Giant US 2015 Trail & XC

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Only two models of 29er anthem again, which seem exactly the same spec as last year. Lucky I bought JDs pivot so don't need to worry about it!

Seems like they very well may be phasing out 29ers after all. Surprised the trance is gone seeing as it was several years newer design than the anthem..

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting rid of the 29" hardtails is a huge mistake imo.

650b in short travel bikes is not what the XC crowd want

DJR

Likes Dirt
Colour schemes may well be different for OZ - the green/black of some of the trance advanced does not look good, the black/black stealth of the 2014 frames was lots better.

There is always plastidip anyway like i did for my silver/blue trance.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Only two models of 29er anthem again, which seem exactly the same spec as last year. Lucky I bought JDs pivot so don't need to worry about it!

Seems like they very well may be phasing out 29ers after all. Surprised the trance is gone seeing as it was several years newer design than the anthem..
Yeah, anthems look the same apart from kashima fork & shock on top model.
Looks like I will go elsewhere for new 29 hardtail

DJR

Likes Dirt
giant's current OD is standard 1.125" to 1.5" tapered, whereas OD2 is 1.25" to 1.5".
Ahh yes i forgot OD and OD2 are different. If they're finally going back to normal OD that's good (although I won't be able to pick up a cheap OD2 pike RC dual position air from a 2015 bike !)

akashra

Eats Squid
Stoked to see the Anthem Advanced 1 isn't black on black this year, so ready to put down cash for one as soon as possible. Though I love the colour scheme on the SXs too, but not a fan of the spec or price on the SX Advanced.

This is usually the case. Oh how I wish the Anthem Advanced SX 27.5 had nicer colours...
Really? I reckon it looks fantastic. But I want XT.

When are manufacturers going to realise we want the choice of frame colour and groupset. ie, take one from column A, one from column B. This whole "if you want XT you have to have it in puke brown" thing is just irritating.

Last edited:

wavike

Likes Dirt
Stoked to see the Anthem Advanced 1 isn't black on black this year, so ready to put down cash for one as soon as possible. Though I love the colour scheme on the SXs too, but not a fan of the spec or price on the SX Advanced.

Really? I reckon it looks fantastic. But I want XT.

When are manufacturers going to realise we want the choice of frame colour and groupset. ie, take one from column A, one from column B. This whole "if you want XT you have to have it in puke brown" thing is just irritating.
Most distributors can't even bring in the full/decent range of a make, so getting a choice of colour / build on the mass produced forget it. ie Norco sight 7.2 $4k plus low end build carbon or $6k+ 7.1 with the popular, but not for everyone X01. Didn't bring in the 7.15. Although the 15 models might see some change.
Even Specialized don't bring in some models - give the customer what they want - fuck that, the pesky bastards can buy what we want to sell them.

Last edited:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting to see that this year's xtc advanced 29 is last year's lower spec composite and you can't get a mid - spec SL model.. Another bad move imo..

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
The Reign 2 looks like a good spec and value with a Pike and SLX. Similar to the Trance 2, just upgrade the deodore brakes. Would love one just not sure what their climbing ability would be like. Have some steepish climbs on our local trails before heading down again.

beno

Cycle Solutions
No trance SX is aus from what I have been told too... very annoying. Ticks all the boxes
If that painted one a decent colour they would have sold better in the first place, and wouldn't b so gun shy to import more. Hopefully there is still an sx advanced in the pipeline though they sold out pretty quick

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
The Reign 2 looks like a good spec and value with a Pike and SLX. Similar to the Trance 2, just upgrade the deodore brakes. Would love one just not sure what their climbing ability would be like. Have some steepish climbs on our local trails before heading down again.
After riding the Trance SX for a season, If you do lots of steep uphill climbing it is hard to keep the front end down sometimes. But you can't really expect these class of bikes to be excellent climbers, it's not why you buy them!

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
nah, havent shelved it.
goto the technologies tab of each bike, they say OD2.

eg, http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/xtc.advanced.sl.27.5.0/18758/76192/#technologies
No. You're reading it wrong. That's a generic od2/od page. Read the whole page and you'll see od is also on it.
Then read the specs for all the 2015 bikes. They all say OD not od2.
I'm curious that od2 claims 30% torsional stiffness increase over od. So have they gone backwards 30% or is their marketing just bs?