Giant XTC Carbon 2012- 29er

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
It would depend on how the derailliuer limits are setup, still haven't seen anything that actually admits to this being and issue, but have had problems with it myself, and seen plenty of others with the same.

This is obviously not specfic to the xtc29 either, Got any links to something from a manufacturer talking about it?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
You're right, it's not an XTC a or Giant problem. You won't be seeing anyting from the manufacturers saying "we have a problem with the design of our gear". But, they are talking about it, and many will already know new gear is on the way for 2013, that is designed to tackle these issues. I hope it works.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
I cant for the life of me understand how this could be attributed to the fact its 2x instead of 3x. Particularly as you report its both manufacturers??
As someone said above - it should be just the derailluer limits. Whether the front deraillier is shifting across 3 or 2 front rings should be irrelevant

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I never said it was both manufacturs. Read back through this thread, as I just did, and you'll find others who are having problems. I don't think it's a set up issue, I think it's design.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
OK, was going off your choice to prefer XT 3x10 to mean you were suggesting Shimano also. And then later mentioning the XTR clutch on the rear derailluer solving the issues and SRAM doing the same.

I dont deny some people have been reporting in here with shifting issues on their chainrings, I just dont see how it can be a 2x10 problem.

Some specific parts (FD, shifters, rings) maybe. But 2x10 in general I dont see it

adaib

Likes Dirt
Just guessing...

A bigger difference in the size of chainrings? The jump between a 39T & a 26T is bigger than a 44T & a 36T

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
I am running 2x10 38/24 front chain ring and had no issues....my bike aint a Giant.
Most people having these issues seem to be on HT, when I first got on a HT 29 with 2x10 X0 I had a lot of issues, took it back to the LBS at least 3 times to adjust the front derailliuer, and still had some issues, but getting the limits setup exactly spot on did help

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Nah mate, hills in tassie are too big!
Surely you can climb those hills with a 42 and nothing else? :)
I see you have done quite well in the races down there, you're smashing it!! Just don't twist your ankle doing that running cross training :)

adaib

Likes Dirt
Surely you can climb those hills with a 42 and nothing else? :)
I see you have done quite well in the races down there, you're smashing it!! Just don't twist your ankle doing that running cross training :)
Haha, sorry to fail your expectations.
I've done all right in the races yes, not much happening over winter, good excuse to go into hardcore base phase for Nat. Champs.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The XTC compisite has been out for about a year now. How is the durability of the frame? Has anyone broken one? They seem like a really solid platform. I know any bike can break, and I've seen plenty of broken Specs, Scotts and Cannondales. I have seen one broken top tube on an alloy XTC 29er (Quickly replaced by Giant under warranty)10 hours into a 12 hour enduro.
I think the XTC compisite looks like a durable frame compared to many of the ultra light carbon frames around, which, along with the lifetime warranty, give me the confidence to buy one. Who else gives a lifetime warranty on thier frames?

gpmtb

Likes Bikes
Hauling the XTC Composite 29

Can anyone shed any light on whether the GIANT Giant XTC Composite 29 down tube fits in a Thule 591 roof bike carrier i.e. can you carry this bike in the 591 bike carrier OK....Seen plenty of both items going around but haven't managed to figure out if the actual combination of both works! ....gee the things that need to be considered....

varge

Squid
Can anyone shed any light on whether the GIANT Giant XTC Composite 29 down tube fits in a Thule 591 roof bike carrier i.e. can you carry this bike in the 591 bike carrier OK....Seen plenty of both items going around but haven't managed to figure out if the actual combination of both works! ....gee the things that need to be considered....
I haven't had a problem with the combination, either, driving from Melbourne to the Highland Fling or twisty gravel roads.

The best place for clamping though is down low towards the bottom bracket

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1, keen to see the 2013. Been trawling the net, but found nothing yet.....
I've been informed that the 2013 model will be an XTC advanced Sl model, rather than the composite the current model uses.
I hope this happens, because I'm depending on it

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The XTC compisite has been out for about a year now. How is the durability of the frame? Has anyone broken one? They seem like a really solid platform. I know any bike can break, and I've seen plenty of broken Specs, Scotts and Cannondales. I have seen one broken top tube on an alloy XTC 29er (Quickly replaced by Giant under warranty)10 hours into a 12 hour enduro.
I think the XTC compisite looks like a durable frame compared to many of the ultra light carbon frames around, which, along with the lifetime warranty, give me the confidence to buy one. Who else gives a lifetime warranty on thier frames?
this is the beauty of going with a brand like Giant - I have had warranty claims on the bling brands that have taken 3 months and much agro for me to get anything out of them, where with Giant ... well ride it hard for a few years, and if it breaks oh nooooo now I have to put all of my old components on a brand new 2014 composite frame :). so you can really buy composite worry free with that warranty and if it breaks, so be it.