gps, hr data watches

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bump!

Anyone checked out the Garmin Instinct? Looks like a nice solution - rugged and light, cut back on colour display but lots of functionality. Just the HR isn't great for MTB - but not many wrist based ones are (exception being the Apple Watch 4 - but that has other limitations).
I picked up an Instinct just before xmas and have been pretty impressed with it (first watch like this I've owned). HR seems good to me when I'm on the bike or walking/running; but doesn't seem that accurate when doing weights. There is an issue with altitude due to the barometric pressure sensor being blocked by your hand when gripping the handlebars but for the most part it doesn't affect it too badly, you just get some random elevation spikes.
Battery life has been really good, compass is accurate and it's pretty comfy compared to my old G-shock

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
So, Fenix 3/5 owners: how has it held up to a stack? Thats my main reason to look at the Instinct, but I do really like the look of the Fenix.

And do you pair with a HR strap for MTB or can you get it secure enough on the wrist to get an OK reading?
I can vouch for its ability to handle a stack or 5 and counting. Took another tumble on a trail run last weekend lol. I just use it on my wrist for HR it’s accurate enough for me. People say it needs to be tight to work but I find it works better for me if it’s a bit looser.
Fenix 5 here. Had to buy the missus one in the end as she liked it too

I have a Fenix 3 but not the HR, I didn't want the hr data all the time. I use the chest strap, it provides the support I dearly need.

I use it in the surf and ocean swimming, it doesn't record wave count like an Apple Watch, would probably just be depressing anyway. I don't bother with the chest strap in the water, I don't think they work so well in the salt water. I can get tide data which is cool.

Used it in Japan skiing, encouraged me to go faster and crack 60 km/hr, tracked the runs really well, "knew" when I was on a lift.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Ah dammit, there were some yellow banded Fenix 5 floating about (JB etc) for only $449 - but they seem to have all disappeared :(

If anyone sees them around for that price, let me know. The 5x is a bit of a jump in price - or I'll just go for the instinct at ~$370 and save a few bucks.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Ah dammit, there were some yellow banded Fenix 5 floating about (JB etc) for only $449 - but they seem to have all disappeared :(

If anyone sees them around for that price, let me know. The 5x is a bit of a jump in price - or I'll just go for the instinct at ~$370 and save a few bucks.
Keep an eye on rebel sport. They do good deals on Garmin all the time. I went with a forerunner xt785. Originally was going to buy Fenix 5 but the price is getting up there.

Scotty675

Cable thief
That’s a good deal. I bought mine 18months ago so they are still the place to shop. I paid $398 for my xt785 at the time that was the cheapest I could find it anywhere. Don’t need another but that’s pretty tempting, looks like a trip to rebel to see if they have any in stock at my local to suss them out.
If anyone does buy anything other than a sapphire I’d recommend a glass cover to protect the screen.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I saw the "S" - but hesitant as the sizing is targeted towards smaller wrists. Was planning on ordering online - might have to brave the mall and see if I can try on...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Ah - didn't see that on Amazon, does say US. Assuming you can reload maps though?

Ok, the plus is a good deal at rebel then... But I could just get an instinct and then a new drive train for the hardtail for the same price haha

Likes Bikes
Picked up a Garmin Fenix 3 (non HR) today for $280. Working well for me so far. Does much of what the Fenix 5 does but a few clams cheaper.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
In the end went with the Instinct for $330 (easter sale). FINALLY arrived today. Will try and figure out how to send routes to it from komoot and then then adventuring begins!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Garmin Instinct has been fantastic - does everything I need. Have planned a couple of bush rides with it using Komoot, and using it as a general tracker for rides. HR works well for running (and for MTB but I don't pay much attention at HR for that). Charge it once a week.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Garmin Instinct has been fantastic - does everything I need. Have planned a couple of bush rides with it using Komoot, and using it as a general tracker for rides. HR works well for running (and for MTB but I don't pay much attention at HR for that). Charge it once a week.
Looks good. Glad to see it's barometric and GPS. I made the fatal mistake of getting a Suunto sport that only uses GPS for elevation gain and its fucked. Against my garmin computer and my wife's computer, that read within 10-20m, it's up to 60% out. Always low.

Hey

Likes Bikes
I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and it does everything I need, including heart rate. Every bit as good as the more expensive Garmin Fenix.