Great Dividing Trail - Daylesford to Castlemaine

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

First post as I've come across this site whilst researching the Dry Diggings track and there is some great information here.

I'm doing the ride soon from Daylesford to Castlemaine and was curious as to how the tracks compare to Lysterfield Park?

I did 30kms today at Lysterfield (Commonwealth games, hug, blair witch, redgum, etc) and am pretty exhausted.

Is the ride significantly easier than the tracks at Lysterfield?

Thanks.
LOL Lysterfield is a bike path tootle compared to Daylesford to Castlemaine. Firstly the distance is about 60 km. The tracks are also rocky and a bit overgrown in places at the moment. That is they aren't nice and groomed like Lysterfield.
Hepburn to the chocolate mill makes people curse or cry or both. The chocolate mill to Vaughn springs is the best bit but includes a few steep technical climbs thrown in for good measure. From Vaughn you are pretty much climbing for 1 to 1.5 hrs all the way to the top of the water race outside Castlemaine then it's a 10 km steady flatish DH into town. It's a good days ride and you should allow 6 to 8 hours to complete it. Take heaps of water especially in summer. There aren't many opportunities for re filling. That said you can refill at Vaughn springs park and the Tennis courts in Friers town. Take food because unless you want expensive chocolate you can't buy any along the way. If you want to make it a little bit easier easier on yourself start at the chocolate mill.

It is heaps of fun though and it is well worth doing. Pick a day with temps in the 20s to do it though.

mith_03

Squid
LOL Lysterfield is a bike path tootle compared to Daylesford to Castlemaine.
Thanks for the feedback.

When was the last time you road Lysterfield? If it is really that much more technical then I'm not out! :nono:

I'm a bit confused though, some previous posters say they enjoyed a chat riding two abreast while doing dry diggings but you say that Lysterfield is a tootle in comparison.

Whilst I wouldn't say that Lysterfied is difficult, it definitely makes you work so there is no way I could attempt anything that makes it look like a tootle.

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback.

When was the last time you road Lysterfield? If it is really that much more technical then I'm not out! :nono:

I'm a bit confused though, some previous posters say they enjoyed a chat riding two abreast while doing dry diggings but you say that Lysterfield is a tootle in comparison.

Whilst I wouldn't say that Lysterfied is difficult, it definitely makes you work so there is no way I could attempt anything that makes it look like a tootle.
To be honest the last time I rode listy was years ago (say 5) I used to ride there a lot untill I moved to Castlemaine. It was the reason I went fully rigid on my single speed. It was smooth fast and flowy and unless it hasn't fared well under the increased traffic over the years I couldn't imagine it has changed that much. I've also ridden the dry diggings fully rigid and single speed. Litsy is a paved road in comparison. Rigid forks are really painful to ride in these parts. But I digress. When I say technical climbs I mean it's steep, rocky and probably loose with a tight corner thrown in for good measure. So you need some good skills and legs to navigate them on your bike or you can walk. They are mostly mercifully short so walking isn't a big deal.
Understand that the GDT is a mix of fire road, double track and single track. Sure there are parts that you can ride side by side but in places like the water race you can't even overtake.
The trails out here are not like Listerfield. Listy is sandy hard pack mostly. The rocks when you encounter them are rounded smooth granite. In the wet you might encounter some bog. Out here It's dry and the rocks are square edged basalt and quarts. So the tracks are hard packed and rocky. Also at Listy you don't see what moto traffic does to a trail. They dig it up and expose more loose rock.
So all these things make the dry digging track all the more fun. It's fun rugged trail mountain biking which will help you justify owning an expensive dualy (if you have one).

it's just me but given the choice between riding the dry diggings and Listy I'd pick the diggings every time.

Don't get discouraged Mith . Come up for a road trip with your mates and you'll have a blast.

mith_03

Squid
Out here It's dry and the rocks are square edged basalt and quarts. So the tracks are hard packed and rocky. Also at Listy you don't see what moto traffic does to a trail. They dig it up and expose more loose rock.
I know these types of trails well, I come from a dirt bike background and have ridden all over the state, funny how much easier riding is though when you just have to twist the throttle!

Don't get discouraged Mith . Come up for a road trip with your mates and you'll have a blast.
Might need to get some more kms in my legs before I head over that way. Gotta try and talk the brothers down I think, I want to enjoy the ride so that I can head to the pub for a good feed and a few quiet ones aftewards!

Thanks for the feedback.

mith_03

Squid
To be honest the last time I rode listy was years ago (say 5) I used to ride there a lot untill I moved to Castlemaine. It was the reason I went fully rigid on my single speed. It was smooth fast and flowy and unless it hasn't fared well under the increased traffic over the years I couldn't imagine it has changed that much.
Still pretty much the same but with a few short technical runs thrown in. A single speed hey? You must have some decent legs. I'll stick to my gears and suspension any day.

jane

Squid
3 of us rode it 2 weeks ago. We started at Castlemaine and rode to Daylesford, stayed the night and then rode back the next day. Day 1 took us 5 1/2 hours ride time, it was pretty tough. We carried 3 litre camelbacks with food, change of clothes and food, and a pretty good first aid kit and tools. ( Snake bite could be a problem out there this time of year) It's a pretty big day...We came across 2 other guys when we left Vaughan springs, when we came across them they were pretty stuffed, and still had a long ride ahead of them. I hope they called their pic up ride at the chocolate mill. We had some more food at the chocolate mill and thought we only had a short ride to Daylesford from there...quite wrong. It was a hard ride from there, and the hill into daylesford is enough to let you know you've had a big day on the bike. The next day we took the road back to the chocolate mill, and then continued on the trail from there. Ride time back was about 4 hours, which was good as the legs were pretty sore. Great trip, I recommend it, but you need a good to be fairly experienced on a mtb.

mith_03

Squid
Thanks for the feedback Jane. We have decided to build up the kms a bit before we head over that way.

Was going to do the ride with my brothers but I'm thinking a day at Lysterfield with a BBQ will work much better.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback Jane. We have decided to build up the kms a bit before we head over that way.

Was going to do the ride with my brothers but I'm thinking a day at Lysterfield with a BBQ will work much better.
Hey dude, I take beginner riders along the dry diggings trail. We start in Vaughan Springs and then ride to the Chocolate Mill just outside Hepburn Springs. Have a coffee and chocolate and then return. Its 20km each way. Going there, the last 8km I think are gradual uphill road. The single track is the best going to Vaughan springs, but it is still pretty awesome in both directions. The ups going back are steep pinches and over in 2 minutes or so of riding. If you cant ride it, there's no shame in walking. Have a rest at the top, rejoin your group and then enjoy the long downhills after them.

Its my fav track in Vic. Enjoy! Make it a day trip, bring the fam, theres bbq's and a kids slide at Vaughan springs, not to mention the river.

I get my wife to drop me off at the Choc Mill and I ride to Vaughan Springs. She has a coffee and choc and then drives to VS and the kids play on the slide until I arrive. I live in Melb and we make a day of it. Flat out, the 20km takes just over 1hr. If you bring a mate and his missus and kids, your missus will have company so you dont have to ride as hard as she wont be waiting for you.

HIFI2009

Likes Bikes
I was the one who talked about riding two abreast. Please note that my comments relate to the entire trip - Bendigo to Ballarat. Dry Diggings is the most difficult section but, as someone mentioned, the technical hilly bits tend to be short and sharp. I rode rigid without any great issues.

mith_03

Squid
Hi all,

Quick update, did the ride today and had a blast. Plenty of rocks and climbs, some mud and water and sore legs at the end of the day!

Rode from Daylesford to Hepburn Springs and then jumped on the trail. Enjoyed the track from Dry Diggins to Vaughn the most. Suffered a bit on the last bit into Castlemaine as decided to ride my geared full rigid and missed my dually on that final part!

Ride time was 3.5hrs, about an hour on top of that for breaks and chatting with the locals. Went through plenty of water and scored some icy cold water from a local in Vaughn.

Thanks for all the advice, will give the dually a run next time to see what the difference is like.

Rocky Riders

Likes Bikes
Plenty happening along the Goldfields Track

There's also this for those who like to stop and smell the roses...:joyous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7618PmnLc

Both vids put together by a Castlemaine Rocky Rider, we reckon he's done a fantastic job.

Plenty happening along the Goldfields Track....

The GT Committee now has MTB representatives from each of the Bendigo MTBC, Rocky Riders and Ballarat-Sebastapol CC. Rocky Riders, Bendigo MTBC and the Great Dividing Trail Association (founding club of the GT) have teamed up with Parks Vic to carry out a series of maintenance sessions throughout the year along the entire 210km length of the GT. This includes much needed track clearing, signage replacement (vandalism still a big problem) and minor infrastructure works.

If you are riding or walking the track and come across a fallen tree, realise a guidepost is missing or have any other feedback please mark the spot with your GPS (if you have one) and email info@goldfieldstrack.com.au.

Thanks and cheers,
Andy Bos
Rocky Riders & Goldfields Track committees

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Rode a big chunk of the track last Sunday. Hopped on the trail near Rocklyn (between Creswick and Sailors Falls where you initially follow the old railway line) and rode all the way to Castlemaine. 90kms in 5 hours. First time I had ridden the section between Creswick and Daylesford. There was some great flowing double track stuff, steep hills and descents, but did get a bit lost around Sailors Falls maybe due to some ambiguous signage and confusion over walking route vs cycling route diversions.
I can see the temptation to ride on the road between Hepburn Springs and the Chocolate Mill to avoid the steep climbing on the bush trails, but by god its good marathon training! All the river crossings that I heard about had obviously dried up over the summer so no problem there.
The only really nasty overgrown section was just before climbing out of the bush onto Porcupine Ridge Road where there was a good couple of km of otherwise fast flowy single track that was overgrown with face-high shrubbery.
Other than that the trail is in pretty sweet natural condition. Read - rough, rocky and loose. No groomed MTB park here. Love it!

jp80

Likes Bikes
.... a good couple of km of otherwise fast flowy single track that was overgrown with face-high shrubbery.
Ah! the best kind of shrubbery.

Not sure if Henry of Harcourt has had a shout out yet, but with the current wave of cider love is anything to go by, I'm sure he is doing well. Well worth a stop.