Good locks?

After the untimely theft of my agent I've felt motivated to get a DJ bike and have one lined up that should be arriving within the month - nothing too fancy, a Norco Havoc with aftermarket road tires and marzo forks.

Just wanted to know what lock is gonna protect my baby and what stores in melbourne have them? By the sounds of the stories out there D locks are inadequate, especially if you have an attractive bike to thieves (big shocks).

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
if you want good look at the ABUS stuff..

i use one of there D locks on my bike. Harden 13mm shackle and solid harden base with a disc style keyway on it.

a few friends have some of the abus cable locks wich are 20mm cable with harden shroud around the whole thing.
solid as and the only way you would get though it would be with an angle grinder.

i been a locksmith for 10 years an most of the stuff bike shops sell i wouldent use on $50 Kmart bike..

d@ve

Likes Dirt
I have a hardened steal motorbike lock that I use, it's heavy but is unbreakable, (chews the teeth off a hacksaw)

apsilon

Likes Dirt
I have a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit chain for the frame and rear wheel and around an anchor point, a New York Noose for the front wheel and fork, a 10mm cable through the lot and an Abloy PL350 padlock holding it all together and to the second anchor point. Then there's the fact that it's in the house. With the dog.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit pricey (>$200) but the Master Street Cuffs are confidence inspiring. Got mine from BikeNow in Melb. about two years ago.

And they get lots of admiring looks.

Of course, if anything on your bike is QR you'll need a cable too...

They've kept my pride & joy secure...

Abus sounds good, I've seen em around - the armour-plated cable locks - but didn't know what brand they were. I've gotten a bit dubious of D Locks since some wiseass discovered you could open most brands with a pen tube, of course that doesn't apply to the flat-key variety which is only released by kryptonite as far as I know?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Christo said:
Bit pricey (>$200) but the Master Street Cuffs are confidence inspiring. . . .

arent they insured or something like good electrical powerboards? or am i thinking of another set?

My bro has been a career for his hole life and his never seen a bike get stolen with a d-lock even if they like the bike its going to take them 10 mins to cut through it. its pretty obvisous in the middle of he street some one hacking away at a bike. only downside to a d-lock its quite heavey but is beter than getting your sweet ride stolen. :D

demo man

Used to be cool.
just buy and train some form of large and scary animal, like a lion or a tiger, or a bear, and take that with you when you want to leave your bike somewhere. then you'll only need a tiny little lightweifght lock to stop the bike falling over under it's own weight.

no problemo!!

the guy who said that d-locks have insurance - i thjought they did too, anyonw know to how much though? $300 isn't going to get your beautiful bike back is it?

just find something that's big, heavy, and costs a lot. get a locksmith to go to the store with you and get their proffesional opinion on it/them.

good luck buddy, hope your shit doesn't get taxed this time!

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$$$MONEY$$$ said:
My bro has been a career for his hole life and his never seen a bike get stolen with a d-lock even if they like the bike its going to take them 10 mins to cut through it. its pretty obvisous in the middle of he street some one hacking away at a bike. only downside to a d-lock its quite heavey but is beter than getting your sweet ride stolen. :D
there are quicker ways of breaking d locks but im not going into it here as its may give people bad idea's there is also the bic pen thing that takes a few mins...

apsilon

Likes Dirt
I think it's pretty common knowledge on how to break a D lock quickly that doesn't involve any cutting or pen work, espically amongst thieves.

As for insurance several brands offer it but I'm yet to see one that's valid in Oz. eg the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain I have has US$3k insurance on it IIRC but it's not valid here.

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
a tip... always lock ur bike up in bike cities no matter what, even if its 4 2 minutes, coz thats all it takes.
Another tip... Put a simple small pad lock on ur disks so even if they get through the first lock they cant ride away, better chance of catching the bastard. :D

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i would do that but it will stuff things up if they do try to get away with it(damage the forks brakes etc)....and they could just throw it over their shoulder and run or pull the front up and walk with it...

edit fixed bad grammar and spelling i hope(how come i always do it then some one quotes me,but when all it good no one quotes me?)

Last edited:

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
exvitermini said:
i would do that but it will stuff things up if they do try to get away with it(damage the forks breaks etc)....and they could just throw it over their shoulder and run or pull the front up and walk with it...
yes true, but remember, those sort of people arent smart enought o figure out why its not moving. And wouldnt think of running with it :D

TIMOH

Banned
exvitermini said:
i would do that but it will stuff things up if they do try to get away with it(damage the forks breaks etc)....and they could just throw it over their shoulder and run or pull the front up and walk with it...
It's going to slow them down a LOT. It's still a good idea, I reckon.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
could put 100 zip ties on the chain stays facing inwards towards the wheels that would slow them down a bit and if the werent very smart they would dump the bike thinking its cr@p..... i dunno,just dont leave your bike out of your view...is there a need to take a nice dirt jumper/downhill.freeride bike somewhere and leave it there with out a knowing its going to be there when we get back,when SH!iters are so cheap and most of us have a second bike that would be more suited to going to the shops/schools/etc?

Just a general piece of advice.
If you can, lock your bike up near lots of other bikes. More than likely, if it's a casual thief, they will go for the simplest/quickest/easiest target.