Giant Trance/Trance X

da_foles

Likes Bikes
I took my new 2009 Anthem x2 all over Daisy hill yesterday in Brisbane. And for a xc bike it handled everything that I put it through very well. Climbed like a goat and surprisingly is descended well. Hit a few jumps with alot of speed and was fine. At the end of the day a bike is a bike and will handle most stuff you throw at it. As long as you are not hitting massive drops etc. You should be right with anything.

preemo

Likes Dirt
It's looking like I might have to part with my 2009 Trance X3, which I'm not too happy about. :(

Waiting on trading access, and hoping I don't have to use it.
Hi, did you get your trading access? I've applied months ago, heard nothing, PM's the mod, heard nothing and the need to trade passed. Well recently the need returned and I applied again. It's been 4 or more weeks and no response so I wondered if my application had fallen into a big black hole.....

I have now had my 09 Trance X1 for a month and a half. Can I just say that I love this bike. Just came back from a fairly long ride around Warrandyte trails with a fit-bastard mate of mine. The bike just does everything, climb, descend, take drops etc etc. and all with a level of plushness I could not imagine when I was on my HT.

I am of the "cuddly" dimensions of 183cm, 100kg.

In short, get one if you are wavering.

No buyer's remorse here!! :D

preemo

Likes Dirt
Hi, did you get your trading access? I've applied months ago, heard nothing, PM's the mod, heard nothing and the need to trade passed. Well recently the need returned and I applied again. It's been 4 or more weeks and no response so I wondered if my application had fallen into a big black hole.....
Hooray! Just got my trading access!!!! Thank You gods of Farkin

Alex_Riding

Cannon Fodder
I've just bought myself a 2nd hand but very good condition 2008 Trance 2 and for some reason the 2 seems to be the most unpopular of all the trances? I can't seem to find as much info or upgrade threads about it. I got it nice and cheap so I don't think I made a mistake but was it a poor choice?

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Can someone pls tell me what brand/model of derailleur hanger I should get for spares?

Ta
I don't know, but a friend with an 08 Reign got one for his bike the other week and he said something about how it will fit my XO too. I'll ask him as I want to carry one myself.

The X2 looks like a great bike, that's the black one yeah?

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
08 X2 is black, by far the best looking out of them all. (oh, and I'm selling my frame soon :cool: )
Doesn't get much of a mention as so many people made the jump to X1 or X0 as it wasn't a huge price difference and they had good parts to justify the purchase. X2 was a good place to start though, awesome frame and the parts can be slowly upgraded as you go ;)

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
my 2010 Trance X2

2010 with XT brakes, 5.1's on hope and 150mm Revelations (with negative air sucking down to 140mm). 170mm XT crank- bashy & Sram 9 shifting to follow once i can be bothered to transfer. I'm sure that I'll also be throwing on some 2.2 Rubber Queens- or other Conti tread with Black Chilli (so so grippy).

I'm loving it now the Revelations are in there. Coming from a 140mm Marin Wolf Ridge the 120mm 15mm tru axel Fox was terrible.

Good times!

skybustim

Likes Bikes
2010 with XT brakes, 5.1's on hope and 150mm Revelations (with negative air sucking down to 140mm). 170mm XT crank- bashy & Sram 9 shifting to follow once i can be bothered to transfer. I'm sure that I'll also be throwing on some 2.2 Rubber Queens- or other Conti tread with Black Chilli (so so grippy).

I'm loving it now the Revelations are in there. Coming from a 140mm Marin Wolf Ridge the 120mm 15mm tru axel Fox was terrible.
Might have been quicker to list the parts that haven't been changed out.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
GD has been awesome. Best bit of kit that I've thrown on a bike. After 1.5 yrs (i think) it has the same "tiny" bit of play it has always had. You just don't notice it at all. I've just shipped in a 4" drop (with a 1" drop and then down 4") to replace the original single 3" drop too....which has been awesome.

So yeah- it has been a fit and forget bit of kit.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GD has been awesome.

So yeah- it has been a fit and forget bit of kit.
Thanks. It looks like the classic, is that right?
I have been trying to do some research on all the dropper seatposts, and , at this point in time, it looks like a Kind shock, or a GD. I am torn , as the KS has 5 inches of drop, and a nice lever,or, the GD which, from internet speculation, has a better mechanism, being a spring. :confused:

Its a fair bit of folding to drop on a seatpost, so I am apprehensive about which one to choose.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Yep classic. This was and is my first drop post and the purchase was based on lots of fellow riders experiences here in Christchurch who had ridden them hard for ages.....and they just keep going. Yeah it's a bit fugly- but it has no seals or stanctions to ding.....and it's also simple to service.

I'm not sure about others.....but my next post will be another GD for sure.

I think the GD shipped from the states is like $250.....and they ship fast and always reply to emails ;)

Last edited:

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
I'm possibly in the market for a Trance X but am unsure whether to go for the X3 or save a bit longer and get the X2 instead. The main difference appears to be the addition of lockout on the X2, but some reviews have suggested that the maestro suspension works so well that you dont actually end up needing to lock out as much as on other full sussers. Anyone have any experience here? Bought the X3 and wish you had got the X2 instead?

skybustim

Likes Bikes
I have just got a X2, pick up this weekend, and there are a few more up grades than just the rear shock, have a look at the Giant website for a direct comparison.
Also Giant have put most of their bikes on sale at the moment, so shouldn't pay more than $2400 for the X2, I think the X3 is runnig around $2k.
Need to look at the value difference in the forks drive train and brakes, to see if it is worth the extra $$$, as you say most reviews say they don't use the propedal so look deeper.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 09 X3 and was torn over same decision. Evntually had the decision made for me bt minister of finance.
Am very happy with the X3. Have never had any issues with suspension bob without the lock out, but only weigh 60kg. Could be issue if bigger.

Bigger issue is lower spec components. Top of the list is the shitty Shimano M475 rear hub. Had no end of bearing trouble until upgraded to better wheels.
Everything else is ok, wheels, brakes, shifters, crank and gearing. They are low spec but reliable.

I have smashed mine for 18 months and only upgrade has been Xt crank and some Hope Hoops. Has handled everything I have thrown at it, without missing a beat.