Gravel Bike Help.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I was going to convert to 1x10 though
I actually went back t o2x for the graveller. 1x chain life is rubbish and I can only afford that on my mtbs. Also the FD is less of a pain in gravel bikes/roadies. There isn't like a gazillion things happening that part of the frame and dropping chains is less frequent.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I actually went back t o2x for the graveller. 1x chain life is rubbish and I can only afford that on my mtbs. Also the FD is less of a pain in gravel bikes/roadies. There isn't like a gazillion things happening that part of the frame and dropping chains is less frequent.
I have noticed the trend for going back to FDs, it all depends on your style of riding I guess.. but with the bigger range cassettes, it's more viable to do 1x.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've got a 1x11 11-40T on a 40T chainring for my gravel bike. Can then use your front shifter as a dropper remote :D

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I have noticed the trend for going back to FDs, it all depends on your style of riding I guess.. but with the bigger range cassettes, it's more viable to do 1x.

I tried to stay with 1x but just couldn't...switched to 2x sub compact using XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur and some Gevenelle shifters. Now it and I can do most everything...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I tried to stay with 1x but just couldn't...switched to 2x sub compact using XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur and some Gevenelle shifters. Now it and I can do most everything...
They are some nice shifters! A clutched derailleur would be the go

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How do those shifters work? Are they a fancy friction shifter?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Never heard of these.
How do you operate that shifter? It seems very high up for index finger shifting, do you use thumbs?
they are essentially hacked trp levers, they pull apart & add a little indexed downtube? thumb shifter, easier to operate with you index/middle finger, than your thumb..nice idea when they were going to adopt trp hydro levers but shifting the smallish lever is a bit difficult
genevalle shifters
not cheap now unfortunately, a guy on fbook was selling some in melb s, think they were more than retail...i sent him a polite read abusive msg to lower his price, he told me to just make an offer

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm 178cm. So around a 56 or L I'm thinking. I'm on the cusp of M and L in most brands. Nice bike by the way.
I reckon this is pretty well priced. Long way from home and all but ticks a few boxes.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I have been riding and commuting on a Focus Mares CX for about a year. It's bloody fast on tarmac and gravel roads, but painfully slow on rutted or rocky trails. So, I'm currently building up a Surely Bridge Club, rigid, sub 10kg rig, for commuting/riding/bike packing. It will have drop bars and can accommodate both 27.5 and 29. The reason I chose the bridge club was largely geometry, I tabulated 7 frames and the Bridge Club was the frame with the best geo 'compromise', I also had a budget. I suggest you do something similar - find out what riding you want to do and identify the most suitable bikes, then tabulate the geo, and go from there. It's not always appropriate to simply buy a MTB and put drop bars on it, most of the time you'll have issues with geo. But, you will find that some modern frames will work, main factors are BB height, reach, wheelbase. The other consideration is drivetrain, keeping in mind that road controls will not always operate with MTB gears, it's a different pull ratio, but you can get an adaptor for this from wolftooth. I'm using ultegra controls with ultegra RX rear mech, and Hayes mechanical discs. My gearing will be 38 or 40t x 10-40, which will provide a good range.

A sub 10kg steel Surly? Keen to know the spec. The Marin CX commuter thingameejig weighs 9.8 with carbon wheels/cranks/forks/bars/post and a fairly light alloy frame. Weighed with tubeless 38mm Gravel King's so probs bit more with current 43 mm GK knobbies. The 43 mm tyres really transformed the Marin though. Focus Mares couldn't take anything that big from memory.
Both bikes below were kerbside frame finds that i checked the numbers on. I mostly look at reach /bb height + drop but certainly within specs we are talking about. I'm keen on converting this SS MTB 29er to a SS commuter on 2.5 tyres. That way I will need a new MTB...

Here's last years effort from a kerbside Fluid MTB frame find. Just over 10 kgs from memory.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
How do those shifters work? Are they a fancy friction shifter?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
They can be both actually. And they do work with Dynasys...since that's what I have. Essentially they are old school Microshift thumb levers hacked very nicely into TRP brake levers. And they work very well...and if you crash them then they are so much cheaper to fix than SRAM or Shimano brifters.