great vic '09

tudorsi

Likes Dirt
anyone started training yet?

whats the course?

if you have already started training how much are you training a week?

skivi

Likes Dirt
Bicycle Victoria usually don't announce the route until nearly april/may i thnk.

i remember you can usually buy your ticket from about July onwards, they used to give away those ultra ugly and crappy bikes to entice people to get in early, probably worked a little too well i think the 2004 ride i was on had nearly 10,000 people participating.

how old are you dude and what kind of bike are you riding?
if your between 14 and 40 and aren't overweight and at least have some occasional recreational exercise in your life you should do fine.

GVBR's are the best fun if you can find a group of good friends to do it with especially if your still young and at highschool.

tudorsi

Likes Dirt
Bicycle Victoria usually don't announce the route until nearly april/may i thnk.

i remember you can usually buy your ticket from about July onwards, they used to give away those ultra ugly and crappy bikes to entice people to get in early, probably worked a little too well i think the 2004 ride i was on had nearly 10,000 people participating.

how old are you dude and what kind of bike are you riding?
if your between 14 and 40 and aren't overweight and at least have some occasional recreational exercise in your life you should do fine.

GVBR's are the best fun if you can find a group of good friends to do it with especially if your still young and at highschool.
ye i heard its gunna be the great ocean road but im not sure
i am 14 at the moment but ill be 15 at the time of the ride i am going to ride my avanti team corsa? pro series

skivi

Likes Dirt
you should be fine.

i did my first GVBR when i was in year 9 when i was also 15 and the ride was from Mt. Hotham to Mornington via Gipsland (590km).

i actually went with my school on that ride, there was about 15 boys and 4 teachers. at the time i was still riding an XC bike with slick tyres, i was pretty skinny and didnt have the same kind of strength most of the the other guys had as they all played footy/basketball etc but i had been doing 50km rides along beach rd every weekend for maybe 2 years overcoming chronic asthma. despite all that i was still on par with the average fitness level amongst participants.

for training i just recommend mixing it up, if your worried about the ride devise a routine which is focused on building good stamina, get used to carrying lots of water with you too, i recommend a camelback.

will you be going with family, friends or your school?
i remember Christo mentioning in an old old old thread when he went with his highschool the best part was the opposite sex, every year i went the number of girls participating with their schools outnumbered us boys at least 3 or 4 to 1. there's nothing hotter when your 15 then chicks in lycra who dig bikes as much as you ;) so train up now so you can impress them with your hill climbing later hahaha good luck matey, some of the best memories in my life were on these rides.

stace.pear

Likes Dirt
nah i heard great ocean road too.

does anyone have any info about how to get into the WARBY voulenteer mechanics group?
thanks.

skivi

Likes Dirt
does anyone have any info about how to get into the WARBY voulenteer mechanics group?
thanks.
try calling Bicycle Victoria. you'd probably get discounted entry and such.

So if it went from Portland to Geelong it WOULD go along the great ocean road?
not necessarily, theres a shit load of logistics involved with getting a couple of thousand cyclists along a narrow winding, busy and dangerous road.

the 2004 ride i was on was from Port Fairy to Geelong was described as the great ocean road ride but in reality we only touched it once and that was for half a day up to Lorne. the whole road had to be closed off to accommodate the riders as well as all the support vehicles. still it was rad fun.

stace.pear

Likes Dirt
yeh i'll try and call bicycle victoria, thanks mate.

yeh true but the 2004 ride had maybe double or even triple of what there expecting next year (09), due to the free bike they were offering.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did it a few years ago with my school... Had a ball heaps of nice like minded people and i had great time, getting up eraly in the morning as the sun rises, exploring new places, excelling to new challanges, meeting great people and getting some ladies action ;)

BTW the year i went the first night in Beechworth Kenny came and i got a photo of him in my sleeping bag :eek:

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Great Ocean Road!

Hell Yeah! I'll be going. with the massive crew at Warrandyte High. We wear Red/Blue top gear cycles tops.

Case king

Likes Dirt
I did it last year and heard it went more in land rather than the great ocean road...but i could be wrong.

Lube

Likes Dirt
Being one of the mechanics on it, I can easily say it was the best and funnest week of my life. Nothing beats fixing bikes in a pit tent with a class of school girls watching 3 deep (unless of course you are no longer school aged!) :D
Get a few of their numbers mate and all that training won't matter no more, you will be riding with them and stay in contact for a long time afterwards, speaking of which....

Case king

Likes Dirt
The route is Portland to Geelong-550 km

Day 1-Portland to Cape Bridgewater to Portland0-50kms (its a loop)
Day 2-Portland to Macarthur-66kms
Day 3-Macarthur to Port Fairy-48kms
Day 4-Port Fairy to Port Campbell-95kms
Day 5-Port Campbell to Apollo Bay-100kms
Day 6-Apollo Bay - Rest Day
Day 7-Apollo Bay to Anglesea-75kms
Day 8-Anglesea to Queenscliff-66kms
Day 9-Queenscliff to Geelong-50kms

http://www.bv.com.au/great-rides/40985/

Case king

Likes Dirt
I heard there was like 10,000 riders that year. Thats freakin hectic shit.
they put a 5,000 limit on the riders this year