Giant Trance/Trance X

chippamania

Likes Dirt
I'm 183cm and 80kg and the Med (18") works very well. I was cautious at the beginning because I was previously on a Large ATX860, but am very happy with how it sized up.

univer

Likes Bikes
Hey all

I thinking of getting a Trance or a Specialized Epic.

Can anyone comment on what the "bob" if any is like. I weigh 95kg 186cm tall and have ridden a hardtail to date and looking at making the transitition to a duallie. The Trance on paper and from the comments in this thread seems the goods.

Cheers

chippamania

Likes Dirt
Hey all

Can anyone comment on what the "bob" if any is like. I weigh 95kg 186cm tall and have ridden a hardtail to date and looking at making the transitition to a duallie. The Trance on paper and from the comments in this thread seems the goods.

Cheers
Mate I can't vouch for the Epic, but I can with a Trance X. With a simply flick to "+" on the Fox RP2 rear shock, pedal bob becomes near non-existent. I climbed a steep trail in Cairns last week with the shock on this setting and I couldn't feel any significant bob. Obviously standing up out of the saddle and pedaling will create some bob, but the Giant-designed Maestro rear suspension system together with a Pro-Pedal enabled Fox rear shock do a good job of making it minimal.

Hope that helps!

Steepy

Likes Dirt
The Maestro system on the Giants is meant to be really good at limiting pedal bob and brake jack but of course if you mash away on the pedals you're bound to get a bit of bob, my mate recently got a Reign 1 which is wicked and I want one but I don't want to look like a strapper as we always ride together so the Trance X1 looks pretty appealing. It's got better components, XT Shadow rear derailleur and Juicy 5's and the silver on the Trance looks better than poo brown on the Reign! The only sucky thing is that all the bike shops in Canberra have a five week :eek: (at least!) waiting list because it's been so popular! Is this a nationwide problem or are they just extra popular over here?

Another good buy in this price range is the Norco Fluid 2 (see thumbnail) the rear suspension is licensed from Specialized so is the same as on their bikes has adjustable travel between 4.5 and 5.7 inches and comes with a RP23 on the rear instead of the RP2 which the Giant has. The only thing I'm not sure about is the Rock Shox Revolution 409 that the Norco has on the front, has anybody got an opinion of them? because I can't find any info on the net about them!

Attachments

chippamania

Likes Dirt
Is this a nationwide problem or are they just extra popular over here?
The boys at my LBS told me today that they wouldn't be receiving any more 2008 model Reigns/Trances/Trance Xs/Anthems that would actually hit the show room floor. Everything they have coming in over the next 10 months has been pre-sold. As suggested to me today, this is probably a combination of both having a well-designed and value-for-money bike and a handy bit of publicity in the form of some top reviews in AMB and MTBA mags.

Word of mouth amongst the people no doubt helped too...

Steepy

Likes Dirt
handy bit of publicity in the form of some top reviews in AMB and MTBA mags.

Word of mouth amongst the people no doubt helped too...
Yeah I noticed today that Mountain Bike Action had a review of the XO this month too! Haven't read it yet but it probably means we'll have a worldwide shortage soon! :(

sean_23

Likes Bikes
Hey all

Can anyone comment on what the "bob" if any is like. I weigh 95kg 186cm tall and have ridden a hardtail to date and looking at making the transitition to a duallie.

Cheers
I went from hardtail to Trance 0, bob ain't a problem. The suspension does move a little when pedaling but it's not something you notice at all. I don't even bother with platform unless I'm riding on the road for a fair distance... what anyone does with 3 different settings of platform on the RP23 I have no idea.

It's quite a change from a hardtail, you can go faster and be in control all the time, rather than being on the edge of certain death, and occasionally on your arse. The bike just seems to stick to the ground much better.

univer

Likes Bikes
thanks for the comments....sounds like i wont be able to get one based on the few comments above interms of popularity and shortage

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
The boys at my LBS told me today that they wouldn't be receiving any more 2008 model Reigns/Trances/Trance Xs/Anthems that would actually hit the show room floor. Everything they have coming in over the next 10 months has been pre-sold.
Was told that Giant are in the habit of doing Mid year releases ... Trance/Reign X were apparently mid year releases that were very popular so stuck ... a benefit of owning production capacity I guess.

Caeneus

Squid
I'm riding a borrowed 07 specialized epic expert at the moment. It is my first experience with a dualie but set to hardtail firm I hardly notice any bob. I'm keen to take it out on the weekend and really put it through it's paces so I can compare it to the maestro suspension on the Trance.

Steepy

Likes Dirt
thanks for the comments....sounds like i wont be able to get one based on the few comments above interms of popularity and shortage
Keep your eye on ebay, I saw an X1 just the other day that was only three months old, the guy put a starting price of $2200 on there and I don't think he got one bid which is kinda strange because it was in as new condition but he lived in Outback NSW somewhere and it was pick up only so I guess it was a bit too far for anyone to drive out!

