Google message

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

this helped explain it in terms i could understand. no, its not a great idea. nil issue with google/bookface paying their fair share, but this isnt the way to do it

Minlak

custom titis
so someone jumps on google looking for news, google directs them to a news site, and then google pays the news site for the privilige?
thats the opposite of how i thought the interwebs worked. But then i thought bookface was a free for all with regards to bouncing people for price gouging MTB stuff :p
In marketing terms - if you are not paying for the product - then you are the product :)

Litenbror

Eats Squid
why doesn't google just invest in the fossil fuel industry here? they'll enjoy tax benefits that will well outweigh the costs involved in paying news outlets...
He'll, if they invest in the fossil fuel industry they will be telling Scotty what to do so they can do what ever they want.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It will be a Mexican stand off, if Australia becomes successful in making them pay it will most likely happen in other counties too. Fuck big corporates that don't want to pay tax anyhow.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Wouldn’t them paying for article snippets give them more expenses so they end up paying less tax though?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
maybe find a better way of taxing them then? i feel like effectively handing control of how search results pop up on end users screens to large media corporations isn't necissarily the way to get more tax dollars out of a search engine.

again, if google just jumped in on the coal bandwagon they'd be all peaches with scomo and his buddies. good plan if you ask me

Flow-Rider

Burner
Oh, yeah! I'm sure NewsCorp are paying their fair share of tax here too!
So you think it's better that people steal content and pay virtually nothing here and money goes offshore? Australia is fucked, nobody wants to work hard and we'll have a big covid debt after this pandemic finishes.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
So you think it's better that people steal content and pay virtually nothing here and money goes offshore? Australia is fucked, nobody wants to work hard and we'll have a big covid debt after this pandemic finishes.
Not what I was inferring
There has to be some way of retaining the taxes here to benefit the users/country. I guess the problem is that some of the massive revenues these companies receive is always going to be funneled into lobbyists, campaign contributions and lawyers to ensure the loopholes stay open

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not what I was inferring
There has to be some way of retaining the taxes here to benefit the users/country. I guess the problem is that some of the massive revenues these companies receive is always going to be funneled into lobbyists, campaign contributions and lawyers to ensure the loopholes stay open
They needed to get a foothold of the problem from the start, it's a bit like the Panama shelf companies. I'd be very surprised if google gives in, but the more money that stays here the better, and you can always filter what you veiw on google.