Go Fund Me Buxton Accident

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
Admin please delete if this is inappropriate:

A nasty accident at Buxton has left a young bloke paralysed. This hits very close to home and is a sad accident.
They've set up a Go Fund Me account if this might be of interest to anyone.
https://www.gofundme.com/joshyoung

Thanks for your time.

Apologies if this is elsewhere in the forum or he is known here.

teK--

Eats Squid
Damn... Was that at the lower jumps part of the loop?

Buxton is fairly innocuous but that section has claimed a lot of people.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Damn... Was that at the lower jumps part of the loop?

Buxton is fairly innocuous but that section has claimed a lot of people.
Sorry with out trying to de-rail the thread, Stromlo has something similar that has claimed a life and seriously injured my wife at the bottom of the 4x cross track and others while I stood and watched her lifted out . Sometimes maybe our best duty is to warn others on these supposedly tame pieces of track where multiple accidents occur that in the opinion of the majority that they shouldn't...... it indicates poor track design and the need for caution.

Sorry if this comes across wrong

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry but what does this mean?
it means I recon getting medivac'd out of the forest is a fucked way to end a ride, and a link to raise awareness and some dollars to help with immediate needs is cool by me.

teK--

Eats Squid
Sorry with out trying to de-rail the thread, Stromlo has something similar that has claimed a life and seriously injured my wife at the bottom of the 4x cross track and others while I stood and watched her lifted out . Sometimes maybe our best duty is to warn others on these supposedly tame pieces of track where multiple accidents occur that in the opinion of the majority that they shouldn't...... it indicates poor track design and the need for caution.

The signage in this particular section of track is clear, and probably does the job because every time I've seen beginners there they will be going fairly slow and ride within their skill level.

The problem in my view is what is a fairly narrow descending track with dropoff on one side and embankment on the other, loose gravelly surface, and several rollers/gap jumps that leave little margin for error. It is actually the intermediate rider that can get into trouble on this area with excessive speed and overconfidence.

It's a terrible thing to have happened to this kid and brings back memories of when we had to carry one down the side of that hill on a spinal board with his crying Dad in tow.

redbruce

Eats Squid

Agree. Still not sure about where this happened, and therefore informed response.

Some parts here have disproportionate accident rate. Is it track design or rider error?

If its fundamental track design (but on what participant basis, and signage) we need to address risk management issue to prevent future replications.

Accidents can happen despite but, personally I've not had a problem here because I take a conservative approach, especially when approaching margin (understanding) of my skill. Could be luck, but equally management.

I feel for the casualty and family. Question is one of both risk management and (despite) outcome consequences, and accountability.

As for "fucked way, ....". Eastie, I recall attending an accident at Lysty a few years ago involving you. A simple error but your military training kicked in and despite my experienced 1st aider concerns, you convinced me you were OK.

Turns out you weren't and ended up lost, confused, and then in hospital for a period. A decision I have regretted ever since.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Agree. Still not sure about where this happened, and therefore informed response.

Some parts here have disproportionate accident rate. Is it track design or rider error?

If its fundamental track design (but on what participant basis, and signage) we need to address risk management issue to prevent future replications.

Accidents can happen despite but, personally I've not had a problem here because I take a conservative approach, especially when approaching margin of my (understanding of my) skill. Could be luck, but equally management.

I feel for the casualty and family. Question is one of both risk management and (despite) outcome consequences, and accountability.

As for "fucked way, ....". Eastie, I recall attending an accident at Lysty a few years ago involving you. A simple error but your military training kicked in and despite my experienced 1st aider concerns, you convinced me you were OK.

Turns out you weren't and ended up lost, confused, and then in hospital for a period. A decision I have regretted ever since.
The flow of track 4 "off camber" is enticing, I was above a berm desperately trying to get on the ground and turned in.

Warning Will Robinson. Assumptions ahead!

I'm guessing the poor chap left paralysed from the waist down came unstuck on the last section at Buxton. Whilst signed that it's dangerous at the top, and warnings on all rollers/gaps, it's so fast it's inviting. And as mentioned, inviting for intermediate riders to end up in a heap. Plus if one is on an XC bike, jumping down hill gaps is bloody hard. I b lined everything I could that day on the epic on the last section ( and still had a blast)

I'll donate to the poor chap tomorrow.

One MUST have ambulance insurance, private health care, income protection, death and total and permanent disability insurance before they hit the dirt. Super funds insurance should cover the last three, but by default is grossly under done plus they don't like the risk of MTB.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a descent off on that day Bruce, I was preoccupied with other stress - I shouldn't have been riding. What happened immediately after was how I responded which was survival mode: self check to see what's broken, what works, what doean't, all while answering enough of your questions right to avoid an ambulance or helicopter. Not your problem mate, and I still thank you for stopping.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
That's terrible news, so sad to hear. I'm not bothered by the thread being here, If you can lend a hand folks, chip in. :(

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Really feel for them. Will def donate tomorrow after pay goes in. Only takes a second as I learnt the hard way.

nickg78

Likes Dirt
What sad news. Its a bit scary, reminds me MTB can be quite dangerous.
Donted, hoping him and his family cope.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Really sorry to read about this dude. I hope your wife is ok. Terrible news.
Of course please use the thread. I'm open to the title being updated to cater for wider needs.

All the best man.
Thx. As I said I wasn't trying to derail the purpose of the thread but rather highlighting a concern about track design that is very personal to me.

I've spent way to much time in hospital here in Canberra and in particular the fracture clinic. And the statistic one of the nurse told me was that they see one patient per day that has come off and broken themselves at Stromlo... that still blows me away.

As pointed out earlier in the thread there is a point that appears to be somewhere between upper beginner and intermediate level where some riders just start to take unconscious risks that are right at the limit of their skill level. The consequences of this combined with where they choose to ride results in these types of accidents.

In the case of the bottom of the 4x track, the bloke that died was participating in the military champs the day before 24hr worlds in 2013. He hit the step down nose heavy, over the bars and skidded off to the side of the track and hit a large rock that was placed to demarcate the track head first. He died at the scene. Police cordoned the area with tape, and I spent 25hrs riding laps past this the next day just looking at the tape every lap... and this is why it's just stuck with me so vividly. An assessment was done by the park and the rock removed... QED

Except my wife rode the dirt de femme last year in May, same story hit the drop too hard too weight forward over the bars, knocked out for 5 mins, multiple upper body fractures due to landing on the head/ neck area, and an ambulance ride.

Whilst I was standing there with the marshals waiting on the ambo, a further three woman crashed on the same feature, same failure mode but no serious injuries...

Nothing has been done despite these repeated accidents.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Done, hopefully aus of the yr and his kin have a solution in the wings, now or in a decade or so, something.

dunndog

Eats Squid
it means I recon getting medivac'd out of the forest is a fucked way to end a ride, and a link to raise awareness and some dollars to help with immediate needs is cool by me.
Coolio, absolutely agreed. Sorry , I wasn't sure if it was related to the comment above it regarding the section claiming many a victim on the way out, haven't been out there in ages so I wasn't sure what you were referring to.
I too will be donating tomorrow, I've been on site when a fellow rider binned it riding right at or just beyond his limits, many hours later and an air lift and he's in a wheel chair. A very heavy day for us, can only imagine for him, his family and loved ones. Hopefully things go a bit better here and our friend can make a good recovery.

Last edited: