Going to Derby, Tassie

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
I'm heading to Tassie, Derby for about 5 days most probably in November. Before I do any in depth research I'd like to know:
1. How Burners have gotten over there from Victoria -> plane + car hire or ferry + own car?
2. Good place to stay central to the trails that can fit 4 - 6 people?
3. What trails are worth riding shuttling?
I'll do a search for threads later to see if I can glean any information.
Thanks

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Awesome place .
The ferry trip is slow and not cheap prolly worth it overnight if you want to take your own car w lots of people.
Otherwise can fly for same price or less rent a van , take care of weight limit though Jetstar are deadly c***nts.
Most tracks are great Blue Tiers , Flickitty Sticks and Atlas worth shuttling .

Goats

Squid
I did the Tas Ferry. Economically works best with about 3-4 people to share the cost and the convenience of your own car and racks worked great as we drove straight to the trails to be riding that afternoon and had no weight restrictions so took a lot of supplies.
We stayed at the "Post Office" Could not fault it, right in the centre of town and 50m from the trail head!

We did 3 days there, 1 day using the shuttle to start from the top of Atlas.

Interested to know the details too.
Will be in Tassie in November for a week. Based in Hobart initially but I'm hoping to get up to Derby too.
I know it's a hike to get there from Hobart but I'm not likely to be back to Tassie any time soon.
Spoke to a guy recently who used to work for World Trail down there.
"Just go there!!" His words exactly.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
All the Derby accommodation is basically at the trail head/ shuttles. Weldborough Pub is worth a look too. Branxholm is just down the road too.

Jump on vertigo's blue tier/ big chook/ atlas shuttle day and then do some blackstump shuttles (return to sender, 23 stitches and flickety sticks etc). Dam busters and krushka are XC loops (still worth doing).

Sent from two tin cans joined by string

rstim

Likes Dirt
Book a shuttle for the Blue tier/Atlas for one day, the start of Blue tier is an hour away so not really a rideable option. The bottom section of the tier is big chook (fast flowy berms with a few jumps) which you can ride up from Weldborough if you enjoyed it.
The rest of the network can all be ridden from Derby with shuttles up to Black stump usually running every afternoon which will save your legs and give you access to 4-5 different descent options.
Everything is worth riding at least once and 5 days should allow you to do it all with plenty of time to ride the tracks you loved more. Talk to Buck at Vertigo for shuttle packages and any other info he's a top bloke.
Can't help with accommodation sorry as I lucky enough to live 45mins away.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Buck and Jude at Vertigo mtb. They will pick you up from, and return you to Launceston airport, arrange/provide shuttles, accommodation and hookers.
Don't fuck with Buck.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Buck and Jude at Vertigo mtb. They will pick you up from, and return you to Launceston airport, arrange/provide shuttles, accommodation and hookers.
Don't fuck with Buck.
Or let him catch you fucking with Jude...

Based in Hobart initially but I'm hoping to get up to Derby too.
I know it's a hike to get there from Hobart but I'm not likely to be back to Tassie any time soon.
It's like 3 and 1/2 hours, 2 of which are on what passes for freeway in Tasmania. Pretty much the same as driving between traffic lights in Queensland. Do it, it's not even boring driving, pretty much anywhere you go has a view.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
A group of 6 if us are heading there end of November for 5 days, including travel time. We booked a house in town, 3 shuttle days and have hired a mini bus to get from the airport. Worked out super cheap with flights and I would expect to ride most of the trails in those 3 days.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

EyeMacHunt

Likes Bikes
Interested to know the details too.
Will be in Tassie in November for a week. Based in Hobart initially but I'm hoping to get up to Derby too.
Spoke to a guy recently who used to work for World Trail down there.
"Just go there!!" His words exactly.
What dates? A mate and I will be around Hobart 16-20th Nov, then heading to Derby 21-26. If you need a lift let me know.

What dates? A mate and I will be around Hobart 16-20th Nov, then heading to Derby 21-26. If you need a lift let me know.
Will be around then I think. Will know this week.
I'll have wheels too so can help out if it gets crowded.
Likely need to be up to Derby early in that week, I'm thinking an overnighter or two.
Shuttle day and then a pedal day.
Not sure really but have heard that Hollybank is pretty good too. Hobart has some good riding close by.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Juggs is a different style of track - more raw, more rock, more babyheads with some excellent flow and some truly arse-puckering technical black options. But don't make a special trip just to do it unless you're on your way to or from Derby.

Nth Sth track in hobes is fun and Meehan Range is awesome (particularly when considering its a community project).

So that'll keep you busy while you're here.

Sent from two tin cans joined by string

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Some paranoia for you Puddleduck.
A mate was down there earlier this year and had his Remedy stolen off his vehicle. When he reported it to the local fuzz, he was told there is at least one theft gang that has sprung up to take advantage of the number of high spec bikes visiting.
Pack good locks.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Some paranoia for you Puddleduck.
A mate was down there earlier this year and had his Remedy stolen off his vehicle. When he reported it to the local fuzz, he was told there is at least one theft gang that has sprung up to take advantage of the number of high spec bikes visiting.
Pack good locks.
Thanks mate, I'll be keeping an eye out.

Hope he recovered his bike and they caught the thieves.

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bus to Berms will also pick up at the airport and provide shuttles.
We stayed at Blue Derby Base which is right in Derby. Huge house and was about $160 a night. www.bluederbybase.com
Flickity Sticks along will keep you amused for a day and a bit. Then there is Atlas, Blue Tier and everything in between. I really liked most of Dam Busters.

Don't go to either pubs in town, they hate mountain bikers. The Hub pizza place is a great place to eat.

If/when I go again I will do a heap more riding before I leave so fitness doesn't hold me back.