Have I been f#@ked over by BSC bike store melbourne going bust ?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
welll this is only my take mind you:

when you join the church a certain part of your wage goes to the church, as they are a church they don't have the same Tax liabilities as a business, so they back your business with their pool of nice tax free money. Ivanhoe Cycles are also Scientology if I"m not mistaken.
Mmm, just had a good old internet trawl, you might be on to something.

I guess the owner is off to get audited or been taken away on their spaceship to have his thetans zapped.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Let me clarify I said 5% In regards to how we buy not why.
The Poster said that people see a cheap price and they buy the part but if they didn't see the cheap part they wouldn't buy the part anyway. Ie they never had Intention to buy the part, basically impulse buying.

I said 5% as I would assume most ie 95% of us don't buy parts on impulse because we see them cheap online. We buy them because we need them or are building a bike. We have the intent to buy not impulsively buying. We then Go online to get a cheaper price.
The 5% I said is in regards to impulse buying not online shoppers.
Online shoppers or those who are not I pulsing buying are part of the 95%.

Now that is clear.
I agree as a consumer it is the businesses responsibility to get us to come to them not upto is to grow thier business it's upto them. That said though there is more cost involved for lbs the. Online stores is prices are going to be higher. I think as a consumer I like to get the cheapest price I can but I also want to support the local dealer. I like having the security of inside aus and local for warranty and personal relationship between the stores, in the lo g run the more we decide to go to the local the more it can pay off to us in the future, though this will carry with stores some are very good at helping out others get you in the sort and when your own they don't know you.

I think it comes down to personal preferan e I buy local but that's because I prefer it, each to thier own. I still think we need to support. Of just lbs but our economy not another countries, though if I'm short on cash I'll more than likely to with what gets me the best deal world me it's a double edge sword and each situation will vary. 100bucks doesn't bother me if I'm building though and we are talking a few thousand saved well.......I'd probably go online and stay local for the suspension and frame.(major stuff)

Last edited:

beardi

Likes Dirt
.. in the lo g run the more we decide to go to the local the more it can pay off to us in the future.

I think it comes down to personal preferan e I buy local but that's because I prefer it, each to thier own. I still think we need to support. Of just lbs but our economy not another countries
If it had been paying off in the past all of us would be shopping there. The fact is it wasn't so we took our hard earned elsewhere. The day an LBS offers what we want for the price we want it we'll all be back there!

When we buy Shimano from our LBS guess who gets the most benefit? Shimano in Japan. Making stuff and selling it to other countries helps the economy. Asking people to be charitable to save the economy will be a hard sell.

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
I'll put my order in for a patch!

Went into my LBS the other day to enquire about some spokes i needed to finish a wheel- my "club member price" $5.50ea, online i can buy the same spoke for $0.65C, i need 16 so will i pay $88 or $10.40???
What spokes?! Cheapest I can get DT Competitions online is about 80c each and they sell for $1-$2 each here?

CT

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Let me clarify I said 5% In regards to how we buy not why.
The Poster said that people see a cheap price and they buy the part but if they didn't see the cheap part they wouldn't buy the part anyway. Ie they never had Intention to buy the part, basically impulse buying.

I said 5% as I would assume most ie 95% of us don't buy parts on impulse because we see them cheap online. We buy them because we need them or are building a bike. We have the intent to buy not impulsively buying. We then Go online to get a cheaper price.
The 5% I said is in regards to impulse buying not online shoppers.
Online shoppers or those who are not I pulsing buying are part of the 95%.

Now that is clear.
I think we did get your point driftking (well I did anyway) - Classic example for me - I need a new tyre, my budget is $50. For $50 i can get a maxxis or kenda in aus from my LBS. When I look online, i can get any schwalbe, continental whatever, and I have far more choice of sizes online. OK, so i choose online. next, I log on, and in my basket and in my favourites I have some grips, a jersey, then i might add a chain and a cassette as spares that I know i will eventually need.

the need for one thing, drives the purchase of a stack more BECAUSE they are cheap and good value. Having said that i bought my last chain because i needed it from an aus ebay seller, and I bought a pair of assos bibs from an aussie shop online because it was cheaper (or equivalent)than my online go to stores.

The example here is of someone who put down $1200 for an XT groupo, probikeshop would have shipped one out for $560. Maybe, if he had ordered from bike24 he would have got the groupo plus a bunch of other stuff, OR maybe have gone XTR. I sure as shit wouldnt spend $1200 on XT, i'd buy SLX, but at $600 from os i can see the value.

Thats whats going on, we are buying more and better stuff with the money we save, and we no longer need to shop around, we can trust our online dealers for the most part to give hot pricing. TBH, wiggle is my favourite store from value and service perspective, they've been great when stuff has gone pear shaped - far easier to fix than my LBS would have been.

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep i understood the 5% and do the same as PB.

Spokes are Revos and just checked the online price is $0.86ea...

MARKL

Eats Squid
I think it comes down to personal preferan e I buy local but that's because I prefer it, each to thier own. I still think we need to support. Of just lbs but our economy not another countries, though if I'm short on cash I'll more than likely to with what gets me the best deal world me it's a double edge sword and each situation will vary. 100bucks doesn't bother me if I'm building though and we are talking a few thousand saved well.......I'd probably go online and stay local for the suspension and frame.(major stuff)
Sorry the whole good for/supporting our economy line is...bull shit.

If I buy something OS for $400 instead of locally for $1000. (numbers are for illustrative purposes only)

Now on the assumption that I believe all the arguments that the locals can't buy it for $400 - what is the difference? The $400 is still going overseas the other $600 is staying very, very local - my hip pocket not the local distro/LBS.

And if I a buying better than them well that must be good for the economy as well.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Mmm, just had a good old internet trawl, you might be on to something.