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Hey guys I'm tossing up between the Trance X2 and the X1, do you think it's worth the other $500 for the better forks / shock / running gear? I'm not going to be doing anything too serious at the moment (just garden variety riding around Red Hill / Oxford falls in Sydney and probably some XC stuff etc.)

Pretty much I'm leaning toward the logic of save the $500 now and in a year or two when stuff is wearing out upgrade a bit more seriously.

Thoughts??

Nmag

Likes Dirt
My opinion:

Cheaper to buy the whole package one off.

Considering how much you get in a Giant package, doing upgrades of single items costs wayyyyyy toooooooooo much.

PS: I have a "Giant package".

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheaper to buy the whole package one off.

Considering how much you get in a Giant package, doing upgrades of single items costs wayyyyyy toooooooooo much.
There is a couple of problems with that. Firstly, chrisp is referring to replacing the parts when they wear out. So regardless of which model is bought, the parts are going to wear out and need replacing. Secondly, if you shop around online, the price you'll end up paying to upgrade isn't *too* silly.

All of that said though, the X1 has a lot of upgrades over the X2 (with one exception - who thought Evolve cranks were an upgrade over LX?). Heaps of little things like stronger wheels with better quality hubs, fork lockout, avid brakes, and up speced drivechain add up. I'd be highly tempted to spend the extra, but then again I know I love riding and spend way too much money on bikes. How much is the X2 going to cost you? If you're feeling uncertain about the extra outlay it may be better to save your cash.

To give you an idea about what you'll actually get, the real world differences will be:
Lower weight. I'd say 300-600gr lighter. Makes going up hills and lifting onto the roof racks easier.
Lockout. Stops bob when climbing.
Stronger wheels. Less likely to need maintenance, especially if you do rougher or muddy riding.

I doubt you're likely to notice much difference from anything else.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
I wear out (roughly):

6 monthly:
Lube, lube rags, pads, tires, gloves

In 12 months:
Jockey wheels, chains, grips, cassets, cables, granny, middle

If my TranceX0 (if the freaking thing ever shows up) needs a new shock or wheel-set within the first year or 2 I'll be pissed.

I don't think that will happen as that shit won't wear out (if it is serviced/inspected per spec).

Last edited:

lilau3

Squid
I think they are both good packages for the price. If you think you will be upgrading as apposed to replacing go for the best you can afford and save money in the long run. I can't imagine forks etc wearing out. Lock out on the shocks is pretty damn useful, that was the decider for me.

Went into my LBS (lygon cycles) and mentioned the possible shortage of these bikes and they said they have stocks of most of the trance models available? Might be worth a try for Victorians.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely worth buying an X1 over X2.
Main upgrades being suspension, but also Juicy brakes are far better than Deore. Sure, Shimano's lever feels great (have been a fan since the old 4 pot XT) and they do the job well, but firstly the pads aren't as common as Avid's so you have less choice and less availability, and also because the stock rotors are a cheaper, softer steel that you can only use resin pads on. This means you're stuck with only one pad type and less aftermarket options. Mightn't be a big issue to most but was reason enough for me to upgrade - sintered metal is almost a must in abrasive conditions.
Also the Deore hubs aren't bad but who wants to maintain open ball hubs these days?
The LX drivetrain is great, the new shifters are a winner and the crank system is superior.
Really though, when you have not-so-good brakes (for pad reasons alone) and pretty cruddy wheels it's well worth making the upgrade.

One thing the X2 is a clear winner in is aesthetics. I bought one over the weekend and pitched for the black on black finish as it's beautiful, probably the best looking finish I've seen on any bike. The other issues such as shocks, brakes and wheels are irrelevant as it's all getting stripped and completely rebuilt with my own bits. Unless you have enough parts to upgrade the weak areas I'd go for the X1 over the X2, a small amount saved now will mean a lot more spent down the track.

Keep an eye out for my X2 pics coming soon.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One thing the X2 is a clear winner in is aesthetics. I bought one over the weekend and pitched for the black on black finish as it's beautiful, probably the best looking finish I've seen on any bike.
Really? How many bikes have you seen? To me the trance looks gawky and awkward, and the black on black finish... can you say boring? To be fair it's not as bad as half the colours Giant comes up with, but neither is it anything special.

lilau3

Squid
Really? How many bikes have you seen? To me the trance looks gawky and awkward, and the black on black finish... can you say boring? To be fair it's not as bad as half the colours Giant comes up with, but neither is it anything special.
Of course I will disagree with that because I have bought one, but the finish is awesome, much better in the flesh than in photo's, and a better option imo than hi gloss paint that looks nice at the start and then cack after the first couple of months. I really like the grey of my X1 but I think the black looks good too, not boring, classy, not all of us like bright orange with fluro green graphics.