Gripsport Dual Bike Carrier Review

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
We had 1800km of travel planned involving a 1.8L Sedan, 2 DH bikes, 4 Adults and a bucket load of smelly helmets and body amour. Sure we could have attached a trailer for the weekend. Or even setup some roof racks, but with the price of fuel these days such options were going to hit the pocket hard on an already expensive weekend away. The best bet for us was the new Grip Sport Quick Grip tow bar carrier.

Check it out here.

928stu

Likes Dirt
A truely excellent product.

I've had mine for nearly a year now - not a problem except your cranks can get a bit scratched.
I've tried inner tube over the cranks - works but looks shite.
So now the 'plasti dip' - a rubberized coating.
At $38 a tin it aint cheep but what a job.
4 coats is about 2mm thick - no scratching now.
I think the red with a black carrier and a black car looks a bit 'loud' so it's getting a coat of black now :D

Attachments

projectsplat

The film guy
Nice tip Stu. We are picking up one for the house in the next few weeks, so I am sure that will be the first mod.

Cheers

Al

GRIM

Likes Dirt
Saint Cranks

What about saint cranks will they fit or do you need to get an the optional bigger size

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Do this to check exactly...

* Stand your bike on flat ground with the left crank pointing STRAIGHT DOWN.
* Right at the crank, measure UP from the ground 270mm and mark that position on your crank.
* That mark is at the same height as the top of the crank holder and shows you exactly how far down into the holders your cranks will sit.
* The opening in a standard crank holder is 47mm wide by 22mm deep, so if you now measure the width and thickness of your crank at that mark you will know immediately if your cranks will fit.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
scbullit said:
Hey 928Stu... Where to you get the plasti dip stuff - Bunnings maybe? Or a more specialty store?
try marine stores they use them to dip chains in so it doesnt damage the gelcoat

Grip

GuRhInDiZzLe said:
its a great invention, but its just sooo heavy... maybe grip can invent a lighter one for the smaller cars.
i still love it
Problem is, lighter = not bullet proof. Get your priorities right... buy a bigger car :D

Roy Batty

Cannon Fodder
GuRhInDiZzLe said:
its a great invention, but its just sooo heavy... maybe grip can invent a lighter one for the smaller cars.
Why, can't your car hack it?

How small is your car? Does the rack cause it to wheelies when you accelerate too hard?

GuRhInDiZzLe

Likes Dirt
nah i had a custom tow ball installed. it can take it but when u have heavy bikes as well, it may rip the tow ball off if bouces to hard.

demo man

Used to be cool.
^^

why would you pay for some custom bling if the damn thing can't even carry a bike rack?!

if it's just the ball, just buy another standard type one, they can't be very expensive.

i prefered the idea of a mini etc. doing wheelies down the street with a DH bike strapped to the back though....:D

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
demo man said:
^^

why would you pay for some custom bling if the damn thing can't even carry a bike rack?!

if it's just the ball, just buy another standard type one, they can't be very expensive.

i prefered the idea of a mini etc. doing wheelies down the street with a DH bike strapped to the back though....:D
its probably no the strength of the actual towball, but the posistion/strength of the chasis... alot of smaller cars dont have the strength in the underbody to accomidate a towball with 40kg of weight levering the chasis to oblivion.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
demo man said:
Like Ajay said it's probably more a case of a custom tow mount on a car that doesn't usually have one. Things like Nissan 350Z and Renault Sport Clio don't have a factory tow bar option.

demo man said:
Cept being a bum dragger the mini wouldn't actually go anywhere, lotsa smoke tho......

Hopper

Likes Dirt
Hey I am actually thinking of buying a grip sport rack but i have encountered one problem. My mate bought one and my crank doesn't fit in the crank holder? Everyone else's does but my FSA X-drive Xtreme cranks don't fit. Only by a few mm because of a weld or protusion thing at th ebottom of the crant aroun the hole the pedal screws into.

Is it possible to get different sized crank holder?

Grip

Hopper said:
Hey I am actually thinking of buying a grip sport rack but i have encountered one problem. My mate bought one and my crank doesn't fit in the crank holder? Everyone else's does but my FSA X-drive Xtreme cranks don't fit. Only by a few mm because of a weld or protusion thing at th ebottom of the crant aroun the hole the pedal screws into.

Is it possible to get different sized crank holder?
Hi Hopper,

You can get oversize crank holders on the carrier itself, or you can buy an oversize adapter that you can then use on the carrier and race shuttles etc, but if it's that close a fit then your cranks will realy flop around in them. You may be better off with standard holders and simply open them up a fraction around the slot. Two shifters and some rag (to protect the paint) will normally do the trick quite nicely. Alternatively, if you want to be able to use other people's carriers you could just grind off a mm or two off the protruding part of the crank (where the pedal screws in) and then your bike will fit in fine.

Cheers