Giant XTC composite frame size??

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Just wondering from people who have a 12/13 Giant XTC composite 29er hardtail, how tall are you and what size frame did you get? Looking at getting one of these and wondering if a Large is big enough for me @185cm??

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
They are pretty generous in size. I'm 175cm and ride a medium. My mate is 180 and also rides a medium with a fair bit of post out. He used to ride a large 26 inch anthem before that.
I think you would be ok on a large.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Just wondering from people who have a 12/13 Giant XTC composite 29er hardtail, how tall are you and what size frame did you get? Looking at getting one of these and wondering if a Large is big enough for me @185cm??
I think you be ok on a large. I am 188 and ride an XL 13 Giant XTC composite and some days wonder if i should have gone the L.
I think by the Giant size chart L would be your size.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
L for sure, Giant's size on the big side (hence their name :flypig: ). I sell Giants, there's no way you would be any other size really.. you're smack bang in the middle of a large basically.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
188cm. Ridden both L an XL XTC Composites. I could ride either but would lean to the XL but for you the L would be perfect.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Have any of you guys been able to successfully convert the Giant wheels (Rims Giant P-XC2 29 dw w/eyelets 32H dis) on the composite 29er 1 to tubeless?

Guy at the bike shop said it can be done but the rim isn't the best for it. Said the Rim on the next model up 29er (Advanced SL 1) is tubeless ready.

Would prob cost me about $800 to upgrade to a better wheel set like the one's on the next model up Giant, or a set of american classics etc.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Have any of you guys been able to successfully convert the Giant wheels (Rims Giant P-XC2 29 dw w/eyelets 32H dis) on the composite 29er 1 to tubeless?

Guy at the bike shop said it can be done but the rim isn't the best for it. Said the Rim on the next model up 29er (Advanced SL 1) is tubeless ready.

Would prob cost me about $800 to upgrade to a better wheel set like the one's on the next model up Giant, or a set of american classics etc.
Tried and I would call it a fail. I had less than reliable results.
I also have the advanced 1 with Giants pxcr1 wheel set which is a lot better. It comes with dt Swiss rim strips which worked ok for me the first time, but due to their design are no good long term.
So I would use the term tubeless ready quite loosely. They are now holding air and tyres well using Gorilla tape. $5 at Masters home improvements.
You should be able to get some Hope Hoops or Stan's wheels for around $400.

ClintC

Likes Dirt

I have converted a set of those wheels to tubeless that have done well but on a rider who doesn't really ride that hard.

Stans/Hope2 combo is the best bang for back going around and can get had for around $400 online if you want to lose 3-400g from your wheels at the same time.

varge

Squid

Using Stans tape, Racing Ralphs work well. Ikons not so much. I gave up trying to run tubeless with the Ikons so I use them with Foss tubes. I have had no problems with the combo except that I have to run a slightly higher pressure. 29psi for 70kg and 174cm.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Is chainreaction one of the better places to look for a cheap wheelset? Not sure whether to go the xtc composite 1 now or the advanced 1. Would a set of hope wheels be better/lighter than the wheelset that come on the advanced? Im 88kg and have found in the past on my dually that I need a rim that grips the bead of the tyre well, or I have to run a bit more pressure than I would like otherwise I seem to pop tyres off a bit. Prob wont be using the 29er hard tail quite as hard though I guess.

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Wiggle may be your best bet for lightish wheels. They do hope hubs laced to Stan's rims for under $400. Weight wise, the wheels on the xtc advanced sl1 are quoted at 1750 grams, the hope/Stan's crest from Wiggle are around the 1670 gram mark, not a massive difference. The Stan's rims may need more attention with trueing but are perfect for tubeless. The giant xtc advanced sl1 wheels are said to be built on dt Swiss hubs and are relatively bomb proof.

On another note however, the advanced sl frame is significantly lighter than the composite if your aim is to go as light as possible

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Wiggle may be your best bet for lightish wheels. They do hope hubs laced to Stan's rims for under $400. Weight wise, the wheels on the xtc advanced sl1 are quoted at 1750 grams, the hope/Stan's crest from Wiggle are around the 1670 gram mark, not a massive difference. The Stan's rims may need more attention with trueing but are perfect for tubeless. The giant xtc advanced sl1 wheels are said to be built on dt Swiss hubs and are relatively bomb proof.

On another note however, the advanced sl frame is significantly lighter than the composite if your aim is to go as light as possible
hmm ok thanks for the info. Don't suppose anyone knows how the 2 bikes compare weight wise? Guessing there is prob a thread already about it somewhere... Weight is important to me, which is one of the reasons why im going a hardtail and i want to try something different, but i think anything will be a big improvement on my 05 model specialized dually. xtc composite 1 + wheels looking about 2700, xtc advanced shouldnt need wheels and can get one for 3k, so only 300 bucks more in the end to go the advanced, might be worth it.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
For 300 more its get the advanced SL. Is that an Advanced SL 1 with full XT? If so the XT brakes make it worth the extra IMO.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
For 300 more its get the advanced SL. Is that an Advanced SL 1 with full XT? If so the XT brakes make it worth the extra IMO.
Its the 2013 advanced SL 1 im looking at, has SRAM components which im not familiar with.

Shifters SRAM X9 trigger shifter 20sp
Front Derailleur SRAM X9 10sp, Direct Mount
Rear Derailleur SRAM XO 10sp
Brakes Avid Elixir 7 hydraulic, 6 bolt [F] 160mm [R] 140mm rotors
Brake Levers Avid Elixir 7
Cassette SRAM PG-1070 10sp 11x36T
Chain KMC X-10
Crankset SRAM S-1400 26x39T
Bottom BRacket SRAM GXP Press Fit
Rims MY13 Giant P-XCR 1 29 Wheelsystem 28H Disc

spiderpig

Likes Dirt