out the CORC card for the 10% discount….he freaked and said a number that came into his head and I said OK…I figured that between both purchases it was almost a fair price!

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Strips look the same - symmetrical versions though. I just asked a Trek shop for the strip in the 29er version and the valve to suit. The top of the valve unscrews for filling up with goo. First purchase was pretty expensive ie $40 for the single strip and valve. After it worked and I went back a week later - second set was half price as I had told the person in the shop I was a Maths teacher and then pulled out the CORC card for the 10% discount….he freaked and said a number that came into his head and I said OK…I figured that between both purchases it was almost a fair price!
Why did he freak about a maths teacher?

notime

Likes Dirt

Recommendation from earlier in the thread is 100% (in lbs) for rear, 60% for front.

I'm currently running 160/90 - this is a fair step up! Having said that, I'm running Propedal on #2, so that may account for some of the difference.

Off to Mont tomorrow, so I don't think I'll mess with the settings pre-race. I might go up though and cut a practice lap, and see how I go.

I am around 210lbs dry maybe a little heavier and run the fork at 100 any more than that it just harsh. The rear I cant remember what I settled at but it was pretty close the 200 mark might have been right on 200. I tend not to use the propedal.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
you cannot purchase anything made by trek/bontrager online.

$80 is less than most tubeless setups cost. stan's kits cost $130. bontrager strips are re-usable (unlike yellowtape) and more durable (ie, not just a manufactured equivalent of a cut open tube)

tegski

Likes Dirt
Ah - the challenge of working out a 10% discount!
…and $80 for a couple of strips of plastic and valves that come with an O ring…I know development costs, but really?

Bodin

GMBC
Ah - the challenge of working out a 10% discount!
…and $80 for a couple of strips of plastic and valves that come with an O ring…I know development costs, but really?
3 grand for a 4" 29er with 10-speed XT, excellent suspension and reasonable wheels.

You win some, you lose some.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
reread the Giant X 29 review in latest mountain bike au mag and what do you guys reckon re handling tight single track vs more open track riding?

reviewer (on an XL) says something like long wheel base makes bike perfect for more straight line biking, when bike hits the curly stuff it aren't as agile or maneuverable.

now of course it is no 26er, but I haven't found a problem on switch backs or tight single track (mine's Medium). Although I haven't done any racing on bike where I would push bike to limit to see the real character.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I've not found any issues with tight singletrack, although i did have to increase the weight i put on the front wheel. It was a bit of a learning experience for me, but i certainly don't feel disadvantaged..

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
reread the Giant X 29 review in latest mountain bike au mag and what do you guys reckon re handling tight single track vs more open track riding?

reviewer (on an XL) says something like long wheel base makes bike perfect for more straight line biking, when bike hits the curly stuff it aren't as agile or maneuverable.

now of course it is no 26er, but I haven't found a problem on switch backs or tight single track (mine's Medium). Although I haven't done any racing on bike where I would push bike to limit to see the real character.
Even if it was relatively sluggish in the tight stuff you'd get used to it. Do you find it slower handling in comparison to the XTC?

My friend finds his AnthemX a very stable and surefooted machine, that can seem a little slow steering initially.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Last year did bike buller on a trance x1 and this year on X29er. The X29 outperformed the trance except in the tightest of switchbacks on cornhill. Climbed like the proverbial mountain goat and a whole lot of fun on stonefly. Also rode Willo Enduro on X29 and it was superb except for those few tighter U bends........ BUT am holdng onto my trance for short twisty tech courses.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even if it was relatively sluggish in the tight stuff you'd get used to it. Do you find it slower handling in comparison to the XTC?

My friend finds his AnthemX a very stable and surefooted machine, that can seem a little slow steering initially.
it would be a good comparison test ht vs fs, find them both similar, except the XTC can be really ripped through a bend, example being coming out of a tight turn I can shift body + stomp pedal and nicely set up for next corner, where X29 seems a bit lazier. But ... suspect bars are part of cause i.e. can't man handle bike as well and suspension needs to be dialed.

The more I ride however on bikes at this level, the more I'm convinced the rider really is the biggest factor in performance and handling - we all know this, but reckon as I have got fitter and am riding more aggressively bike doesn't matter as much as it used to.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well after 7 laps of Kowen at higher pressures, I can confirm that it rocks.

Settled at 95/195 which seemed to work well. Used all of the rear travel and about 70% of front.

Much more direct than it was - point, shoot and hold on!

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
I used mine at the Bright 6 hour which had some of the tightest single track I've ever come across. It rocked. Nobody (NOBODY!!!) passed me in the tight stuff, and I passed a shed load of riders in there. It was bloody fast, and a blast to be passing riders who I would normally never see because they're so much faster than me.

Did I say it rocked in the tight stuff? Seriously, it was awesomely quick.