VIC Golden Triangle Epic 2015

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
packing wt weather gear as we speak. Hopefully tomorrow is ok.

Does anyone know if there are showers at the Scout camp we can use?

hakka

Likes Dirt
Don't make me hunt you down on Sunday for misleading me.
No-one hunted me down so I take it the track conditions were acceptable.

I slept in, missed the start of the 50km, did the 15km instead and won that. Heading out now to ride the 50km under lights.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
No-one hunted me down so I take it the track conditions were acceptable.

I slept in, missed the start of the 50km, did the 15km instead and won that. Heading out now to ride the 50km under lights.
Hakka, the trails were in perfect condition. Really enjoyable.

Those mega tight rocky sections towards the end of the lap were very challenging for me.

First 100km down, and I'm still smiling. Just.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
awesome trails and a really great event. Agree that last section of tricky rocks was a real challenge. did the 50km in around 2 hours and fifty.

back next year for sure.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
awesome trails and a really great event. Agree that last section of tricky rocks was a real challenge. did the 50km in around 2 hours and fifty.

back next year for sure.
100km in 5:33 according to Garmin. First lap was looking good at 2:37, then my legs disintegrated.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
sounds like legs were still in 50k mode, still awesome time on that course just had to push through the pain zone.
Thanks man, just saw the official results, second lap 20 minutes slower than my first!

Yeah, I just need to find a way to get my overall training volume up. Quality is good, quantity is...........insufficient.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Haven't posted in a while! Work and stuff getting in the way of browsing forums!

Raced the 50km and had a blast. The track was in awesome condition, a few puddles here but the rain also made it grippy as hell so cornering was FUN!
I did a 2:27 for the 50km which I was somewhat satisfied with (been a bit erratic with training of late) - and that included a couple of wrong turns which cost me around a minute.

A tonne of photos seem to be uploaded also via Open Shutter Photography's facebook page.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Haven't posted in a while! Work and stuff getting in the way of browsing forums!

Raced the 50km and had a blast. The track was in awesome condition, a few puddles here but the rain also made it grippy as hell so cornering was FUN!
I did a 2:27 for the 50km which I was somewhat satisfied with (been a bit erratic with training of late) - and that included a couple of wrong turns which cost me around a minute.

A tonne of photos seem to be uploaded also via Open Shutter Photography's facebook page.
Welcome back cheesedoodle, good to see you're still alive :thumb:

softek

Likes Dirt
Thanks man, just saw the official results, second lap 20 minutes slower than my first!

Yeah, I just need to find a way to get my overall training volume up. Quality is good, quantity is...........insufficient.
well done mate, for your first 100km that's got to be one of the toughest going around in victoria, I went home and slept 12 hours straight, this hasnt happen for like 3 years, thats how shattered i was.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
well done mate, for your first 100km that's got to be one of the toughest going around in victoria, I went home and slept 12 hours straight, this hasnt happen for like 3 years, thats how shattered i was.
Thanks mate.

I was pretty surprised with the volume of singletrack in the race. I found it quite difficult to eat and drink enough. I am still catching up on sleep.

But heading out for a run right now.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Thanks mate.

I was pretty surprised with the volume of singletrack in the race. I found it quite difficult to eat and drink enough. I am still catching up on sleep.

But heading out for a run right now.
Agreed - the amount of singletrack was awesome, but I got too close to bonking for comfort about the 25km mark.
And the difficulties passing early when everyone was trying to sort themselves out at the start.

Great event, loved the feeling and people just seemed to have a great attitude - will be back for sure next year.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Well Shane's version of events have him picking a side to pass Ben on and Ben shutting the door and putting Shane into the timing tent.
I'd like to hear from anyone who saw it though.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Well Shane's version of events have him picking a side to pass Ben on and Ben shutting the door and putting Shane into the timing tent.
I'd like to hear from anyone who saw it though.
It was a pretty hectic finish, especially after 155k. I had held Shane off for the last 10k with some cat and mouse attacks after he chased back, coming into the final k or so we got stuck behind some 50k riders which we couldn't pass until the final straight, where I went for my sprint from the front in the final 50m or so with everything I had as we hit the line Shane was literally half a wheel off and on my inside towards the timing tent as he said. I probably did change my line in the final push for the line, and I apologised to Shane straight afterwards at the finish if it caused him to slow, but at the time he said no dramas.
In the end it was for 4th! And I had actually not known a Phil was already in front, thinking that the sprint was 3rd.

Tough days racing, easily the hardest mtb I've ever ridden, 3 laps of that course is just brutal!

Ben

Last edited: