Granton!!

DJ_Robbie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those interested in riding that Marysville/Narby area, when I worked for DSE in Alexandra there is a Forest Officer there named James Cowell, avid MTB'er, has many projects in the pipeline for that area to help out the MTB scene and would be more than happy i'm sure to help out whenever he can.

If you need info he'd be a good person to speak to, just a heads up for those who are looking for a name to contact.

Hard Nox

Likes Dirt
Too wet for Narby. Looks like push runs at the good ol' Youies instead.

BTW, James was the DSE guy I spoke to. I was in a hurry to go and buy new brakes, so couldn't chat with him. But, I do agree, he is helpful and sounds very keen to support MTB.

old man

Likes Bikes
closed roads ai granton

Iv rung and spoken to Dse in Marysville and they had told me that the road to the top of the dh track was closed due to seasonal road closures not due to fires and they will be open again on the first long weekend which is show week so until then you are doing push runs....

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
wheres the fun in that hux? dont you like a bit of drriifftt?
I dont think Hux is saying it as in that, or if your being sarcastic, but it will wreck the tracks and all the hard work that has been put into them. especially when they are not hardened up yet (i.e lips and berms)

James

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont think Hux is saying it as in that, or if your being sarcastic, but it will wreck the tracks and all the hard work that has been put into them. especially when they are not hardened up yet (i.e lips and berms)

James
yeah, i was just kidding around murph.....

that said, narbi is fun in the wet, but the new sections shouldnt be ridden, obviously. after a while the soil out there packs down so hard that you dont tear it up by riding in the mud, its just hardpack clay.

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
yeah, i was just kidding around murph.....

that said, narbi is fun in the wet, but the new sections shouldnt be ridden, obviously. after a while the soil out there packs down so hard that you dont tear it up by riding in the mud, its just hardpack clay.
haha ok then! yeh, it needs some more sun and less rain now! haha!

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Anyone know if the road to the top is now open again? We're looking at possibly going up there this Sunday.

mudmav

Likes Dirt
Granton is defintly still closed checked again last week and the word from parks and dse was that the local council had noticed that people are ignoring the road closures and that they are getting reports that alot of the cars ignoring the closures have mountain bikes on them. The dse person told me the council are right royaly pissed off and that they are thinking that if we as a mountain bike community cant do the right thing and respect the road closures then why should they let us use the track and roads at all. So my advice is to stay away until the road closures are lifted (prob 6-12 months)

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Holy old thread revival batman..........

So does anyone know whats happening at Granton, some mates and i want to head up there tomorrow.

Are there any maps of the area?

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Last time I spoke to the Russel @ DSE (couple of months ago) the shuttle road upto the gate/tower was still closed as it was more a question of safety with falling trees etc that have not been cleared yet. Unfortunately the DSE do not recognise this trail (both long and short) as a legitimate MTB trails hence the efforts have been placed elsewhere as part of the rebuild etc.
Usually its a slop pit this time of year and not worth riding unless you enjoy stripping your drivetrain of that horrible orange goop mud/clay.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about narby? are the ground conditions still the same over that way??
I believe the rangers are sweet with narbi, but the track isnt.
The top section is inaccessable due to logging, and the whole length of the track has trees down and water flow damage. Would take 10 people and a few chainsaws to fix it up.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I believe the rangers are sweet with narbi, but the track isnt.
The top section is inaccessable due to logging, and the whole length of the track has trees down and water flow damage. Would take 10 people and a few chainsaws to fix it up.
When was this assesment done?