Handlebar width, what's the go?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Got a few bikes. Hardtail race bike and a yeti sb66. Been running a 660 flat bar on the race bike and a 680 3/4 riser on the sb66.

Been thinking about trying wider bars. Is there a general rule for how wide, style of bike, shoulder width? Yah de dah?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Lots of talk about widest is best, but comes down to your size also. I'm a little fella, I love wider bars, but 740/750 is just right for me, whether xc/trail/am or Dh. Try at least 720, but for an sb, I'd go even a bit more.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
For anything other than DH 1.5 X shoulder width should be on you money.

Trails will have an impact too, I've had 800 on the am bike, am running 780 now, which is super comfy, but am considering hopping down to 750-740 as I'm getting over blackberry rash up my arms. I look like an emo cutter after a ride on some trails.

wozza

Likes Bikes
Down to personal preference really, at 5.7' I've run 720 then switched to 740 on my AM rig-haven't looked back since!!!

camoshop

Banned
I'd always had shorter bars then wanted to try wider ones, I got 780mm in the intention of cutting then down if needed but 780 felt nice for me so I stuck with it. So you can alway go bigger and cut down to suit what feels best.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For anything other than DH 1.5 X shoulder width should be on you money.

Trails will have an impact too, I've had 800 on the am bike, am running 780 now, which is super comfy, but am considering hopping down to 750-740 as I'm getting over blackberry rash up my arms. I look like an emo cutter after a ride on some trails.
How's about a hook up briar rabbit! Pick some of those blackberries and send us some jam. And not your palm jam.

As said already ride style and trail style come into it. I run 750s to keep hands at about shoulder width and allow me to be tricky on the jumps. And wider and its hard to crank an x-up! Plus you need Mega wide trails....

Rise is a bit different. I go with what ever keeps my brakes above the top tube. It really sucks when you crash and break brake lever on top tube....

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm using 760mm Deity bars and they're practically perfect.

Good balance of control and not hitting the bar ends when passing trees and things. :p

floody

Wheel size expert
I run 780s on everything now. I tried 710 and it was good, tried 740 and it was better, tried 780 and it was better again. Yes I do have to slow down to a crawl to wiggle through some trees, but where I ride those kind of gaps are shoulder width anyway so even with 685s on you'd have to wiggle some. Its probably less good for climbing, but meh.

indica

Serial flasher
Go 850, it's the new six fiddy bee of bars.
Get those elbows out and smash koalas.

OR, use whatever feels good.

driftking

Wheel size expert
The wider you go the more forward you place weight you also limit the amount of movement in your arms.
Practical observation push up position the wider you place your arms the less range you have and you get lower to the ground.

Now with that said you can go as wide as you feel until the width starts inhibiting your movement.
Up to this point its all down to person feel for steering, stability, weight placement.

Johnacles

Likes Bikes
I've got narrow shoulders and run 740s on my XC bike with an 80mm stem, I find it supremely comfortable in all but tight tree sections. Sacrificial gloves!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
dare to be different.

710s on tallboy with 70mm stem, cant being to imagine going any wider.
665 on niner jet 100mm stem - faster bike, steering is quicker and they get through trees better. rider 6'2, tree lined trails, wide shoulders.

most fun bike though flowing trails is the niner with narrower bars

Sic

Likes Dirt
Im running a Renthal Duo in 50mm and a Renthal Fatbar lite uncut (740mm) on my SB66 and I'm very happy with it.

I was running a 710mm bar but the 740 feels better, I'm not that tall but have monkeyish arms.

The only problem with the 740mm is hitting things like the Wombat trails that were obviously made with 600-660mm width bars in mind, theres some gaps that I just can't thread but the level of control more than makes up for it.