Hacks

Who are you?

• Total voters

Flow-Rider

Burner
As long as the crows foot is at 90 degrees (as shown) it doesn’t alter the torque applied as the length of the “moment arm” isn’t effected.

There seems to be a bunch of different calculations available for if working with an offset, but 90 degrees is always no compensation required.
I wouldn't use anything thin as you might measure the movement with in the tool interfaces, possible ok at low torque values. Ford from memory tells you not to use any adaptor over 2"at right angles.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I wouldn't use anything thin as you might measure the movement with in the tool interfaces, possible ok at low torque values. Ford from memory tells you not to use any adaptor over 2"at right angles.
The 2" max extension thing rings a bell, but aircraft industry certainly isn't shy about using crows-foot adapter at 90 degs for some fairly high-torque applications (due to stupid access restrictions that prevent use of a socket).

Flow-Rider

Burner
The 2" max extension thing rings a bell, but aircraft industry certainly isn't shy about using crows-foot adapter at 90 degs for some fairly high-torque applications (due to stupid access restrictions that prevent use of a socket).
Every time I've looked in an areo space mechanic's toolbox it's all snapon tools, the snapon stuff used to be pretty solid.

I've only ever used one on ford automatic gearboxes for the band adjustments but the tool has the correction on it, it's only made for that specific job. All the new gearboxes from about 90s onwards are fully electric and have nothing to adjust anymore.

teK--

Eats Squid
As long as the crows foot is at 90 degrees (as shown) it doesn’t alter the torque applied as the length of the “moment arm” isn’t effected.

There seems to be a bunch of different calculations available for if working with an offset, but 90 degrees is always no compensation required.
Yep this. Or if not aligned at 90 degrees just divide original wrench length by new extended length, and multiply by required torque, to work out setting for wrench

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Haha, to be fair a large part of my kit was Stahlwille.
In my year I went out and paid extra for stahlwille (instead of the FACOM shit QF were organising for us, and it was SHIT).

From the following year onwards QF started getting stahlwille kits in ;)

Flow-Rider

Burner
Stahlwillie used to be just as dear as snapon in the late 90's, and before the internet came along snapon used to be innovative and the first of everything. I ended up telling our snapon rep to pissoff after I had cracked 2 x 3/8 sockets just with a hand ratchet and he wouldn't warrant them. The flank drive spanner is the best thing ever for bolts in hard to get places.

beeb

The flank drive spanner is the best thing ever for bolts in hard to get places.
For grip on the fastener they’re pretty good (until the jaws start to stretch apart). But once the fastener’s ‘cracked’ it sounds like you need to get some “ratcheting” open-end spanners in your life! Easy to DIY from a set of cheapie spanners and surprisingly effective on draggy/corroded (but not completely seized) threads:

Flow-Rider

Burner
In my year I went out and paid extra for stahlwille (instead of the FACOM shit QF were organising for us, and it was SHIT).

From the following year onwards QF started getting stahlwille kits in ;)
I haven't heard of Facom for a long time. It gets used as a flogging spanner these days.

Flow-Rider

Burner
For grip on the fastener they’re pretty good (until the jaws start to stretch apart). But once the fastener’s ‘cracked’ it sounds like you need to get some “ratcheting” open-end spanners in your life! Easy to DIY from a set of cheapie spanners and surprisingly effective on draggy/corroded (but not completely seized) threads:
View attachment 390574
I've got a few open end racheting spanners, they're lucky to last a year in the smaller sizes when you use them everyday. The probelm with most cars is that the accesories are bolted on by machine out of the car body and no oil used on the threads, the first time you've got to crack something like an alternator pivot bolt institute it's a nightmare.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The older Facom stuff is probably not bad.

The stuff in 2000 was garbage.
I thought the original importer to Aus went broke, that's what the tool dude told me in 91. It had a real course ratchet on it but all grime used to get into it and make it slip, the ratchet is welded solid now, hence the flogging spanner for tight bolts.

beeb

Thanks to @Labcanary I hacked up this Ispec 2 bar mount...

I didn't have time to make it super pretty. Just got the rough edges off and hit it with the Sharpie.

View attachment 396222View attachment 396223View attachment 396224
FYI, careful doing the mount bolt up (ie: use the minimum torque you can get away with). I've done the same bodge in the past, and the casting cracked where the brake master cylinder casting had been while I was doing it up. It was as if they'd thinned out the clamp casting under the master as the master cylinder's housing would brace the clamp area. Ended up sacrificing a second brake assembly and it worked okay.

beeb

Hate that 'Raaaaaaaaaaatcch' noise when you operate your roller blinds?

Well live in peace and tranquil quiet my friends with Dr Beebenson's patent-pending EzySpin Chainrollerᵀᴹ chain guides!

47DCCB6C-6769-48E2-99ED-D1FF58C59753.jpeg

Truth be told I just chopped up the existing plastic lower guide, turned it upside down and added a sliding door roller. If you're going to give it a shot (and please do, the silence is frankly blissful!), please note I've actually 'faked' this shot to make the chain look a bit tighter around the pulley wheel and more logical for the picture. Make it that tight in reality and you'll be dragging your knuckles (no, not like that...) up the window frame.

That's one less OCD twitch left to bug me at home!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hate that 'Raaaaaaaaaaatcch' noise when you operate your roller blinds?

Well live in peace and tranquil quiet my friends with Dr Beebenson's patent-pending EzySpin Chainrollerᵀᴹ chain guides!

View attachment 396559

Truth be told I just chopped up the existing plastic lower guide, turned it upside down and added a sliding door roller. If you're going to give it a shot (and please do, the silence is frankly blissful!), please note I've actually 'faked' this shot to make the chain look a bit tighter around the pulley wheel and more logical for the picture. Make it that tight in reality and you'll be dragging your knuckles (no, not like that...) up the window frame.

That's one less OCD twitch left to bug me at home!
Brilliant!