Giant Maestro Bearing replacement

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

I need to replace the bearings on my Anthem 29er and was wondering whether I should hunt around for a giant puller kit or use a DIY solution with bolts, sockets etc? How tight are the bearings... can they be tapped out?

As for bearings: are Enduro bearings the way to go or is there a better solution?

Cheers
Chris

hakka

Likes Dirt
The Giant puller is impossible to get. I use the RRP puller from CRC, it can be done with sockets and threaded rod though. Enduro bearings are the go, but there's one bearing on the current bikes that isn't in the kit and needs to be ordered through giant, it's the one where the two triangles meet.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Giant puller is impossible to get. I use the RRP puller from CRC, it can be done with sockets and threaded rod though. Enduro bearings are the go, but there's one bearing on the current bikes that isn't in the kit and needs to be ordered through giant, it's the one where the two triangles meet.
Thanks for that. A bit odd you need to get a single bearing from Giant. Are they readily available?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I think they changed that top bearing type over the years, so yours may have an ordinary style of bearing (easy to get) or a bearing with an integrated lip (get it from Giant).

hakka

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that. A bit odd you need to get a single bearing from Giant. Are they readily available?
Enduro said they were adding that bearing to their range, that was a while back and i haven't checked since. Giant sell them as part of a kit that includes the custom bolts that go through the bearing. You will probablt get away with clean and fresh grease for those bearings, they are the last ones to wear out.

teK--

Eats Squid
You can get the giant bearing press kit from Moruya Cycles. I'm not sure how easy it would be to change the seat stay bearings without the proper shaped dies.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I didnt think the Giant maestro bearing kit was hard to get? My local shop says they can get them in no worries. Cannot remember the quote i got exactly but it was either $150 or $180.

I remember seeing Moruya had them on their website too, ive ordered from them in the passed with good results so give them a try if your local Giant dealer cannot get it in for you.

Travis.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The maestro press kit doesn't necessarily fit every iteration of the maestro rear end...the one I have doesn't! I got mine from Moruya on back order a few years back. I do believe it has been updated though.

The Enduro bearings via DIYMTB are spot-on for the job.

goobags

Likes Dirt
I replaced all my Trance pivot bearings with a 3/8" socket set and a vice. Some enduro bearings some from a local bearing supplier.

Definitely can't tap them out, they made a fair noise when they start to move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Ah not sure Hakka,

I was talking to my lbs only a month or two ago and they said they could get it for me within 2 days if i wanted one and gave me the price.

Im not set on buying one atm but id like to before the end of this year. Next time im in there ill get them to confirm the availability.

Travis.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Ah not sure Hakka,

I was talking to my lbs only a month or two ago and they said they could get it for me within 2 days if i wanted one and gave me the price.

Im not set on buying one atm but id like to before the end of this year. Next time im in there ill get them to confirm the availability.

Travis.
There was an issue with someone at giant giving bad info at the time, they were insisting that the custom bearing wasn't from a giant bike, possibly the same person that told them the press was discontinued. LBS eventually spoke to someone else and got the bearing sorted.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah not sure Hakka,

Travis.
Travis, I'm pretty sure the Maestro puller kit is still available... at least it still is in UK stores

acads

Likes Dirt
I just get all mine replaced, 14' Anthem 27.5. I got my LBS to do it and I must say it actually makes a difference!. A few of mine were pretty creaky but the bike has a fair few km's on it. Ii wasn't cheap that's for sure.

Adam

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
....there's one bearing on the current bikes that isn't in the kit and needs to be ordered through giant, it's the one where the two triangles meet.
To the best of my knowledge that funky specific bearing (easily identifiable by the flange around one side after it's been pushed out) is only found in the 27.5" bikes. 26" & 29" bikes use all standard bearings which can be bought from any bearing shop.