Girls rides in Sydney?

shells

Squid
Hi girls,

I've just started getting into mountain biking in the last year or so and am loving it. I've been around manly dam a couple of times but I've lost my riding buddy since then and hitting the trail on my own isn't as appealing.

Wondering if there are any groups that go riding on a somewhat regular basis that might be tolerant of a learner joining in? Or even any suggestions of other places to go riding around Sydney?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Hi shells! Great to hear you're getting into the sport! I'm not sure about girls riding groups, but for other big places to ride near the Manly area are Oxford Falls and Red Hill. These places are well reknown among the Sydney MTB community and are a lot of fun!

shells

Squid
Thanks Techno!

I found a group that seems to have a beginners ride once a month at Loftus, so I might give that a bit of a go too. Can't wait!

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Thanks Techno!

I found a group that seems to have a beginners ride once a month at Loftus, so I might give that a bit of a go too. Can't wait!
I'll let my partner karyn know...she is looking for others and is new to the sport...

she will be keen...

shells

Squid
I'll let my partner karyn know...she is looking for others and is new to the sport...

she will be keen...
Cool it'd be great to meet her - I'm really keen to find some other newbies to ride with too :) I found the beginner's ride details on the Metro MTB Club website. Apparently I can't post links on the forum yet but if you want me to PM or email you the details let me know.

she will be keen...
Hi Shells, Karyn here, Shrekmeisters partner. Wow! I remembered my logon.

Thought I'd speak for myself. Yep, really keen to get onto the track with some other newbies. I've been riding for a year but ain't improving a great deal. Lost my mojo after an big over the hadlebars stack. Yes... I know, it will happen again but still freaks me out. Although, still trying & falling off a heap.

My fitness is OK an am willing to give most things a try & I'm really bad on downhills (my brakes are already wearing out). However, I do know the loftus area and it would be really nice to hit the trails with someone that might go a similar speed to me or at least a little slower than shrek. I'm a bit worried that you ride the dam, hear that's pretty hard.

I'll find out how to do a private message & send you my details.

Last edited:

shells

Squid
Perfect opportunity: Manly Warringah Club Chix Only ride this Saturday at Belrose! See Club Calendar for more info.
That looks good too! I think its probably a bit beyond my level of fitness just now though (it mentions lots of hills!). Hopefully I'll be up for the next one :)

My fitness is OK an am willing to give most things a try & I'm really bad on downhills (my brakes are already wearing out). However, I do know the loftus area and it would be really nice to hit the trails with someone that might go a similar speed to me or at least a little slower than shrek. I'm a bit worried that you ride the dam, hear that's pretty hard.
Cool :) I'll send you my details. Don't worry, I don't really "ride the dam" - I just went round it a couple of times with someone who was much better than me but kind enough to wait for me to catch up often and warn me when I should go around or walk bits :)

Looking forward to Saturday!

Last edited:

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I've been riding for a year but ain't improving a great deal. Lost my mojo after an big over the hadlebars stack. Yes... I know, it will happen again but still freaks me out. Although, still trying & falling off a heap.
Not necessarily. I rarely fall off and have only had two "over the bars" incidents in 14 years of riding - one bad and one with all the armour on. Some would say I am not trying hard enough, but I can jump doubles, drop about 3 feet and ride with cleats in. I have even downhill raced (well...more like downhill participated)

What I am trying to say is that you don't need to expect to fall off - it is not like surfing where you can expect to get dumped. You can go along time without falling off at all (even little mini stacks).

Work on track standing - this will improve your balance no end and will reduce the incidence of stacking. It will teach you the skills to stay (paradoxically) loose and firm all at the same time

:) Have fun!

steff1

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,
I'd love to join in too if possible!

I'm a beginner too (been riding for about 6 months). My fitness and ability are questionable :)

In terms of places to ride, I also like Terry Hills - it's fire trail, and is a fair bit easier than the dam.

I know these two aren't in Sydney, but Wingello and Sparrow Hill are really fantastic too.

steff

shells

Squid
What I am trying to say is that you don't need to expect to fall off - it is not like surfing where you can expect to get dumped. You can go along time without falling off at all (even little mini stacks).
Thanks Cypher, that's very reassuring! I've fallen off a couple of times, but I'm hoping to avoid major injury at least ;)

Hi guys,
I'd love to join in too if possible!

I'm a beginner too (been riding for about 6 months). My fitness and ability are questionable :)
It'd be great if you can come along! I'll PM you my contact details. I've hardly been on my bike for the last 6 months, so I'm sure your fitness and ability will be more than fine :D

chica

Likes Dirt
i'd be keen to join you girls for these rides

as well. i've been riding for a few years, had a significant amount of stacks but always seem to get back on the bike although the confidence always takes a dive after each crash. i usually go riding with my boyfriend and a bunch of other guys but would like to join some girl rides.
I am familiar with the riding at Loftus, Appin, Menai, Ourimbah, Canberra etc so would be happy to show others around.:)

shells

Squid
as well. i've been riding for a few years, had a significant amount of stacks but always seem to get back on the bike although the confidence always takes a dive after each crash. i usually go riding with my boyfriend and a bunch of other guys but would like to join some girl rides.
I am familiar with the riding at Loftus, Appin, Menai, Ourimbah, Canberra etc so would be happy to show others around.:)
Wow, you sound like an expert chica! A couple of us are going on the beginners ride at Loftus tomorrow, you're very welcome to join us if you're interested. 8am at Loftus oval :)

Sounds like we'll have to line up another ride for later too :)

shells

Squid
Thanks for the ride ladies and gent! It was great to get back into it (although I'm going to be really sore tomorrow) :(

The singletrack at the end there was awesome :D Can't wait to do it all again!

Thanks for being patient with much less fit newbie!

chica

Likes Dirt
a nice morning for a ride, sunny with a bit of a chill in the air to make you keep riding.
nice to meet you all this morning and look forward to riding with you all again soon.

chica

Likes Dirt
anyone up for a ride tomorrow (Friday)

i have the day off work and if the rain holds out i was thinking of going for a ride. PM me if you are interested. maybe Royal National Park, Menai or Appin

i have the day off work and if the rain holds out i was thinking of going for a ride. PM me if you are interested. maybe Royal National Park, Menai or Appin
Sorry, missed your message. Was working anyway. You've got my details now, just sms. I seriously need Fling training.

chica

Likes Dirt
i also got into the Fling, so will be keen to get a few kms going. my boyfriend and i booked flights this week to US/Canada and will be hitting the trails in Oregon, CA and Canada in Aug/Sept! getting very excited! went riding up at Awaba (central coast) today so am trying to be consistent with the riding.
am heading down to Wingello on Sunday with some riders from Nobmob. maybe up for a local ride on Saturday