VIC Have You Seen It? You Yangs Yowie Saturday 6th October, 15km, 33km, 66km, 99km

GMBC

Squid
Well, the course is set, the plates are printed, its all systems go for a cracker of a Yowie...

278 entries when they closed today, set to be the biggest Yowie of all time.

Thanks must go out to the AWESOME crew who gave up their Friday to set up this course, 250 traffic cones is not a fun job at all!

Bed time now. zzzz

Will you see it?

Knut

Troll hunter
Make sure you get past the Yowie. I could hear the howling all through the night. He is hunting Trolls.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
The rain seems to have calmed the Yowie, I spotted him sheltering in the trees.

Great day, great to see so many people out there.
The slick rocks down travs were made up by the hero dirt in kurrajong!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Another great Yowie, as Ben said the rain made the track magic. Not sure about the Traffic cones down the middle of the road, seemed to cause several crashes and saw several very near misses at the start of the 66km race.

sossy

Saucier
The cones weren't our preferred option, however we had to work with what we had. The good news is it made further progress for next year!

Next year will only be bigger and better.

Thanks to all who made it out, especially to those who volunteered for the day. Couldn't have done it without you. To the committee who make these things happen, thank you!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Totally understand Rich, there is no doubt safety and insurance provisions that need to be adhered to in organising an event that many of us will not appreciate or understand without being involved in the organising of such an event, particularly when riders are riding down a public road in the opposite direction to traffic flow.

In the 66km race it was an issue in part because the pace at the start wasn't that fast probably allowing riders that aren't experienced in being at the front end of a race start, added to this there were some actions of riders swerving between the cones from one side to the other, which creates nervousness in those riders that are following.

As far as an alternative to the cones I don't have one, sorry

quiggs

toddcuth

Likes Bikes
thank to all the crew that made the yowie a great race for me today very happy with my times this year, another awesome gmbc race.
cheers Todd.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
As usual GMBC put on a killer event - kudos to the organisers involved!
re: the witches hats, I was behind one guy who was swerving between them - interesting tactic! Funnily enough I gave him plenty of space :)

I got a bit confused with the witches hats. Were we:
* supposed to have the witches hats TO our right (ie ride on the LHS of the track) or
* were we supposed to be right of the witches hats (ie ride on the RHS of the track) ?

I clearly need to listen more carefully :p
Now if I could only work out how to get faster :)

riderideride

Likes Dirt
The Yowie was a bit quiet this year! When I passed him he looked like he was just going for a stroll in the bushes. Not very scary! :D Great race as always. Travs + Mud + 2nd boardwalk = first time Ive ever stacked it there! Wowzers that was slippery!
The African drummers were so awesome! A much better spot for them than at the churn. What a lovely bunch cheering and hooting us on :) I could hear them from Travs and was wondering the whole time where they were! Such fun! :)

mrbailey

Likes Bikes
Thanks Geelong. Had a great day. I really enjoy that loop, it's got something for everyone.

I didn't see the Yowie. Bit of rain scare it off?

macboy

Likes Dirt
A great day. My first crack at the 99 and I survived.
I found the Yowie shivering down near Drysdale Rd. Maybe it needs to go back into hibernation?

Tibbsy

Squid
That was my first Yowie (back end of the 99km), bloody fantastic race. Really well run by a top crew, hats off to the Geelong MTB club and all of the volunteer!! I loved the course, mix of really techy and fast n flowing. I'll be back next year!!

johndh

Likes Dirt
Just looked at results, a bit confused is there no aged based categories results? Haven't ridden the yowie so not aware of categories.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Just looked at results, a bit confused is there no aged based categories results? Haven't ridden the yowie so not aware of categories.
The categories were the distance and sex. I've never seen age categories in the yowie.

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
Well done GMBC for smashing out another one. The bar was raised once again by a club. Congratulations to all the hunters. I hope you came away with something new. It's a race that will challenge almost every skill and strength you have. It will also identify every weakness. It is a race where you can't hide. The Yowie will always beat you if he sees a moment of weakness. Good on you guys.

The Yowie has distances and categories. By dividing the race into distances, it becomes more competitive. It allows riders to self seed in the distance they choose to be competitive in. Simple, fun and challenging to all.

GR8M8

Squid
age results

I also would love to see the ages added to the results. Would make it a lot more interesting. Thanks to all that made it a great experience.

samlu

Likes Bikes
Probably the most fun race I've ever done! I thought the simple distance categories worked well, no need for age in every race. There were a few people taking photos, any idea where they'd be found?