Goggles or Not

tom199

Squid
When you are riding a good downhill track do you find it better to wear goggles or go without?

There are a few reasons I can think of to wear goggles like protection from mud flicking off your tyre and into your face and also riding through a swarm of bugs isn't pleasent without them, so I need advice. Do they really make much of a difference or can you go without.

I'm not sure weather to go out and spend money on goggles if they don't make much difference.

Bilza_ridez

Banned
well its what perfer

ill tell you the strengths and weaknesses of goggles
strengths:
goggles are very good when you have a muddy track, dry dirt track, rain, Bugs (it happens) or you just need something to protect your eyes.
Weaknesses:
in some instantses it limits your view a very small bit and on hot sweaty days they can be annoying

final opinion: you should get goggles
although you may not use them sometimes, a lot of the time you will need them and they do help a lot. and they look awesome as well :)

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
Mate, goggles are a must, you could try to get away without them if you have prescription glasses and even then its a bit risky. You pretty much summed up why you need them in your post, as bugs, mud or dust can be a killer when you are traveling fast, not just because they can potentially blind you, but for those few second time lapses you could end up in a tree or over a cliff:eek:, not cool:(

I think goggles are worth the money, and for most cheap goggles retailing from $60, its not like there that expensive, so in the end i guess its your choice how serious you take your safety precautions in hand, so i hope i've helped you a little.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
It's worth having them.
They aren't very heavy on the pocket, and could mean the difference between you having a crazy stack.
As it has been already mentioned above, they can stop things such as dust, mud and bugs.
If you go fast enough, your eyes start to water which sometimes may effect you.
I'm currently waiting on a pair off chain reaction.

The other week down at the local, I ran tight on the corner and nearly fell down a 2 metre drop. Luckily my Elixir R's saved me :D

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
definitely get them! im glad that i invested in goggles, whilst riding some downhill tracks i usually 80% of the time, get hit in the goggles by branches, sticks, mud, rocks etc.. i personally would rather spend some cash on some goggles instead of possibly losing an eye.. i just dont think its a risk worth taking.. :confused:

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
I don't ride with goggles, though that's more out of bad habit than any strong opposition to the practice.

I have a sweet scar through one of my eyebrows caused by a stack a few years back. A few cm lower and I'd be riding like a pirate. Had I been wearing goggles, there wouldn't have been any concern.

I don't often ride with goggles either. Not because I'm against the wearing of them, I just prefer not to wear them.

I guess it could be because I'm not used to the feel and thus find them uncomfortable.

However, there are many times where I wish I had them, for example, getting mud in my eye right before a jump and jumping blind and riding high speed in the rain. I still own a pair and will wear them if I feel as though I really need them, usually when its dusty.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Yeah I wear goggles over my prescription glasses. I use Oakley. Get yourself some goggles for sure.

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
I don't often ride with goggles either. Not because I'm against the wearing of them, I just prefer not to wear them.

I guess it could be because I'm not used to the feel and thus find them uncomfortable.

However, there are many times where I wish I had them, for example, getting mud in my eye right before a jump and jumping blind and riding high speed in the rain. I still own a pair and will wear them if I feel as though I really need them, usually when its dusty.
Agreed.I always ride with them on the back of my helmet, just in case. I rather riding with out them for some reason but thats just me, but there always there if you need them

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
i have prescription glasses so dont wear them altho wish i cld alot of the time.
i find that they more my glasses with my helmet so distract me and cant ride properly
my mates rarely wear them because we pretty much only wear full-faces at races.
but if i could i would wear em all the time just because my eyes always water at the start of a run
and i just have to blink it out.

so yess buy them.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reason to get goggles -

1) They looks sweet :p
2) You don't want to be jumping or cornering bling because of some mud/dust/bugs/rain if you can avoid it
3) They'll protect your eyes some what
4) It might just be me but the wind can be annoying to my eyes, you don't feel it if you're wearing goggles so you squint less

So get some goggles.

joekillen28

Likes Bikes
Defiently goggles because i had a huge face plant onto a small tree stump. My front tyre slipped out at high speeds then hit the tree stump but the goggles protected me from getting my head smashed. I ended up with two pretty bad black eyes instead of getting my head smashed.

InvadingFear

Likes Bikes
Goggles are definitely the way to go. I was up at fox creek, sa riders would know it, if you dont know that place then theres something wrong with you haha. Anyway, i had 3 runs down the bowl track and the last corner on the downhill section before it flattens out at the end, i had mud flick up into my eye every time, and at that point you have to turn left off the track onto another one so i was forced to slow down until id blinked out the mud...im getting a pair in a few weeks after trying my mates one run and theyre fantastic so once i do i wont ride without them