Golden Jubilee MTB Park Grand Opening Day Tomorrow

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Cancelled

just got an email from council and due to wet weather they have post- poned the opening. Don't know what date - will keep you informed.
Adrian.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Jubilee de-brief

Just wondering how many people are riding this place on a regular basis?
Apart from the pump track there was very little there that I would ride and with an obviously high price tag was wondering if there is anything that could have been done better.

Shoryuken

Likes Dirt
Apart from the pump track there was very little there that I would ride and with an obviously high price tag was wondering if there is anything that could have been done better.
Imo , the DH tracks within a 10min ride are better. With an XC or a DH bike
Every time i go its just kids rolling around on the new stuff. Ive actually seen a few with training wheels.
What they spend on this? 30-60k from some pro track builder?
And i went a few wents ago and i noticed the small loop that heads out behind the pump track is now out of bounds. srsly wtf.

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
shame

i went there once and, after seeing how ordinary it was, haven't returned. it's a bloody disgrace the money they spent on this when riders can build something better themselves. not just the money, but now it's embarrassing because after all the campaigning by mtb'ers nobody rides there. local residents and bushwalkers are probably just as dissapointed as riders now they have this eyesore hanging about. it's a case in point why undisclosed, unauthorised trails built by riders have a place if you ask me.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I was disapointed when I rode the track, I wasn't expecting a full on downhill track but I was expecting something that resembled mountain biking not just a scar on the side of a hill. My major disaapointment is the build doesn't seem that sustainable - no armouring of the track, lack of drainage, no trees retained or mature vegetation etc. When you compare it to the quality of build at Warrimoo there is no comparison.

Here are some more people that are more excited about Jubes.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/2162769042/New-mountain-bike-park-for-Ku-ring-gai

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
The park itself is not, I'll admit, terribly amazing BUT it's very significant in that it's a proof of concept that suburban councils can provide facilities for MTB in fairly urban locations. The plan for the park was originally more extensive but the locals protested and they downscaled it. Now the locals realise that it's a great facility to have in the area and they're all for it.

With public support (IE not what's been written above by whiners) the council should be convinced to expand the facility and they're also looking to working with other neighboring councils to have a trail network linking other similar facilities. So... get writing to Kur-ing-gai council and tell them how great it is and how you like to see more. If you'd like to see this in your local area then write to your council and sight the Jubes MTB park as a great example of what can be done.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Mr Pants I agree Jubes should be a very significant proof of concept of how suburban councils can provide facilities for MTB in fairly urban locations. I also agree that with public support Jubes would form the basis to convince the council to expand the facility and as an example to other councils of what can be achieved.

The reality is that to fulfill the role described above, Jubes should be a blueprint of sustainable trail building techniques, an exemplar for other trail builders and authorities to look at, learn from and show how to achieve sustainable outcomes whilst building trails.

Unfortunately Jubes falls short of this, the criticisms I have made - not sustainable, no armouring of the track, lack of drainage, no trees retained or mature vegetation - are unfortunately valid and I think they undermine the role that Jubes could play with the local and other councils. The reality is the track built at Warrimoo is a much better example of what can be achieved as far as sustainable trail building techniques.

Criticism and disapointment should not be interpreted as a whinge. My comments were limited to the build; I left the "less than amazing" nature of the track alone - however I am concerned this will limit the ongoing patronage and potentially create the situation where Council views it as a 'white elephant' that relative to the level of investment doesn't get used much nor have any impact in reducing illegal trail building in the area.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mr Pants I agree Jubes should be a very significant proof of concept of how suburban councils can provide facilities for MTB in fairly urban locations. I also agree that with public support Jubes would form the basis to convince the council to expand the facility and as an example to other councils of what can be achieved.

The reality is that to fulfill the role described above, Jubes should be a blueprint of sustainable trail building techniques, an exemplar for other trail builders and authorities to look at, learn from and show how to achieve sustainable outcomes whilst building trails.

Unfortunately Jubes falls short of this, the criticisms I have made - not sustainable, no armouring of the track, lack of drainage, no trees retained or mature vegetation - are unfortunately valid and I think they undermine the role that Jubes could play with the local and other councils. The reality is the track built at Warrimoo is a much better example of what can be achieved as far as sustainable trail building techniques.

Criticism and disapointment should not be interpreted as a whinge. My comments were limited to the build; I left the "less than amazing" nature of the track alone - however I am concerned this will limit the ongoing patronage and potentially create the situation where Council views it as a 'white elephant' that relative to the level of investment doesn't get used much nor have any impact in reducing illegal trail building in the area.

Spot on. Much like the Grove in Seaforth (and to some extent Stromlo) it provides a very good example of why these sorts of facilities need to be built and maintained by the riders. Without a dedicated crew taking shovels along every weekend, these sorts of places are destined to fail.

It's a great example of what can be achieved in some respects. But it's also a good example of where councils can learn from mistakes, and do a better job next time.

And I mean no disrespect to all the people who worked hard to make this all happen. The end product is no reflection on their hard work - they did amazing to get the powers that be to provide such an extensive facility.