Giant XTC Carbon 2012- 29er

cooken

Likes Dirt
I've been informed that the 2013 model will be an XTC advanced Sl model, rather than the composite the current model uses.
I hope this happens, because I'm depending on it
I've also heard there'll be an XTC advanced in 2013 (not sure if it would be an SL model) - very keenly awaiting to learn what the specs and prices will be.

As for Giant warranties - I cracked by anthem frame last Sunday, in the shop on Monday, Giant got me a new frame by Friday.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've also heard there'll be an XTC advanced in 2013 (not sure if it would be an SL model) - very keenly awaiting to learn what the specs and prices will be.

As for Giant warranties - I cracked by anthem frame last Sunday, in the shop on Monday, Giant got me a new frame by Friday.

will the higher level carbon be a smoother ride. apparently the current model is pretty rough/harsh

hamishf

Squid
Giant's saying mid-August for its local launch of new everything. I'm tempted by one of these at the moment as I'm sure prices will be coming down more as bigger shops try to get rid of the 2012 models

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 2012 one came with plenty of spacers under the stem and a +8deg rise stem. Swap the spacers to ontop of the stem and flip the stem, there is your lower front end. The headtube length and fork length are the same for 2012 and 2013.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The 2012 one came with plenty of spacers under the stem and a +8deg rise stem. Swap the spacers to ontop of the stem and flip the stem, there is your lower front end. The headtube length and fork length are the same for 2012 and 2013.
If I wanted to remove some spacers, would I need to trim the steerer? As I removed a couple and put one on top and the top cap seems to bottom out on the steerer.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You need to put the same amount of spacers back unless you want to cut the steerer and probably replace the star nut. So if you had 2 under the stem before, you have 3 options:

1. Two spacers under the stem with the top cap over the stem
2. One below and one above with the top cap over the top spacer
3. Two spacers above the stem with the top cap over the top spacer

Then if you have an angled stem you can flip it to get even more positioning options.

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
i have a question.

How does thid bike handle over rough rocky trails. (I.E the douglas/dam trails in townsville.)

my 26er carbon hardtail rattles like crazy. would an upgrade to one of these or in my case a slight downgrade in some areas of the bikes parts be better for rough stuff?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
You need to put the same amount of spacers back unless you want to cut the steerer and probably replace the star nut. So if you had 2 under the stem before, you have 3 options:

1. Two spacers under the stem with the top cap over the stem
2. One below and one above with the top cap over the top spacer
3. Two spacers above the stem with the top cap over the top spacer

Then if you have an angled stem you can flip it to get even more positioning options.
Would I really need a new star nut if I cut the steerer? Can't I push the existing one down a little?
I have flipped the stem and it looks a lot better. I have also moved 2 out of 3 spacers to above the stem. I'll try it out tomorrow. If I like it, I'll look at trimming the steerer as I don't like that much sitting above the stem. It looks like a great way to loose your teeth. And I use my teeth all the time.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends how deep the star nut is in the steerer tube, if is at least 10mm below your proposed cut line, should be ok. But usually they are only 15mm deep stock, so you may need to cut the steerer and then install a new one 15mm deep.

I run 25mm of spacers above the stem to keep my fork steerer at 200mm for possible future sale. It's fine....

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Depends how deep the star nut is in the steerer tube, if is at least 10mm below your proposed cut line, should be ok. But usually they are only 15mm deep stock, so you may need to cut the steerer and then install a new one 15mm deep.

I run 25mm of spacers above the stem to keep my fork steerer at 200mm for possible future sale. It's fine....
Can't I knock it down a little? Or are they single use only?

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Need new dérailleur

Anyone out there know if it is a long or medium cage rear dérailleur on this bike?
SRAM x0, 2 x 10 standard set up.
Mine exploded 15 km from the end of the kona odyssey, it was a long run in!

Just want to replace it with the same & cant find anywhere that says the cage size/length

Thanks