VIC Have You Seen It? You Yangs Yowie Saturday 6th October, 15km, 33km, 66km, 99km

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
Thanks for Racing .

Thanks everyone that came and raced the Yowie on Saturday. Fantastic turn out , great vibe on the track and well done to everyone who finished the race. It is a very challenging track , and a combo of skills are required to finish the race. If you did finish pat your self on the back.
Re picks sorry I didn't get around the coarse, as i was required as a marshal at the last minute but Cathy did take some great shots , link above.

Also I would like to make a special thank you to Parks Vic and the rangers at the You Yangs. They are wonderful to work with and the access we have to these great trails is really appreciated by the whole Mt Bike Community and the GMBC crew. if you see the rangers in the park pls take time to give them some feed back and say thanks.

sossy

Saucier
Interesting to note that no sponsored riders won any spot prizes...

The categories are what they are, 15km, 33km, 66km, 99km mens and womens, that's what they were advertised,that's what they were for entries, and that's what they were on the day...

There's plenty of races with a category for everyone, the Yowie doesn't...

Knut

Troll hunter
Interesting to note that sponsored team riders won each distance.
John... Has riding over those rocks finally effected you?

I also would love to see the ages added to the results. Would make it a lot more interesting. Thanks to all that made it a great experience.
Ok, there are so many races that have age categories, grade categories, team categories, skill categories blardy, blardy blah. The Yowie is a different race. MTBA wanted to call it an Enduro... Sure man. Back to answer your question M8, there are 18 categories, not including the kids. I think that GMBC have everyone covered. But its great to get feedback. You probably know enough people to work it out yourself. A bit of fun for you.

How did you go? What parts did you like the most? What are you going to improve on next year?

Probably the most fun race I've ever done! I thought the simple distance categories worked well, no need for age in every race. There were a few people taking photos, any idea where they'd be found?
MTB Kat is on this site. You could PM her for some of her amazing images.

Good work Rich, ripped it up.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
John, it sounds to me what you want is the Yowie to be like every other event.

A variety of events - how they are run, what they offer, their target audience - having not everyone run their events the same is a good thing.

GMBC have made a deliberate effort to do things differently, and it works. I'll encourage them to keep doing what they're doing.

GR8M8

Squid
Ok, there are so many races that have age categories, grade categories, team categories, skill categories blardy, blardy blah. The Yowie is a different race. MTBA wanted to call it an Enduro... Sure man. Back to answer your question M8, there are 18 categories, not including the kids. I think that GMBC have everyone covered. But its great to get feedback. You probably know enough people to work it out yourself. A bit of fun for you.

How did you go? What parts did you like the most? What are you going to improve on next year?
I went well, averaged 168bpm, really happy I could ride at that intensity. I beat some others, others beat me. I really enjoyed how well it was organised & how friendly everyone was.
I'm not asking for other categories, and I'm not looking for external rewards. I would just like the ages attached to the results as it would give me some further perspective to my performance. As you get older and slower (compared to others) it is good to find any positives to help keep up your enthusiasm. I'm very curious to how I compare to others around my age for my own satisfaction, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find that out. I've just come back to the sport & I ride out there most days and I'm very appreciative to everyone that has done the work out there to create such a incredible place for all to enjoy.

Last edited:

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
try Strava

I went well, averaged 168bpm, really happy I could ride at that intensity. I beat some others, others beat me. I really enjoyed how well it was organised & how friendly everyone was.
I'm not asking for other categories, and I'm not looking for external rewards. I would just like the ages attached to the results as it would give me some further perspective to my performance. As you get older and slower (compared to others) it is good to find any positives to help keep up your enthusiasm. I'm very curious to how I compare to others around my age for my own satisfaction, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find that out. I've just come back to the sport & I ride out there most days and I'm very appreciative to everyone that has done the work out there to create such a incredible place for all to enjoy.
not everyone in the race is on Strava but lots of riders are. for the sort of info you are looking for try Strava. you can click on age groups, lap times various segments, climbs descents, like many of us you can waste more time on Strava than you can riding your bike.

sossy

Saucier
We may be able to generate results with ages attached, I can look into that if it helps? This data is there, however I don't want to publish that data and then have people asking for a thousand categories next year. The Yowie is a course with sections for everyone, it's not a race with a category for everyone.

It's interesting that the person making the most noise about categories didn't race, and one of the happiest finishers of the day was the last rider across the line, I think he is still smiling.

GR8M8

Squid
We may be able to generate results with ages attached, I can look into that if it helps?
Yes please.

Just finished a great ride out there this morning, the place is in great shape. You wouldn't know that there was a big event there on Saturday. Well done to all that cleaned up, hopefully I may be able to help next time.

johndh

Likes Dirt
I am not making "that much" noise about categories, I only asking a question as I didn't attend the event.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
I am not making "that much" noise about categories, you are all doing enough of that for me, I only asking a question as I didn't attend the event.
I look at events that offer value for $$ and have raised similar questions here for other events run by PP and clubs. I looked at the Yowie but a Saturday event, the lack of age categories (if I want to ride the great tracks at the Yowie I can do them for nothing any other time and compare times on Strava) and doing the Scot 24hr ruled it out.
There is an age category for you. It's called '99km Men'/'Open Men'.

If you're choosing not to enter an event just because there's "no age category" for you, then I believe you may wish to re-evaluate why you race. And where do we draw the line - 20 year increments? 10 year? 5 year? 1 year and 78 days? What, a 10 year age category bracket is good enough but a 100-year age category isn't?

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is it with the lynch mob?

Come on guys, ease up on the fella!

He didn't make any scathing criticism of the Yowie, he just asked a question about categories. No need to ramble FFS...

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Rich - perhaps just release the raw data as a CSV file (or equivalent) and let people "slice and dice" it the way they want - of course include a disclaimer that this is in no way an indication or suggestion next year's YYY will have age categories :)

The current format and categories (categories being distance and sex) is perfectly fine - its a club event after all. Leave age categories to the Otway, Wombat, Highland Fling, etc

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
No Age Categories

Unless you are in with a shot of winning you don't care about categories.
All you care about is your time.
The Yowie as a race works, don't change it.
I am ecstatic about the race as this was my fourth time and my lap time was a personal best.
I may try 2 laps next year.

Knut

Troll hunter
Don't disturb the Yowie.

The mystical creature that lurks under the cover of darkness, to gain knowledge of how you train, sleep, eat and race. To learn your habits, strengths and weaknesses. Studies how to exploit them. Has a group of close friends on Rotorburn. Don't piss him off or he will come from out of the shadows, without warning and fuck your shit up.

Last edited: