Have Mountain Bikers become the new Motards?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I B lines were made the faster line, would that stop people cutting/straight lining to get a better time?
The Strava types would probably froth it, but it'd also mean all the gumbys would be far harder to pass safely and would create more trail congestion (unless they're nice gumbys like me that GTFO the trails when they hear someone coming... :) )

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty consistently a B-line rider, so obviously I'm in favour of the things. But I do believe the B-line should be a slower line, and there should be "armouring" around the line choices so no-one's splitting the difference.

It's one thing I reckon You Yangs MTB has done well, ie: Cressy isn't a super hectic track - but there's options to make it easier or harder as you need. The paved rock-gardens are pretty much mandatory, but safely passable so long as your ambition doesn't exceed your talent - but the small jumps have B-lines that keep the speed matched with those riding with you so you don't end up log-jamming the trail - and the bigger gap jumps have B-lines that get you right out of the way and slow you up a bit so the more skilled riders can safely pass while sending the A-line and don't end up accidentally launching into you as you re-merge.
I think Derby (maybe I should say World Trail) has generally done this really well too, from my experience, heaps of features to ride or not ride. I don't think it's a bad thing if a trail can be ridden by multiple skill levels in different ways. Obviously needs to be done carefully as you say so you don't end up encouraging beginners to stop in the middle of the trail any more than they already do.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Add to that the last few times I've been out riding, I've noticed a distinct uptick in shitty b-lines & shortcuts carved into long-standing legitimised trails, which is just disappointing to see. It just reinforces the view that mountain bikers don't care about the impact of trails or anyone else but themselves, which I hope is only the annoying few.
found this at macedon before the recen logging, used to b about 20 people who rode up there, almost none rode it in the wet, then a group of ebike rd started hitting runs at any time of year, carved out some nice ruts, and were there was a couple of tighter turns on descents they just craved newer straight lines to the side of the track.
only really good riders could ride it in the wet, but with the 25kg ebike s and 3” tyres - a group were going all the time, doing 5x the runs they used to b able to...wrecked the track for me and a few others
i go the it’s too wet for you but not us, problem is the track would peel away when it’s wet

i know it sounds i’m anti ebike - not really, there is an old local guy who can only physically ride about 6-7km non the flat, it’s been great for him..& he;s a courteous trail user, even comes to working bee’s. also a young local couple, early 20’s who mostly carve in the bush, mild single track -again courteous users, move aside/slow down when you’re near

Last edited:

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
found this at macedon before the recen logging, used to b about 20 people who rode up there, almost none rode it in the wet, then a group of ebike rd started hitting runs at any time of year, carved out some nice ruts, and were there was a couple of tighter turns on descents they just craved newer straight lines to the side of the track.....
That chute in the mid section got deeper each time I visited! ... Each time I was thinking 'Today might be the day my pedals clip the edges' o_O

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Stromlo got massively sanitised last year, made me sad...
Having ridden way too many 24hrs there, I can actually chart the changes in trail conditions with some accuracy against time.
Unfortunately, medium corners and minor rock obstacles have been removed in the sake of making it beginner/ family-friendly.
Whilst I am not totally against the concept if you are going to dumb down the trails, at least give those that can ride an option, without having to fail at riding black diamond trails.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
Some bits didn't bother me, like the main climb. Lots of beginners and unfit people heading up there.

But I did scratch my head at some of the levelling out the back, like Brindabella (which wasn't tech anyway) and then there was a nice techy climb out of a gully (can't remember the name of this section), which was largely rocks, but there were lines to be learned. They steamrolled a path up that for no good reason.

Luckily though it tends to come back after a few months of riders and some weather, and they seem to leave the darker blue stuff well alone.
Totally agree. With all the extra people they do need to provide a green run to the top and down. Yeah, many of us had a harder time when we started but that’s just the direction much of the trails have taken...winch up fly down.

Just hope they leave the other stuff alone. Only really ride up the main climb at night these days...loving the other climbs more at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Wylde downsized ones of the A-line jumps since it looked to be magnet for newbies armed with cameras, Insta sprinkled with Strava accounts to get an awesome d00dy jump shot. Mind you, it wasn't even a big jump, a minor drop even by my nancy standards. The ambulance has been there a few times. It goes something like this........

I don't wish bad on anybody but, well, it is hard to watch without wondering.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Many riders seem to care solely about speed, and quickest time from top to bottom (or vice versa is you’re a sick puppy). Rocks, logs, corners, jumps only add seconds to the clock.’Fun’ seems to have been forgotten in the equation.
Did you somehow in roundabout way say 29er with Strava there? Asking for a friend.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
The amount of kickers and skinnies in the local hood that has appeared since schools shut down has been pretty heartening to see around here, but there's been a few spots where the enthusiasm got a bit out of hand. Point the kids in the right direction and they are usually pretty good about doing the right thing.

stirk

Burner
Wylde downsized ones of the A-line jumps since it looked to be magnet for newbies armed with cameras, Insta sprinkled with Strava accounts to get an awesome d00dy jump shot. Mind you, it wasn't even a big jump, a minor drop even by my nancy standards. The ambulance has been there a few times. It goes something like this........

That was a fun feature.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt

This feature sucked. I almost did what the second guy did hitting it too fast to roll and thinking it was an easy gap at first.

Heaps of trails and being dumbed down on my local as there are more and more beginners pushing lines around the smallest rock or tree root. I b suspect a lot of it is parents wanting their kids to ride the same trails they do.

It just goes to show that you need enough trails for every level of rider.

We use to have very tight trails that were only a spade width or 2 wide. There were trees that you could not get 700mm bars through. These trails where an awesome challenge and most of them are now 1m wide and the trees are cut.
The longer bikes and more aggressive tyres don’t help with trail erosion that then leads to people seeking a smooth line.

We even have people taking to rocks with a chisel.

But by far the worst is the fucktard painting yellow lines down big rock rolls to indicate their line choice.