Glandular Fever

Dane

Likes Dirt
This sucks ass! :cry:

After about two weeks of feeling pretty bad (ie: waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, feeling like my throat was covered in bee stings and struggling to breathe between coughing fits) I made it to the doctors. He felt a few of my glands, looked down my throat and took some blood, giving me a 70% chance of having glandular fever. I was told to take it easy and blood tests would be back in a few days. Well blood test results are in and I have glandular fever. I'm not too excited about it. Doctor's orders are:
No riding
No swimming
No surfing
No sport (at all)
No weights

Well thats the end of my get in shape for summer regime. :( Still going to be lanky dane. :(
I protested and he said I can go for a walk if I like. :evil: Gee thanks!

Before you ask she was definitely worth it. but i don't think I stand much chance with her now. :cry:

Just curious...
Who's had it?
How bad was it?
and how long did it take you to get over it?

I'm determined to get over it asap so i can make the most of my summer break.

See if you can cheer me up
-Dane

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
I want to get in shape for summer too, but it will never happen and not because i have a virus. Im just lazy. :)

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
first off definantly take it easy don't think that you can just ignore it, it WILL get worse!
My older sister had it.
She had a pretty severe case and was totally knocked out for the durration.
She had it for over 7 months then had chronic fatigue for just over a year.

It's not worth the risk of prolonging the virus or comming out with it with chronic fatigue, take it as easy as you can, ie. tv, pc, books, sleep.

I know it's not what you want to hear but dw, not all cases are that bad. I have two mates who have had it, one worse than my sister and one was back to normal after about 6 weeks.

Good Luck and make sure you follow the doctors orders and if thingsget worse go see him!

arnott

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive had glandular fever for a while now, doc said i got it start of july. same side effects as you probably a little bit better. it lasts for ages. even when you think you are over it and your glands are down doing anything will be extremely tirering for a very long time another 6 months++. i still get very tired after doing any sort of exercise and since it is just the beginning for you, you should be buggered for quite some time. 2 of my mates had it one didnt do anything for 3 months and is gets very fatigued the other didnt do anything for 7 months. some cases are worse than others and by the sounds of yours it will be bad.

do what the doc says

RCOH

Eats Squid
Who's had it? me
How bad was it? it was pretty bad, not as bad as some people i knew but worse than others. Started with same symptoms as you, though it was an infection from surfing in dirty water, thought nothing of it but got progressively sicker, then after about 3 weeks, within the period of 2 days I got so sick i could not get out of bed, eat, lift my arms or legs...anything for about 5 weeks. I also got a horrible rash all over my body.
and how long did it take you to get over it? All up I was out for about 2.5 months & missed 8 weeks of school.
A good friend of mine had about 1 year later & was off school for 5 months & had to repeat yr 10

Dhfactory

Likes Dirt
Who's had it?i have
How bad was it?
I had it pretty bad, couldn't go to school, ended up getting kicked out
i was racing XC every weekend at the time, my riding slowly got worse and worse and it wore me down, I would throw up if i rode about 500 metres, get dizzy, sick, tired, etc.
and how long did it take you to get over it? 2 years or so, basically because i keep racing and riding without knowing i had it for about 6months, just killed my body.

I would recommend if u have it, don't ride or do anything too hard for 6months, hopefully, u will get over it quick.

dugfast

Likes Dirt
Who's had it? My friend just got diagnosed about a week ago
How bad was it?
It looks pretty bad, whenever i go to see him he's sick in bed and pretty spaced out or asleep. He's got a mad white coating on his tongue and throat, its pretty foul.
and how long did it take you to get over it? It's still going... he's pretty deep in at the moment so i doubt he'd be getting better any time soon

DRUM

Likes Dirt
whos had it... my brother.
How long did it take... luckily he got over it pretty quickly like 1-2 months... the tiredness followed but it didnt seem to hold him back to much.

he had white pus down the back of his throat

tu plang

knob
andrew said:
i had it last year, but not a severe case...was over it in 3 months
yeah sounds like me.

i had just got back into swimming training about 3rd term and was really getting fit. but then training just started to kill me, id walk home from school in the arvo and just have no energy left etc.
this was pretty much the tail end of it as the throat end of things was pretty mild and i thought nothing of it.

around the same time a mate of mine got it and ended up with cronic fatigue also. he was/is still in a pretty lethargic way.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had it last year......

was in hospital and i got a drip coz i got sooooo dehydrated from puking :twisted:

i had it term 2 last year and i got over it mid term 1 this year....

it suks the balls

apsilon

Likes Dirt
I had a severe case of it about 25 years ago. So bad I couldn't even really walk, was home from school basically for the whole year as I had it for 9 months. Caused all the usual symptoms at the worst end of the scale and I had a sensitivity to light so I basically slept for the entire year. The only time I went anywhere was for a weekly blood test. Left me with a permanently damaged throat (from all the coughing, puking and inflamation) which is why my voice is a bit soft and I get a sore throat from talking any decent amount (speeches/lectures/training suck).

All up not a recommended illness. Hopefully the treatments have improved.

Bobo

Banned
O M G !!!!!! UR GANNA DIE~!

:roll:

yeah one of my friends had it and he went like crazy lol he started pulling his beds apart and counting the springs in it! lol

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Wow, and here i was thinking glandular fever was something like a throat infection that you get over in a matter of days with antibiotics. Sounds Hell. :shock:

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
whos had it: i had
how bad: not too bad, luckily my fitness, good attitude, and end goal of getting over it fast helped.
didnt help that my g.f was raped the next week, but oh well, shit happens.
how long did it last: haha suckers, i was lucky, beat the bug in 7 days. muhahahaha.

keep your fluids up, rest heaps, dont do stupid stuff. get better soon mate.

W2ttsy

chickadee

Likes Bikes
i had it, nasty thing.

took about 4 months before i felt well again but about a year to fully recover.
I got sent home from school a lot with fevers and a note saying if my temp goes up half a degree more than take me to the hospital.
i pretty much slept through a year of my life slept on the way to school, got there lay down in the locker room and slept some more then moved to the class room and slept some more then slept on the way home and straight to bed.
i went through stages where i couldn't eat any thing because i burnt my throat so much not even ice cream. i look like i have a neck that is fatter than my head in my school photos from that year.

have fun, your most likely in for the long haul. :( :(

Dane

Likes Dirt
apsilon said:
All up not a recommended illness. Hopefully the treatments have improved.
treatments... there ain't no treatments :(

W2ttsy said:
how bad: not too bad, luckily my fitness, good attitude, and end goal of getting over it fast helped.
you would not believe how much i hope its like this for me! shame I've got so much else to worry about atm as well. uni is really busy.

sad thing is, the threat of sleeping all summer isn't as bad (in fact its kind of appealing, think i might put that on the top of my to-do list*) as the fact i don't know what I'm gonna do about this gurl :? :wink:

and Bobo must admit, i did smile at your post :)

Cheers
Dane

*your mums still at the top of my to-do list! :)

Tomas

my mum says im cool
chickadee said:
i had it, nasty thing.
i pretty much slept through a year of my life slept on the way to school, got there lay down in the locker room and slept some more then moved to the class room and slept some more then slept on the way home...
Sounds like a normal school day for me. :roll: :roll:

My friends mum had it for yonks. She would sleep all day, and all night, and only leave the house to pick up the kids.