I guess the owner is off to get audited or been taken away on their spaceship to have his thetans zapped.
That explains why the Carnegie store frequently has a Dianetics delivery van outside it. Often wondered about that....

delbified

Likes Bikes
If I understand Insolvency laws, I see the above statement incorrect.
Consumers will generally be ordinary unsecured creditors and as such do not have any priority under the Corporations Act
and will only be paid after monies owing to other classes of creditors have been repaid.

JBG, if you paid by credit card.....request a refund or chargeback to your card via you bank. It may help??
certainly as an unsecured creditor he will be behind secured ones, yes.

what is illegal though is for the shop to have taken his money while insolvent, as they obviously were. you could complain to ASIC about that, but good luck, it happens all the time.

the credit card tip is a good one. otherwise, take it up with the administrator, but i wouldn't be holding my breath. even if they have the groupset, it will most likely be hocked to help pay back creditors in the line ahead of you.

lesson: never pay up front for stuff.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Until SRAM and shimano do there own distributing , we will all still be getting screwed on price. . I think as competition in he market place becomes more fierce I feel SRAM will be the one to make a breake for it and do self distributing as all the components under there banner are slipping in market favor .
I find it strange that SRAM hasn't already have there own "SRAM " bike shops that do there range of components only .
When it comes to buying OS I always buy frame and forks in OZ and if I can get a deal on he drive train at the same time I get it as well , other components I buy OS . But in the intrem of a new bike I always buy OS .
Buisness is changing , shops are closing but online businesses are opening . If people spend less on bike parts they will spend he money in other areas of the economy . If the austrailan distributors want to stay in business they really need to go to the source and supply from off shore and become competitive .

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
replying to delbified

The laws regarding insolvency are also why there is never any notice of these things - Accountant tells you you are insolvent, and you may not take any money or trade at that point.

As you say never pay upfront, almost any business that requires upfront payment in full to order a product in, has lost their trading terms and is on the edge of solvency/bankruptcy. If you run a bike shop and shimano wont supply you till you forward them a cheque, well you arent going to be a bike shop long are you.......

Last edited:

Yet1

Likes Dirt
I had placed an order for a Yeti SB66c (and paid 100% upfront on my credit card) at BSC. I put in the necessary paperwork with the CC company (ANZ) and got all the money back.

jbg

Likes Dirt
I had placed an order for a Yeti SB66c (and paid 100% upfront on my credit card) at BSC. I put in the necessary paperwork with the CC company (ANZ) and got all the money back.
Good to hear! what sort of time frame did this happen around? I just did the same on Thursday with commonwealth.
still no notice from Bsc.
Been looking online as I'm coming to terms with the fact of buying another group (not sure what bike store in melbourne I will use now) and the prices I've been looking at are almost identical to bsc's!
I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that shimano's prices are set and don't have room to budge or bike stores are competing in price with online stores like crc??

redbruce

Eats Squid
Good to hear! what sort of time frame did this happen around? I just did the same on Thursday with commonwealth.
still no notice from Bsc.
Been looking online as I'm coming to terms with the fact of buying another group (not sure what bike store in melbourne I will use now) and the prices I've been looking at are almost identical to bsc's!
I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that shimano's prices are set and don't have room to budge or bike stores are competing in price with online stores like crc??
I was in the market for a saint rear derailleur a couple of years ago. Local LBS: $270, TBSM: $199 delivered, CRC: $123 delivered.

As it turned out CRC were out of stock by the time I had checked around for pricing so I went back to the LBS and told them what I had. LBS looked up his price and did the deal for $200 (essentially matching TBSM) and pointing out that he was making no money out of it. Thankfully the distributor had it in stock (unlike most S parts I order) and it arrived in a day.

I asked why the LBS didnt just buy from CRC and resell and he said if distributors got wind of it they would stop supplying him.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I was in the market for a saint rear derailleur a couple of years ago. Local LBS: $270, TBSM: $199 delivered, CRC: $123 delivered.

As it turned out CRC were out of stock by the time I had checked around for pricing so I went back to the LBS and told them what I had. LBS looked up his price and did the deal for $200 (essentially matching TBSM) and pointing out that he was making no money out of it. Thankfully the distributor had it in stock (unlike most S parts I order) and it arrived in a day.

I asked why the LBS didnt just buy from CRC and resell and he said if distributors got wind of it they would stop supplying him.
Sounds like all the shops need to get together and boycott the local suppliers and demand a better price or form up and parallel import, I know this sounds extreme and would never likely happen, I also realise that due to various taxes, local will always cost a more, but this yet again highlights the problems with local pricing. Most of us are happy to pay more locally, especially if there's decent service thrown in, but in a case like this I would have been on the CRC website that day and spent my extra $77 on groceries, fuel, more bikes parts and flowers for the Mrs in that order.

Can a LBS really blame a consumer buying overseas if that was the case here and save about 40% (maths in my head, probably wrong)- $77 in a case like this?

jbg

Likes Dirt
there does seem to be a runout starting on shimano groupsets atm for 2012.

http://www.probikeshop.com/sales-sh...780-11-34-down-swing-brakes-silver/73917.html

thats very cheap, around $570 landed plus 1.5% credit card fee (depending on your bank) - given the Op i under risk of losing all his money after trying to go local, I'd be going for this deal - at least the loss is then only effectively $570 not $1200 (feels a little better surely?)
Dang........that's cheap!! thats pretty hard to beat, pretty much the exact same parts at less than 1/2 the price!
At this point $570 is an easier pill to swallow than $1200.
Some good points made here and and I guess that the big stores that are doing well are the ones that have adapted to the online market, TBSM etc.
Guess the $630 that I will save online will stay local now.............down at the pub ;)
Nice spot pharmaboy, cheers!