GPS tracker recommendation for trail dog

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Hi folks,

I hope it's ok for me to ask this here, it's MTB relevant as i'm training my 9 months puppy be a trail dog so he can come with us when we ride.

While he's a good runner, he has a tendecy to get disracted with smells, plants, and other animals during walk. This make me wary to allow him running in a trail unleashed, prompting me to look for a GPS tracker to put on him. Trawling around the internet, I found this https://getfindster.com/store/. Anyone here ever use it - how good is it? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Not used it,w what breed of hound? How about remote operated shock collar? 1 or 2 squirts will have them on tri quickly

gippyz

Likes Dirt
he's a west highland white terrier. Not common to be trained as trail dog i know.

Yeah...i don't want to resort to remote operated shock collar, seems too cruel.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Side question, where are you actually allowed to ride with a trail dog? I'm in Vic and I just been told no and no so many times by various authorities and folks.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I'm in Sydney. There're only few places I'm allowed to bring my dog - knapsack in blue mountains, ourimbah and awaba in central coast, and kentlyn in campbelltown.

EDIT: oh there is hornsby and westleigh up north as well that i believe u can take your dog.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Side question, where are you actually allowed to ride with a trail dog? I'm in Vic and I just been told no and no so many times by various authorities and folks.
Good question. Give him a prepaid mobile and he can ring you if he gets lost? Don't put him on a plan though. You don't want him organising hookups while you're out riding and costing you a fortune.....

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Good question. Give him a prepaid mobile and he can ring you if he gets lost? Don't put him on a plan though. You don't want him organising hookups while you're out riding and costing you a fortune.....
Hahaha! Well you are not far off there. I was actually gonna attach one of my old iphones (with prepaid sim with few bucks in it) on him and use the find my iphone feature, but that's so reliant on cell reception, and some bush area has almost no reception at all despite it being near residential areas.

DMan

Hahaha! Well you are not far off there. I was actually gonna attach one of my old iphones (with prepaid sim with few bucks in it) on him and use the find my iphone feature, but that's so reliant on cell reception, and some bush area has almost no reception at all despite it being near residential areas.
Which is a good point. I went through this myself for me as I used to do a lot of riding solo in areas with no phone reception. Some of these GPS trackers still rely on phone service to send info to your phone. So make sure you check that out.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Which is a good point. I went through this myself for me as I used to do a lot of riding solo in areas with no phone reception. Some of these GPS trackers still rely on phone service to send info to your phone. So make sure you check that out.
Ah yes good point. Even the one I pointed out may not work if there is no reception as it's most likely reliant on mobile data to load the map!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The trackers that rely on GPS alone all carry a monthly subscription, Spot Tracker or Garmin In-reach are the most popular two.

You could maybe justify the price if you rode alone in remote places or did some remote touring where there is no phone signal.

DMan

The trackers that rely on GPS alone all carry a monthly subscription, Spot Tracker or Garmin In-reach are the most popular two.

You could maybe justify the price if you rode alone in remote places or did some remote touring where there is no phone signal.
I ended up buying a cheap Sat phone. On a $15 plan it was cheaper than Spot

Ah yes good point. Even the one I pointed out may not work if there is no reception as it's most likely reliant on mobile data to load the map!
Exactly the issue I found with most.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe do a search on some of the Australian hunting forums. They often use dog GPS trackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Maybe do a search on some of the Australian hunting forums. They often use dog GPS trackers

Yeah I think the garmin alpha came up and the marco polo. They can get a bit over the top with the pricing. I might just settle for the one with sim in it and make sure that cell reception is generally ok where i take him.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Have been looking for a tracker for my roaming cat. Found Telstra locator. Looks to big for cat but perfect for a dog. Works with Bluetooth and wifi but does cost $10 a month.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
he's a west highland white terrier. Not common to be trained as trail dog i know.
They’re sturdy little dogs but go easy on the little fella out on the trail. Used to have one when I was growing up who lived to 17! I wouldn’t be game to take him out for more than a couple of kms. I Even slow cruising pace on a bike would require some serious effort from their little legs.

Got a Hungarian Vizsla now who is a purebred athlete (or at least thinks he is) and even he can’t stick with me once the pace rises downhill. Will happily do 10-20km if there’s a few hills involved to slow me down though!

I’m not aware of any trails in Vic where you’re allowed off leash dogs - I only take him out at Anglesea where the trails are pretty unregulated.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Yeah...i don't want to resort to remote operated shock collar, seems too cruel.
A breed well known for their endurance and speed...how far are you intending to run the poor beast?

Great choice of breed BTW.