Glue to use on a Carbon Frame?

will2

Likes Dirt
I had a minor buster and the rubber down tube protection lifted a little on my Carbon Giant Reign.
Over the past month or so it has continued to peel off. I am now ready to glue it back on for good.
So my question is what glue I should use to stick the bloke back on?
It looks Quick Grip esq when peeling it off, but using a solvent type glue on a carbon frame makes me ill.

So what's the go?

linkl8r

Likes Dirt
On my reign I used carbon tubular glue, safe on carbon and pretty cheap from a bike store for a small tube.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

slowandold

Likes Dirt
Had the same problem with my Trek. Used some double sided tape to stop it peeling any further. Not 100% sure whether I should have, but after a month or so it's still holding.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Contact cement such as Quick Grip is fine.

Mark the outline of the protector & lightly sand inside it to help the glue stick better. It will not harm the carbon.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
When I got a new chainsuck protector for my bike a small tube of JB Weld was included. Not sure how easy it is to get in Aus.

As Duckmeister mentioned good surface prep is key. Lightly sand and then clean very well and then use something to hold it in place as the glue dries.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
JB Weld is usually pretty easy to find at Jaycar and other electrical/hobby stores. Great stuff it is! I've fashioned cable ports from it and fixed up a million other little things :)

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
make sure you use protection in the surface prep, you don't want CF dust/fibre inhalation [you never inhale]

i asked a bike manufacturer mech about using epoxy on a chain stay section which i had taken chunk of -he said should be fine

will2

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys. Ended up using quick Grip, seemed the easiest cheapest option seems pretty well stuck on. Better than stock anyway.