Handlebar width, what's the go?

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had 777mm but had to cut it back because of where I ride, I got tiered of clipping trees and was always conscious of them whenever riding. I cut them back to around 747mm and they're sweet as now.
Do you have to log a flight path with air traffic control when using those bar lengths?

teK--

Eats Squid
Over the years I have gone from:

680mm with 100mm stem
695mm with 100mm stem
750mm with 70mm stem
750mm with 60mm stem
780mm with 50mm stem (and I'm finally happy!)

In my view as long as you are compensating increasing bar width with an appropriate reduction in stem length then you are maintaining the same reach but encouraging a stronger riding position and better weight distribution over the front wheel.

The pushup test is only part of the equation the proof is taking the bike for more than one ride. It generally takes 3 or 4 rides to get used to not clipping trees ;) Start really wide and cut bars down in small increments until you are comfortable.

ubahalex

Cannon Fodder
I'm 6" with average shoulder width
Had 680s on my Giant hardtail, is which was alright
But I got some 720s on my XC dually which feels much better, I wouldn't be able to go any wider for where I ride, only just make it through now as it is.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
First ride today on some 740mm Syntace 740mm 12 deg bars on the Tallboy. Have been running 685 mm 9deg carbon Eastons on both bikes for a while now. Went to Ironbark so no trails with narrow trees.

First impressions were slightly less weight over the front (kept the 70mm stem) for the climbs but didn't bother me too much. Not ideal for race though.

On rough downhills it was seriously a massive change, I thought I must've had a flat tyre I felt so, sort of 'disconnected' from the ragged trails. Not sure if this was just due to the extra width or cause the Syntace bars have more flex built in, probably a bit of both. Heaps more stability but a bit of a loss of feel, would not be a concern on an aggressive front tyre.

Will withhold my judgement for now.

The 12 deg felt very comfortable and didn't make it feel like a cruiser bike. I would be concerned about cutting them down much with the 12 deg sweep though.

Salival

Likes Bikes
I had my first ride with my new bars on Saturday.
What a difference they made! I had so much more control while going downhill.
Nearly clipped a few trees while turning too tight, but I'm amazed how they completely change the feel of my bike.

Beno22

Likes Bikes
750 for me on my trek remedy 9.9 650b, standard bar width from the factory and pretty spot on for enduro style riding, feels great. much prefer carbon to...

stickso

Likes Dirt
I've been running the original 670 Race Face bars with 60mm stem on my 26" Reign and 700 with 70mm stem on my 27.5" Anthem. The 700 feel much better so I tried 740 but just felt completely uncoordinated in the tight single track where I ride. I must be one of the only people where wider hasn't been an improvement so I'm sticking with 700.

Elbie

Likes Bikes
I've recently gone to wider bars from 700 and now riding with 760's it definitely more comfortable and more in control at high speeds, just a bit more of a pain in the butt wheeling the bike in and out of the house without banging doorways :tsk:

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Went from 680 on old Giant to 760 on new Bronson, and don't reckon they're worth all the dramas of hitting trees, taking up half the shed/wagon etc.

Gonna knock 40mm off this weekend and see how that feels. Can't say I noticed much benefit with the wider bars, but different bike so probably not a fair comparison.

Cam

acads

Likes Dirt
I've been running the original 670 Race Face bars with 60mm stem on my 26" Reign and 700 with 70mm stem on my 27.5" Anthem. The 700 feel much better so I tried 740 but just felt completely uncoordinated in the tight single track where I ride. I must be one of the only people where wider hasn't been an improvement so I'm sticking with 700.
730mm bars on my anthem but have reduced the stem to a 70mm instead of the 100mm standard unit . I like the bars even though my bar ends have copped a beating , the stem change really helped me fit the bike better as a was stretching to get to the bars .

my02

Likes Dirt
I'm 6'4 and a solid build.

I run 800mm bars on my AM & DH bikes, both with 50mm stems (35mm diameter).

I think 850mm would be better but I will wait until the 35mm dia guys produce something decent.

I think it's mostly about feel rather than a formula.

I was running 760mm Nukeproof Warheads on my old bike and now I've got 750mm Truvativ Blackbox Clementz bars on the new bike with a 60mm stem on both... I figured it was only 10mm and would help with clearance but I'm amazed at the difference that 10mm made. Really do not like it and can't wait to change it. Sweep etc of the bars coupled with differing geometry of the bikes would no doubt play a part too but for me (6'2" with narrow shoulders) I don't like anything under 760mm.

stickso

Likes Dirt
730mm bars on my anthem but have reduced the stem to a 70mm instead of the 100mm standard unit . I like the bars even though my bar ends have copped a beating , the stem change really helped me fit the bike better as a was stretching to get to the bars .
I fitted a 70mm stem when I first got the Anthem but it still felt wrong at 740mm for me. However I've since fitted 740mm bars with 50mm stem on my Reign and it's great. Different bikes for different purposes.