Giant XTC SL, Why 27.5?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Few years ago Giant released their top of the line race bike. 29 inch SL 0 race bike. Low 9kg weight and awesome spec.

They have since dropped the SL 29er and instead only specced it with the 27.5 inch series.

Why?

Looking for a new bike and the SL series had caught my eye but I am not going back to a 26inch, oops I mean a 27.5

Trek's new Pro Calibre Isolink also looks good but they have specced it with the new wheel spacing, I don't want a new wheel size, Turning into a joke. I mean really who has issues with too much axle flex?

Boxer

Likes Dirt
You are singing my tune dusty

This is geting beyond a joke and suspect is marketing to sell new models every year (latest and greatest)

I too agree with XC HT now being sold as 27.5" I dont get it. I think some brands get it right in offering XS and S frames as 27'5" and then 29er for the M size and up. 29er's were hailed as the soltuion for XC Hardtails, now all of a sudden smaller is better. I've ridden both and for me 29er is for XC all the way. for a fun trail bike and into AM etc then 27.5" I get it.

Boost, 142+, 27.5+ etc etc gimme a break

(ps not so much axle flex, but "supposed" wheel flex from the longer spokes on a narrow mounting plane - hence wider hubs for added stiffness....but really?? )

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Because... Giant

For an off the shelf 29 I'd look at a Norco revolver or for more dough the yeti or Niner Air9

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Also look at Focus....

I wish Ghost and Canyon were available in Aus... The new Ghost Lecter looks the goods

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Also look at Focus....
Yep...2016 Focus Raven 29er in five carbon flavours including a fully rigid version. Well priced too from memory - around $2.8K for the XT/Fox/DT Swiss specced Raven Max Pro I think. But it is fully through axled using the DT Swiss made RAT system (though this is backwards compatible with other thru-axles...even though I can't think why since the RAT system is sensational).

Canyon will be here next year...

Giant have stayed with 29er in the XC marathon dually (Anthem) but clearly decided (for better or worse) that their XC Race hardtails were better off being a 27.5.

John U

MTB Precision
Few years ago Giant released their top of the line race bike. 29 inch SL 0 race bike. Low 9kg weight and awesome spec.

They have since dropped the SL 29er and instead only specced it with the 27.5 inch series.

Why?

Looking for a new bike and the SL series had caught my eye but I am not going back to a 26inch, oops I mean a 27.5

Trek's new Pro Calibre Isolink also looks good but they have specced it with the new wheel spacing, I don't want a new wheel size, Turning into a joke. I mean really who has issues with too much axle flex?
Mtbers keep swallowing it. Major bike manufacturers keep dishing it out. That's the nub of it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You are singing my tune dusty

This is geting beyond a joke and suspect is marketing to sell new models every year (latest and greatest)
(ps not so much axle flex, but "supposed" wheel flex from the longer spokes on a narrow mounting plane - hence wider hubs for added stiffness....but really?? )
Yeah, join the cool aid group. I don't understand why mountain bikers go on about really stiff wheels when they run their tyres like soft jelly. If you corner really hard there is that much flex in a side wall of a tyre that is inflated to about 25psi it sort of counter acts the deal. Most average wheels are pretty stiff radially so acceleration would matter there but other than that it doesn't make much sense to me.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From an XC racing perspective, it's been interesting watching Giant's slow demise over the past few years.
You used to turn up to a race and every second person had a Giant.

With the move to 27.5, the drop off in Giant bikes at races has been quite dramatic. Don't get me wrong, there are still bucket loads of them, but not a lot are current (27.5) models.
They must be selling somewhere to keep persisting though.

I think Trek will be the one to slide into their place, which is boosted by the successes of Bec & Dan at the elite level and actually offering bikes this crowd wants to ride.
Having said that, the mix seems to be spreading wider, which is a great thing.

If I was looking to buy now, the Norco or a Rocky Mountain would top my wishlist.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
At this stage my favorite is the 2014 Giant XTC SL 0 29er.

Still the odd one around, Mint bike, can't really fault it

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Forget the Giant.... so yesterday....

With so many nice 29er hardtails from brands who WANT to make 29ers right, why waste your time?

bfeea9632ff2f4700e777cde4e7d8be4.jpg

focus_light_gross_fo16_raven_max_team_01_3847efa31_1792f077e6.jpg

2016-Ghost-Lector-world-cup-hardtail-mountain-bike-01.jpg

Norco-Revolver-9-SL-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

air9rdo15.jpg

Boxer

Likes Dirt
^ Man there are some good looking 29r HT's around now. My Highball is looking so yesterday in that company. Focus Raven gotta be a big contender

Little bit on an RS-1 theme going on too........pity that makes another unique wheel option mandatory :(

Ackland

chats d'élevage
^ Man there are some good looking 29r HT's around now. My Highball is looking so yesterday in that company. Focus Raven gotta be a big contender

Little bit on an RS-1 theme going on too........pity that makes another unique wheel option mandatory :(
Don't worry... They all look equally good with regular forks

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Yeah, join the cool aid group. I don't understand why mountain bikers go on about really stiff wheels when they run their tyres like soft jelly. If you corner really hard there is that much flex in a side wall of a tyre that is inflated to about 25psi it sort of counter acts the deal. Most average wheels are pretty stiff radially so acceleration would matter there but other than that it doesn't make much sense to me.
Thats why I run wide rims, takes a lot of side wall flex out, can corner hard and have great traction.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thats why I run wide rims, takes a lot of side wall flex out, can corner hard and have great traction.
A 35mm rim would help the cause, most xc style rims are very thin with weak side wall tyres.